ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometrics appointment: passport with home office

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: A few questions about registering as a Brittish citizin

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:51 pm

I will give you an example of why you are overthinking.

My ex husband is born abroad to a British born father.

When we decided to live to the UK in 2008, he simply applied for his passport and we came to the UK once I got my visa.

He applied for a national insurance number and started working straight away. He had NO issues at all and certainly not any you seem to be tying yourself in knits over.

The only restriction he had was being able to claim any sort of benefits initially due to not having paid into the system. The same would apply to you. You would be expected to work, you wouldn't be able to arrive and immediately apply for benefits. There is a 3 months habitual residence test and then for benefits under universal credit, if a person qualifies, has to work a certain amount of hours per week.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Once my Brittish passport runs out, do I need to apply for citizinship again as my visa will be on my passport? If so can that be refused?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm

The Life of Dee wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 pm
Once my Brittish passport runs out, do I need to apply for citizinship again as my visa will be on my passport? If so can that be refused?
What visa are you talking about?? You don't get a visa in your British passport to live in the uk.

Once approved for your ukf application, you attend a citizenship ceremony and it is at this point that you officially become British and receiver your certificate of registration as British (this is your proof of citizenship). Only then do you apply for a British passport, which is a separate process and application and cost. That's it, nothing else, no visa or anything to live in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Sorry for the confusion, is the certificate of registration and the certificate of entitlement the same thing? This is what I read re the certificate of entitlement:
It goes in your passport. You need to apply for a new certificate when your passport expires. ... You cannot get a certificate if you already have a British passport or a valid certificate of entitlement in another foreign passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 am

Your certificate of registrations ISA what you get at the ceremony once you are British.

A certificate of entitlement is a right to abide in the UK sticker placed in a foreign passport if you do NOT apply for a British passport. You cannot hold a British passport ABD a certificate of entitlement at the same time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:24 am

So the registration certificate is seperate to the passport and I keep both. I do not have to renew the certificate.

I wonder if I’ll e able to keep dual Brittish/Australian citizinship after Brexit.

So me moving at the end our lease in August 2021 won’t be an issue and I’m guessing if I’m not domicile in the UK till then I’ll be able to live there indeffinately when we move.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:33 am

So the registration certificate is seperate to the passport and I keep both. I do not have to renew the certificate.
Correct. The certificate is your proof of British citizenship and you must keep it safe as it's expensive to get a replacement. A passport is simply a travel document.
I wonder if I’ll e able to keep dual Brittish/Australian citizinship after Brexit.
Not sure what your fixation about Brexit is. It does NOT affect British citizens in the UK and Brexit certainly has absolutely NO effect on Australians as they are not from the European Union!! Brexit ONLY affects EU (non British) citizens. Both Australia and the UK allow dual citizenship.
So me moving at the end our lease in August 2021 won’t be an issue and I’m guessing if I’m not domicile in the UK till then I’ll be able to live there indeffinately when we move.
Yes!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks. My concern re brexit is that immigration is going to be changed due to it and I was worried it’d effect me in any way. I’ll still be able to get my Australian bennifits in the UK and I have family in Australia as well as in the UK so just making sure that I can keep my dual citizinship without any issues.

I wonder if they’ll keep or change UKF after brexit cause there’s talk that you need to have a job to get most visas after brexit and I intend to work but as I’m disabled, I’m worried I won’t get a job.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:06 am

I wonder if they’ll keep or change UKF after brexit cause there’s talk that you need to have a job to get most visas after brexit and I intend to work but as I’m disabled, I’m worried I won’t get a job.
No, UKF is NOT affected by Brexit. It is an application under UK nationality laws and has nothing do with the EU or brexit and is not an immigration (visa) application. You really are confusing yourself by reading stuff that is completely irrelevant to a British citizen living it wanting to live in the UK. Only EU citizens NON BRITISH are affected by Brexit and would likely need a visa to work in the UK!!! It does NOT apply to British citizens.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 am

I read” Where a FBC issued in England and Wales shows that the father has jointly registered the child’s birth with the mother and the registration took place before 1 December 2003, the father will not automatically have parental responsibility unless he has acquired it by a parental responsibility agreement or order or has subsequently married the mother.”

I was born in 1989 and in Australia, from what I understand, wether the parents are married or not they both have parental responsability. My parents (for most of my childhood) had shared custody (mostly 50 50) so I wonder if I need to have sent a document stating this.

I am guessing he’s still my legal father as he was named on my birth certificate even though it was before 2003.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 am

The Life of Dee wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 am
I read” Where a FBC issued in England and Wales shows that the father has jointly registered the child’s birth with the mother and the registration took place before 1 December 2003, the father will not automatically have parental responsibility unless he has acquired it by a parental responsibility agreement or order or has subsequently married the mother.”

I was born in 1989 and in Australia, from what I understand, wether the parents are married or not they both have parental responsability. My parents (for most of my childhood) had shared custody (mostly 50 50) so I wonder if I need to have sent a document stating this.

I am guessing he’s still my legal father as he was named on my birth certificate even though it was before 2003.
No!!! You are overthinking this ENTIRE process!!!

I have no idea where or what official links you are getting this information from, but the majority of what you are posting and reading does NOT apply to you!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:05 am

It was on the UK gov website under parental responsability and birth certificates. The reason I mentioned it is cause people can apply for UKF if they were born on or after 1983 and I was born in 1989. In Australia he’s my legal parent and had parental responsability as he was listed on my birth certificate even though my parents weren’t married. However the website said if your fathers on your birth certificate and you were born before 2003 he doesn’t automatically have parental responsability.

He and my mother had a huge custody fight which lasted years and they got shared custody till I lived with my father at the age of 14.
I was just confused as to wether he is seen as my legal parent.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:08 am

Without seeing the link that you are reading from, I am unable to comment. If you are quoting from an HO website, it is usually beneficial to post the link if you expect any comment on what you are reading because you seem to be reading a whole lot of stuff that DOES NOT apply to you.

Note that you are an ADULT applying for UKF. There is NO requirement to prove your parents had joint responsibility for you. You simply need your birth cert with his name on, his evidence of being British (passport etc) to qualify.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 am

So as he is named on my birth certificate is he my legal father as the sites I’ve read for the UK said that if he was listed on it before 2003 he doesn’t have parental responsability.

I don’t have my fathers passport and I asked about that. The nationality isometrics team got in contact with the UKF team and they informed me that only his birth certificate, my Ruth certificate and passport are required as he was born before 1983.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:29 am

I cannot be any clearer on what I have advised and I cannot comment any further as I have no idea what official resources you are reading that are confusing you to such an extent as you are not posting any of these links you are looking at. You seem to be confusing a whole number of different routes to citizenship instead of focusing only on UKF requirements, which DO NOT have a parental responsibility aspect.

I will leave others to try figure out the rest of your queries.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:35 am

This is one of the links that state this:
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/ ... bility.pdf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:39 am

The Life of Dee wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:35 am
This is one of the links that state this:
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/ ... bility.pdf
This has NOTHING to do with form UKF registration at all!! This seems specific to a local Council Registry office, which is NOT the Home Office.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 pm

The Life of Dee wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 pm
So I can move in several years and I won’t be questioned as I haven’t lived in the uk?
From what it sounds like brexit won’t effect me.
Correct
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:52 pm

The information on the website I linked is on the UK gov page in general:
https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/ ... bility.pdf Link

I read that applicants and fathers do not have to provide DNA and home office can’t request it. However from 2015 onwards they seem to be requesting DNA as proof of paternity. Will UKF applicants who have a birth certificate that was issued before 2015 ever have to submit DNA? Why is it that people after 2015 have to submit it but we don’t?

Weblink removed

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm

The Brighton and Hove website is for a local council in East Sussex. It is not a home office link.

You do NOT require a DNA test.

The request for DNA applies to an application that is NOT relevant to you!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:44 pm

The article re DNA tests mentioned unmarried fathers though.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:50 pm

The Life of Dee wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:44 pm
The article re DNA tests mentioned unmarried fathers though.
It is only relevant to children born after a certain date in mid 2000s to unmarried parents. It does not apply to you!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:56 pm

So HO won’t ever ask me or my father for DNA?

The Life of Dee
Australia

Post by The Life of Dee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:08 pm

How come people born before the date only need to provide a BC but people born after the date have to provide a BC and DNA?
I’d have thought it’d be easier if everyone followed the same requirements.

The Life of Dee
Australia

Biometrics appointment: passport with home office

Post by The Life of Dee » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:59 pm

My passport is at the home office along with my UKF application and other supporting documents. I have a biometrics appointment in a couple of days and I read you need to provide your passport for the appointment. I don’t have a coppy of it. Is the passport just used for ID for UKF applications? I have other forms of ID that I can submit such as a proof of age card. The checklist said I needed to send my original passport and now I’m worried as I didn’t think I’d need it or a coppy.