ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received approval letter but unsure about ceremony timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mpitillo
Brazil

Received approval letter but unsure about ceremony timeline

Post by mpitillo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello,

I have finally received my Citizenship Invitation (Approval Letter) from the Home Office, confirming that my application has been successful. I am really excited and thankful for all the guidance I got here in this forum. Thank you so much!

In this letter, it states that I have to contact my Local Authority within 21 days from the date of this letter. Looking at Brighton's website, the next available ceremony dates are 13th January, 10 February and 9th March. Would this be a problem, given that the next available date is over the 21 days? Or this 21 days requirement is just to CONTACT the local authority? If that's the case, from the moment I have contacted them, what is the longest that I can wait to book the ceremony, without losing my rights?

The reason I am asking this, is because I have an international trip on February 4th. If I attend the 13th January ceremony, it is most likely that I will not have my British Passport in time for my trip, and by then I will have to have destroyed my BRP ILR. So I was considering contacting the Local Authority (using their website tonight), and booking the ceremony only for the 10th of February. Would that be a problem?

Thank you!

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Re: Received approval letter but unsure about ceremony timeline

Post by xavieryves » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:13 pm

The 21 days are only to contact the council and book a date for the ceremony. You have up to 3 months to attend your ceremony from the date on your approval letter. There won't be a problem with your plan of travelling first and then attending the ceremony after, just make sure you have booked your ceremony already so you don't further delay.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 pm

The reason I am asking this, is because I have an international trip on February 4th. If I attend the 13th January ceremony, it is most likely that I will not have my British Passport in time for my trip, and by then I will have to have destroyed my BRP ILR. So I was considering contacting the Local Authority (using their website tonight), and booking the ceremony only for the 10th of February. Would that be a problem?

Thank you!
Congrats!

1. You can request a private ceremony by paying an extra fee.

2. The passport timeline is 12 to 14 days.

One of rules of this forum is to keep all ur questions in ur existing instead of starting new ones. It consolidates ur case for others to see and compare.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks for the answers, xavieryves and aman90.

I will go ahead with the 10 February 2020 date then, as I am not in a super rush anyway. :D

Once booked the ceremony with the Local Authority, does the invitation letter always comes via mail, or does some places send it via e-mail instead? I just want to make sure to keep my eyes on the e-mail, if that's the case.

Thank you!

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:19 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:45 pm
Thanks for the answers, xavieryves and aman90.

I will go ahead with the 10 February 2020 date then, as I am not in a super rush anyway. :D

Once booked the ceremony with the Local Authority, does the invitation letter always comes via mail, or does some places send it via e-mail instead? I just want to make sure to keep my eyes on the e-mail, if that's the case.

Thank you!
If you book your ceremony over the phone with the council, you might not get a letter. Again this will vary from councils to councils. Just make sure you take note of the date you booked over the phone in case no letter is sent. And if in doubt, you can always call the council back to confirm your ceremony date.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.