ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mayorob
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by mayorob » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:52 am

Jcampbell05 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:05 am
They have reached March 2019.

Handed to London Embassy: 15/02/2019
Email confirming it arrived in Dublin: 15/03/2019
Email confirming address for certificate: 25/11/2019
Entered into FBR: Waiting
Certificates arrived: Waiting
Very exciting! Mine went straight to Dublin and they received it 5 days after yours, so any day now hopefully!

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

"Your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly and a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery."

Squeeeeeeeeee! I have in fact moved countries since I submitted my application so provided two government proofs of new address right after receiving the email this morning UK time. I don't want to count my chickens...has anyone received this email and not had an approval? I can't recall anyone in this group having that experience but given that I was missing my grandparents' marriage certificate and had to send an affidavit along with my grandfather's birth and death certificates I'm suffering from some doubt.

elise1313
Newly Registered

Post by elise1313 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:16 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm
"Your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly and a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery."

Squeeeeeeeeee! I have in fact moved countries since I submitted my application so provided two government proofs of new address right after receiving the email this morning UK time. I don't want to count my chickens...has anyone received this email and not had an approval? I can't recall anyone in this group having that experience but given that I was missing my grandparents' marriage certificate and had to send an affidavit along with my grandfather's birth and death certificates I'm suffering from some doubt.
Congratulations, DanaMarie! :D
Since you replied to me I've had an e-mail saying they accept my explanation for not being able to provide the original death certificate, so I should be on the home stretch soon! It's going to be shamrocks all the way!!!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Is that what you did for not having grandparents marriage certificate? Please, tell me anything else you did.
I have a cousin that has that very dilemma. No marriage certificate for grandparents exists due to 1906 San Francisco earthquake. I guess I'll relay this little bit of hope.
Congrats...usually after that email you get your certificate.
jgclancy

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:15 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Is that what you did for not having grandparents marriage certificate? Please, tell me anything else you did.
I have a cousin that has that very dilemma. No marriage certificate for grandparents exists due to 1906 San Francisco earthquake. I guess I'll relay this little bit of hope.
jgclancy
The situation with my grandparents was that I could not prove they were ever legally married, although my grandmother was a devout Catholic until the day she died, attended the same church from the time she arrived in the US, baptized all her children in that same church, identified herself as married, and changed her name to reflect the same. I exhausted all avenues to try to obtain their marriage certificate, through the church and also through the state. So we had to concede the probability that they were never legally married and hid that fact from both the church and the family. In doing so, I had to provide my grandfather's birth and death certificates and because my grandmother had changed her name and her documents presented her as a widow we needed to explain those facts. My attorney drafted an affidavit that explained our efforts to obtain the marriage documents and attached the proof of the effort, and stated that we believed that there was never actually a legal marriage that had taken place but that my grandmother presented herself that way as was not unusual in that era.

@elise1313 that's great news for you as well!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:12 am

DanaMarie wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:15 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

jgclancy
The situation with my grandparents was that I could not prove they were ever legally married, although my grandmother was a devout Catholic until the day she died, attended the same church from the time she arrived in the US, baptized all her children in that same church, identified herself as married, and changed her name to reflect the same. I exhausted all avenues to try to obtain their marriage certificate, through the church and also through the state. So we had to concede the probability that they were never legally married and hid that fact from both the church and the family. In doing so, I had to provide my grandfather's birth and death certificates and because my grandmother had changed her name and her documents presented her as a widow we needed to explain those facts. My attorney drafted an affidavit that explained our efforts to obtain the marriage documents and attached the proof of the effort, and stated that we believed that there was never actually a legal marriage that had taken place but that my grandmother presented herself that way as was not unusual in that era.

@elise1313 that's great news for you as well!
Thanks for the explanation. It will give a ray of hope for my 3rd cousin. We know there is no record so I've told him to contact CA records dept and get a letter stating that fact. Maybe get a professional genealogist to do a search then submit a letter about finding what they find (probably nothing), toss in a few Censuses and other documents & then have an affidavit drawn up. A bit to do but doable!
jgclancy

lainyb
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by lainyb » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:24 am

Sulla wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:24 am
jgclancy wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:49 pm
lainyb wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:33 pm
Hello everyone,

Thank god for this forum! : )

I’ve applied for my FBR from New Zealand as currently residing here however hold a British passport. Both grandparents were Irish however just went through my grandad as knew all his important dates.

Sent off application – 12/07/2019
Received confirmation – 15/07/2019

The New Zealand consulate website keeps changing on how long it will take, was 6 months, then 4, now at 8 months..so who knows when it will be processed :) Anyone else applied from New Zealand?

Thanks
In Sulla's list if you scroll up the page is one New Zealand case----applied Dec 2018 -granted FBR Jul 4 2019. I don't see anything newer
The list does not contain information on the nation of origin for each case. For some cases, it does, but this is not the norm. Generally, I add this info only when the case in via and embassy and therefore in the non-direct application stream. This is because embassy cases have been experiencing faster processing times and I wanted to avoid misleading the majority of applicants. Since NZ applicants still go through the embassy route, I should have added this info to any such cases on the list. However, I can't guarantee that I have done this 100% of the time. If there are any other applicants on the list who applied from NZ (or other embassy route nations) that have not been included then please let me know.
thank you Sulla that does help. I see there was one New zealand case and that took around 6 months so hopefully thats still the case :)

charlie13
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by charlie13 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:58 am

Hey everyone,

I have submitted my online passport application (FBR first time application) and the estimated issue date on the tracker is January 2020, however, it says the passport is at the printing stage and has passed the processing stage. Does anyone have any experience with this in terms of the time between printing and issuing dates? Given the progress bar seems nearly full I would have thought it would hopefully be quicker!!

Thanks for the help :)

Emma Williams
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Emma Williams » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:14 am

charlie13 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:58 am
Hey everyone,

I have submitted my online passport application (FBR first time application) and the estimated issue date on the tracker is January 2020, however, it says the passport is at the printing stage and has passed the processing stage. Does anyone have any experience with this in terms of the time between printing and issuing dates? Given the progress bar seems nearly full I would have thought it would hopefully be quicker!!

Thanks for the help :)
Hi Charlie13,

I sorted my mums passport last month, and the passport arrived back within two weeks - nearly four weeks before the estimated issue date. I expect you will have it before Christmas!

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Journey’s at an end.

Post by Mori68 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Well, I’m finally there. My passport has now arrived.

I applied for the FBR on 4 November 2018.

Entered into FBR on 8 October 2019.

FBR certificate received 30 October 2019.

Applied for passport via mail to Cork on 14 November 2019.

Passport received 28 November.

Good things come to those who wait. Thanks to Sulla and all here on the forum for their support and advice. Good luck to all of you here.

I’d like to dedicate my proud new Irish citizenship to my beautiful Dad, through whom I claimed my citizenship, who sadly passed away on 4 November 2019.

Love you always Dad, rest in eternal peace. Myles.

Ezza
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by Ezza » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi Everyone

Long time lurker first time poster, my application was done in February in the UK this year. Australian on a visa, very happy because my visa is up in 6 months :D.

FBR application payment: 11/02/2019
FBR confirmation of documents: 14/02/2019
FBR Confirmation of Address: 2/12/19 and entered into the system.

Interesting part I will be on holidays for the next month so they agreed to send it to my parents who I will spending Xmas with.

Bridgette
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bridgette » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 am

Hi everyone!

Monday I finally received my FBR in the mail, entry dated October 30th. Surprisingly, the post office just left it in my mailbox despite a signature being required..

Now on to the passport! Does anyone know if it’s faster/worth a trip to the consulate in NYC, or if mailing it in works just as well?

Bridgette
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bridgette » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 am

Hi everyone!

Monday I finally received my FBR in the mail, entry dated October 30th. Surprisingly, the post office just left it in my mailbox despite a signature being required..

Now on to the passport! Does anyone know if it’s faster/worth a trip to the consulate in NYC, or if mailing it in works just as well?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:08 am

Bridgette wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 am
Does anyone know if it’s faster/worth a trip to the consulate in NYC, or if mailing it in works just as well?
I doubt personal delivery would make it any faster than overnight mail. It takes several weeks to process. I got my passport about a year ago. From what I understand, the consulate does some checking/processing, then forwards it to Dublin for final processing. Mine didn't appear in the online tracking portal until seven weeks after it was received in San Francisco. So it was apparently there for quite a while. Eleven days after it first appeared in the portal, it was printed and dispatched. The passport is sent back to the consulate, and they will send it to you.

The whole process took about ten weeks for me - which was a lot less than the initial estimates they gave me. That said, a lot has changed (and apparently is still changing) since I got my FBR and my passport about a year ago. My FBR took four months - just to illustrate the difference between now and then.

So your passport application is likely going to the end of a long processing queue in NYC, where it will wait its turn for a few weeks.

Rinefitz
Newly Registered

Post by Rinefitz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi all,
I am posting my FRB application and supporting documents tomorrow. Couple of questions:

Did you put photos in the envelope loose? Can I use a paperclip? Also same for business card of witness, could I paperclip that to the application?

For my grandad I have his birth and death certificate - do I need to include his marriage certificate as it only says if applicable for name change. So assuming as it’s my grandad this isn’t the case.

Thanks in advance 😊

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am

Rinefitz wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:27 pm
Hi all,
I am posting my FRB application and supporting documents tomorrow. Couple of questions:

Did you put photos in the envelope loose? Can I use a paperclip? Also same for business card of witness, could I paperclip that to the application?

For my grandad I have his birth and death certificate - do I need to include his marriage certificate as it only says if applicable for name change. So assuming as it’s my grandad this isn’t the case.

Thanks in advance 😊
For the photos, it does not matter much as long as they are of the right size and specifications. You can paperclip them or include them in a small photo bag. I would not just put them loose in the main envelope.

The marriage certificate for your grandfather is an essential document. Failure to include it will lead to a request for more information down the line.

Tom91
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Tom91 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi,

I applied February 2019 and received the receipt email shortly after. Today I have received an email saying my application is insufficient (see below).

‘Unfortunately we cannot proceed with the application without the following documentation:

1. The Original Full Birth Certificate of your father – copy only submitted and not accepted

2. The Original Full Birth Certificate of your grandfather – copy only submitted and not accepted‘

I do not have the original birth certificates for my father and grandfather - I believe they got lost over the years. And when ordering a replacement (UK for my dad’s, Ireland for my grandad’s) they say ‘certified copy of’ - is it impossible to get a true original birth certificate without it being classed as a copy? If so, is this the end of my application? Any help appreciated, thanks.

mayorob
Newly Registered

Post by mayorob » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:30 pm

Tom91 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Hi,

I applied February 2019 and received the receipt email shortly after. Today I have received an email saying my application is insufficient (see below).

‘Unfortunately we cannot proceed with the application without the following documentation:

1. The Original Full Birth Certificate of your father – copy only submitted and not accepted

2. The Original Full Birth Certificate of your grandfather – copy only submitted and not accepted‘

I do not have the original birth certificates for my father and grandfather - I believe they got lost over the years. And when ordering a replacement (UK for my dad’s, Ireland for my grandad’s) they say ‘certified copy of’ - is it impossible to get a true original birth certificate without it being classed as a copy? If so, is this the end of my application? Any help appreciated, thanks.
I've done the exact same as you here it seems. I assumed it would be fine too - I mean, it's the best thing you can get aside from the actual piece of paper produced when they were born, which could be literally anywhere. This is a bit worrying!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Tom91 wrote:
is it impossible to get a true original birth certificate without it being classed as a copy? If so, is this the end of my application? Any help appreciated, thanks.
All UK birth/death/marriage certificates include the wording 'Certified copy of an entry...' This is saying that the certificate is a copy of an entry in the official births/deaths/marriage register - not that it's a copy of a certificate. (I have the original birth certificate from when I was born and that has this wording on it.) I applied successfully for FBR using certificates, with this 'certified copy' wording, which I'd ordered from the UK General Register Office at https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate and from the Irish Health Service Executive at http://lifeevents.hse.ie

I suspect your problem might be that you've sent photocopies of your father's and grandfather's certificates. The originals have watermarks to prove they were printed at the GRO and will be rejected if not. Alternatively, you may have sent the 'short form' versions of these certificates. The FBR process requires you use the 'long form' versions, all of which can be obtained from the links above.

Otherwise, DFA may have made a mistake and you'll need to chase it up with them.

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:10 pm

I used the copies I got from gro.gov.uk and nidirect.gov.uk for my own citizenship/passport application and they were accepted fine.

The have to be the actual ones printed by the records office (s) though.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:52 am

mayorob wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:30 pm
Tom91 wrote:
Is it impossible to get a true original birth certificate without it being classed as a copy? If so, is this the end of my application? Any help appreciated, thanks.
This is a bit worrying!
You are fine if you obtained a certifed certificate from a legitimate issuing authority and submitted that document (along with a photocopy of it). If you sent only photocopies and kept the government document, that's a problem. You can take that as gospel based on my experience. I obtained my FBR in July 2018, using a birth certificate I ordered from the HSE in Ireland in February 2018 as well. My grandfather was born in 1897. So I submitted a certificate of his birth that was issued over 120 years after his birth.

I do wish that DFA did something to lessen the confusion about what is meant by an "original" certificate.

Rinefitz
Newly Registered

Post by Rinefitz » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:18 pm

All my certificates were obtained from the GRO and Irish health service. They had watermarks and were used for both my parents Irish passport applications, with no problems at all. How strange? Could you please advise when you get clarification from the dfa?

MRRodrigues
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by MRRodrigues » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Hello All,

Firstly, I just wanted to say thank you all for the information. Finding this forum has definitely been a huge help! Below is my timeline of my application process:

- 30/10/18 I submitted my online application and sent over my documents
- 6/11/18 I received confirmation documents were received
- 25/9/19 I received the dreaded CLARIFICATION REQUIRED e-mail and had to submit additional documentation
- 25/11/19 I received the “Your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly and a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery” email

After I received the last email I replied immediately to confirm my address but I never received a reply. I apologize if this has been asked before but I just wanted to make sure that was normal? I know it said my application would be approved shortly but I let my anxiety get the best of me and now I fear they never received my e-mail! If one of you could please help I would appreciate it!!
Matt

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:35 pm

MRRodrigues wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:28 pm
Hello All,

Firstly, I just wanted to say thank you all for the information. Finding this forum has definitely been a huge help! Below is my timeline of my application process:

- 30/10/18 I submitted my online application and sent over my documents
- 6/11/18 I received confirmation documents were received
- 25/9/19 I received the dreaded CLARIFICATION REQUIRED e-mail and had to submit additional documentation
- 25/11/19 I received the “Your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly and a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery” email

After I received the last email I replied immediately to confirm my address but I never received a reply. I apologize if this has been asked before but I just wanted to make sure that was normal? I know it said my application would be approved shortly but I let my anxiety get the best of me and now I fear they never received my e-mail! If one of you could please help I would appreciate it!!
Matt
I received the request for address verification email with the same "will be approved shortly" messaging on 26/11. They don't reply when you submit the address confirmation so don't be worried. It seems that it can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month for documents to be returned along with the FBR certificate. For me, this waiting is worse than the previous 9 months of waiting, I just want to see my certificate in living color!

Bluegill
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registrations

Post by Bluegill » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Just received my FBR certificate and all documents in mail! Here’s my timeline:

1/14/19 sent all documents to Balbriggan from the USA (Chicago)

1/16/19 documents received and email confirmation

11/6/19 email confirmation of address

11/7/19 address confirmed email said I’d receive all documents in a few weeks

12/7/19 all documents received woot!

I will say it’s strange that I had a registered post sitting in my mail box. I didn’t have to sign for it. Possibly an oversight by my postman.

Another note, my application was super straight forwards and never had a request for further documentation. Now onto passport.