ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Harry2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Post by Harry2 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:08 pm

I called eVisa - They said you can say 'No' when it ask you have u visited india before on the eVisa application form as there is no specific entry for OCI. Its fine.

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Correct. People misplace their OCI booklets all the time and they go with e -visa.

When you are granted the e-Visa be careful of the following

The email from them will come like saying something like electronic travel authorisation and with instructions to print it out.

This may not have your photo.

What you actually need is the ETA with your photo on it
the way to get this is to log into the visa site after you got this email and click on check status - then you get the ETA with the photo that you can print out.

Please report back if this is still the case as my information is from around 6 weeks ago.

Harry2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Harry2 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:05 pm

I say dont apply eVisa. The application is confusing, just travel with old passport that has your son's OCI , oci card and new passport and you be fine. Nothing to worry.

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:15 pm

99.9% of the time it's okay.. Its always the airline which creates the issue. Once you reach India it should all be fine

I have never heard of anyone denied entry into India with an 'expired' OCI.
In fact my relative who was denied boarding in the UK (and then travelled 3 days later with an evisa) entered India using her 'technically invalid ' OCI .

On arrival in India the e-visa is dealt with separately AFAIK and had a long queue and one of the employees saw her OCI and took her to the 'normal' queue.She was cleared as normal by the immigration officer.

Deb74
Newly Registered
India

Post by Deb74 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Great..now EVISA site saying I cannot submit unless Travel date is 4 days after I register ..HAHHHH :):(

westcoast984
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by westcoast984 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:06 am

Just an update....we arrived in India (Chennai) this morning. Had no issues when boarding the flight (Cathay Pacific) or at immigration. We carried old passport and submitted OCI renewal online and carried that as well but no one asked for them.

We just handed our new passport and old OCI when checking in and at immigration. No one said anything.

However, I might go ahead and renew the OCI when I go back just for a peace of mind.

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 am

Deb74 That's annoying..There was nothing like that in October. I suppose they do not want people applying at last minute and then saying that they did not get the visa in time.

I had also helped a few british friends apply as well and one of them got the ETA in around 20 hours or so !!.

My only suggestion for those who read this thread is to apply for the longest duration evisa they can afford.There is not much difference in the costs anyway. Do not apply for the 30 day Visa as they may run out before you actually reach India.

Get at least the 1 year e visa ( these start from date of issue as far as I know )

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 am

Just checked with a friend who had recently applied for a e visa.

The e visa ( one year and 5 year) are issued as valid from the date of approval which usually happens in 24-48 hours.

The 30 day evisa is issued as valid from the date of application.

This information could be useful for those who do not have a 4 day window to apply .

PS: This information is valid as of late November.

Deb74
Newly Registered
India

Post by Deb74 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks Jojo001 and Ashish Rastogi for all the Help - I also got this email from BOI - so, hopefully we should be good.Makes me conclude that the Indian Govt knows what they are doing but the consulates and Private agencies- VFS/CKGS are either clueless or high-handed at times .Anyway, please take a printout in case the airlines ask anything- I am going to relax now :)

BOI SUPPORT CENTRE
12:43 AM (8 hours ago)
to me

Dear Sir/Madam,

(A) Indian immigration has no issues provided you carry valid Travel documents i.e. valid Passport and OCI card on the day of journey. It is suggested to carry old Passport on which OCI card was issued/linked to avoid undue/unforeseen delay/trouble.

(B) As per extant guidelines, the OCI card holder re-registration is required each time a new Passport is issued up to the age of 20 years and once after completing 50 years of age. Re-registration of the OCI card is not mandatory each time a new Passport is issued between 20 years to 50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to avail this service, he/she may apply for the same online under OCI miscellaneous services.

(C) It is suggested to apply for the OCI card re-registration at the earliest.

Team BoI support Centre

Harry2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Harry2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm

That is great news!That really helps. Should we just take the above Print out that you pasted from BOI Response and show it to the airlines incase. I am flying qatar airways this weekend!

jsms10
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by jsms10 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:26 pm

@Deb74:
Can you post a pdf copy of that email here clearly showing the sender? So we can print it out and carry it during our travel....
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:21 pm

jsms10 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:26 pm
@Deb74:
Can you post a pdf copy of that email here clearly showing the sender? So we can print it out and carry it during our travel....
Thanks
Members are not permitted to post the names and details of email sender's. They have not given permission for their personal details to be posted on a public immigration forum!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Luv1
Newly Registered
India

Post by Luv1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 pm

I have travelled twice with kids old passport and Oci stamp on it & no problem what so ever . Can’t see the rationale of transferring into new passport when you have Oci certificate ( blue booklet )!

jsms10
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by jsms10 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Luv1 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 pm
I have travelled twice with kids old passport and Oci stamp on it & no problem what so ever . Can’t see the rationale of transferring into new passport when you have Oci certificate ( blue booklet )!
Did you travel recently? Seems like airlines started denying boarding starting in Nov 2018....

Ashish Rastogi
Newly Registered

Post by Ashish Rastogi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:42 am

Update
My wife travelled yesterday with my son who has new passport .She travelled with old passport and new passport and oci card .She was told that he has lifelong visa on his passport which is valid so no problems .

Indimom
Newly Registered
India

Post by Indimom » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:08 am

Ashish Rastogi wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:42 am
Update
My wife travelled yesterday with my son who has new passport .She travelled with old passport and new passport and oci card .She was told that he has lifelong visa on his passport which is valid so no problems .
That is great. So airlines was also okay with it. Which airlines did they fly and from where? Thanks!

Ashish Rastogi
Newly Registered

Post by Ashish Rastogi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:32 am

Emirates

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Update!

Stansted (U.K) to Mumbia with Emirates.
I posted this earlier but I can't find the post so I'm writing this again.
Please please dont take the chance and just apply for an eVisa as the process is much easier. This is what I did and I'm so glad I did. As there was a family with 1 minor and he was refused boarding.

Regarding the eVisa online application you need to select NO when asked if travelled to India before. I did this even tho my children had been to India with their OCI's.

I will not be renewing their OCI as you dont know what new rule will come along and who will and will not implement it.

Ashish Rastogi
Newly Registered

Post by Ashish Rastogi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm

My wife travelled yesterday with minor from stansted with minor .only thing they asked was for lifelong visa on old passport .
The family may be travelling without old passport which has lifelong visa

txs89378
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by txs89378 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Ashish, thank you for taking the time to update us with your experience. This certainly helps us all.

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:21 pm

People are welcome to a chance and if you are allowed to board then you will be okay.

Problem is that India has made these rules which are uploaded to TIMATIC web which is the data base that all airline staff use for immigration purposes.

So it's all down to your luck whether you have an agent who misses the note on OCI validity or not.

Not sure why people want to take such a big chance instead of spending a fraction of their ticket price on an evisa.

Luv1
Newly Registered
India

Post by Luv1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:38 pm

jsms10 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:08 pm
Luv1 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:25 pm
Did you travel recently? Seems like airlines started denying boarding starting in Nov 2018....
Not recently but 2 yrs ago ... reading all views might apply for evisa which seems simple and no need to send passports etc unlike Oci renewal !
Even filing form and uploading photo / signature etc for Oci is a pain and I gave up in past for same reason rather than the fee / money which is scant !
Process is pathetic .

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Ashish Rastogi wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:18 pm
My wife travelled yesterday with minor from stansted with minor .only thing they asked was for lifelong visa on old passport .
The family may be travelling without old passport which has lifelong visa
This is very strange as we were next to the mother and her son (not a minor) who boarded and she also confirmed. That her younger child (a minor) was refusing boarding due to not having the oci renewed. They did have the old passport which had the U sticker.
The father and son had to return to book another flight once they had the eVisa.

I can't believe Emirates are picking and choosing who to allow and who not to. Surly it should be 1 rule that applies to all. Anyway if you're brave enough to try that by all means go ahead. I wasn't.........so I spent £42 for my 2 children and applied for the eVisa online. Took 10mins to do and best of all a granted visa was given within 72 hours.

jojo001

Post by jojo001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:44 pm

It depends on the agent..most airlines outsource check in staff and it depends on how minutely the agent looks at the TIMATIC database.

Many may slip through at busy times.

You did the sensible thing by getting the evisa and avoiding any unnecessary stress..

Luv1
Newly Registered
India

Post by Luv1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:52 pm

https://boi.gov.in/content/overseas-cit ... cardholder

Clearly says U visa not required if you have valid Oci card with foreign passport ( except pak & bgld).
Why this is not followed and confusion ??