ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application earlier than 12 months after Indefinite Leave granted

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pazol Azel
Newly Registered
Slovenia

Citizenship application earlier than 12 months after Indefinite Leave granted

Post by Pazol Azel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm

I am a EU citizen and I received indefinite leave to stay in April 2019.
I have recently completed my UK citizenship application by naturalisation (and paid the fee) and somehow I ignored (selective blindness??) the clause about being able to apply only 12 months after being granted indefinite leave.

Is my money lost ?

I went through the transcript of my citizenship application and I can see that in the section about my indefinite leave I did have to enter the date when this was granted to me (April 2019)... so I wonder why I was even allowed to complete the whole application (including language and LITU tests, referees etc...); I figure the online system should be clever enough to figure out that April to November of the same year is not 12 months...?

Again, did I just flush 1.4 grand down the sink ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship application earlier than 12 months after Indefinite Leave granted

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:56 pm

The online form is just that, a form. It is not interactive to check you meet the eligibility requirements!!! Note also that anyone married to a British citizen does not have to wait 12 months, so the "form" would not distinguish your suitability in any way, as it is only a form.

If you don't meet the requirements, yes it could be refused and you lose your fee.

It is and always has been, the applicants responsibility to make sure they meet all the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship application earlier than 12 months after Indefinite Leave granted

Post by tier21419 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:17 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:56 pm
The online form is just that, a form. It is not interactive to check you meet the eligibility requirements!!! Note also that anyone married to a British citizen does not have to wait 12 months, so the "form" would not distinguish your suitability in any way, as it is only a form.

If you don't meet the requirements, yes it could be refused and you lose your fee.

It is and always has been, the applicants responsibility to make sure they meet all the requirements.
Won't it be possible if the OP withdraws his/her application and get his/her money back?

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Pazol Azel wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Again, did I just flush 1.4 grand down the sink ?
It will be flushed if you don’t withdraw immediately and a decision is taken.
Have you enrolled biometrics?

Write to..
Nationality UKVI
P.O Box 306,
Liverpool
L2 0QN

Subject: Refund
Just state that you are unable to continue with the application as it’s come to ur attention that you are ineligible for naturalisation at this given time and hence would appreciate a complete refund so ur able to apply at a later date.

Pazol Azel
Newly Registered
Slovenia

Post by Pazol Azel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:22 pm

I completed and submitted my application online last 16th November. Neither I or my referees have received any communication regarding my application.

I will have the biometrics appointment in one month (early Jan 2020).

I will do as you suggest and write a letter to that address explaining the situation as you say.

Do you actually think I could have a refund ?

Thanks so much mate

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Pazol Azel wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:22 pm
Ur application is not under consideration till you enrol biometrics and sopra forwards ur docs to HO.
So, your referees will obviously not receive any communication. You on the other should have received an acknowledgment email from UKVI stating ur case ID
So yes.. you can write as well send an email.
State ur case ID. Name, address, dob, nationality.
And, yes, a number of people have been in ur situation or worse and have successfully obtained a refund.

Pazol Azel
Newly Registered
Slovenia

Post by Pazol Azel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 pm

aman90 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 pm
Pazol Azel wrote:
And, yes, a number of people have been in ur situation or worse and have successfully obtained a refund.
That gives me some hope, thank you.

Today I sent a 1st class letter as you suggested. I can't find any email address though. The acknowledgment email is unfortunately a "noreply" one and only contains a link to report changes to my circumstances, not to cancel the whole application.

Fingers crossed.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Pazol Azel wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 pm
aman90 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 pm
Pazol Azel wrote:
That gives me some hope, thank you.

Today I sent a 1st class letter as you suggested. I can't find any email address though. The acknowledgment email is unfortunately a "noreply" one and only contains a link to report changes to my circumstances, not to cancel the whole application.

Fingers crossed.
furthernationalityenqueries@homeoffice.gov.uk
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Pazol Azel wrote:
The acknowledgment email contains ur Case ID only which I hope you quoted on the letter..
There are quite a few emails. DJsuccess has suggested one. I personally used
Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk.
Got an answer within 3 days.

Pazol Azel
Newly Registered
Slovenia

Post by Pazol Azel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 pm

aman90 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 pm
Pazol Azel wrote:
The acknowledgment email contains ur Case ID only which I hope you quoted on the letter..
There are quite a few emails. DJsuccess has suggested one. I personally used
Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk.
Got an answer within 3 days.
Thank you guys; I emailed both of those.