ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

A Canadian
Canada

Re: Surinder Singh Settled Status Paper Application:

Post by A Canadian » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm

LiyanaLiyana wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 pm
Hi! What questions are asked on the paper form? Does it ask for travel history or immigration history? Please help me! Thank you!
LiyanaLiyana Not at all! Name, address, date of birth. Apparently they put these on the forms so you can't use it for someone else. They were very nice on the phone actually, but I didn't get the forms yet and it has been a while... will call again on Monday!

A Canadian
Canada

Post by A Canadian » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:32 pm

lifeandfate wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:02 pm
It took three days for our paper form to come.
lifeandfate was it a 'normal' EEA settlement form or does it actually say Surinder Singh on it?

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:48 am

I have been on Surinder Singe route with my filipino unmarried partner and we took a gamble to return to UK Dec 10.
Was held back at Gatwick but finally allowed through. She has previous black mark so expected it.
So next stage is to apply for pre settled status. So I phoned to ask for the paper application form. The guy on the phone said it was not possible as we were unmarried. He seemed to be trying to fob us off with bad information to put us off applying.
I said hang on the result of the Banger case clears up that SS is also available to unmarried partners and other family members, also it has some info on their own website that unmarried was allowed. Please can we have the form and if refused we would appeal.
He went off to talk to a manager and returned to say yes that would be ok and he would send the form.
I'm writing this to say don't assume the person on the phone knows all the rules, read up on the subject and don't get fobbed off.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:53 am

The difficulties is, you would be required to apply for a Residence card first, otherwise the Settled status route application will be refused according to the rules.

Banger case does exist, but it does not provide for an automic right of entry.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that Obie.
We have got long term res cards from Bulgaria.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:06 pm

The one in Bulgaria is not relevant to the UK. It will only be relevant under regulation 9, in determining whether your wife resided lawfully in an EEA state with you, before returning to the UK.

You need to apply under EEA(EFM), and then apply for pre settled status once approved.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Life And Fate
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Life And Fate » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:23 pm

A Canadian wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:32 pm
lifeandfate wrote:
lifeandfate was it a 'normal' EEA settlement form or does it actually say Surinder Singh on it?
It is "normal" but the form has allowances and annexes for Surinder Singh on it.

BritAmerican
Newly Registered

Post by BritAmerican » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:55 am

To those who have already submitted a palate application for settled/pre-settled stautus, did you get your biometric residence card sent back to you with your passports?

I’ve seen that some people have had their paper residence permits withheld. But what about those who already had a UK biometric residence card?

At the moment I’m putting off applying because we don’t want my husband to be without his residency card and unable to re-enter the UK or prove his right to be here and work here for months.

Thank you

BritAmerican
Newly Registered

Post by BritAmerican » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 am

That should have said paper not palate application!

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:28 pm

@BritAmerican you will get it back.

BritAmerican
Newly Registered

Post by BritAmerican » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:54 pm

@NatCam oh that’s great, thanks. At what point did you get it back?

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 am

The decision letter, passport, all paperwork and the card - all came together. It took around 5 weeks or so.

BritAmerican
Newly Registered

Post by BritAmerican » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 pm

@Natcam 5 weeks- that would be brilliant! Was this recently?

I’ve just realized that holders of settled and pre-settled status get no physical proof of their status, so no residence card!!!

I see you only get a residence card as a non-EU person (e.g. Surinder Singh) if you don’t already have a biometric residence card. But my husband’s biometric residence card will apparently not be valid after December 2020 due to Brexit. So what do we do then to get a card?

As a non-EU citizen he needs proof that he has the right to work and to be able to re-enter the country. What are we Surinder Singhers supposed to do?

I’m so fed up with this whole process. First we had to apply for the family permit. Then apply again to get the residence card. Now again to get pre-settled status. All to end up with no residence card!!

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:05 am

@BritAmerican you can apply online following this link: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1552478772.
Costs 56£, plus biometrics (~20£), plus appointment at Sopra Steria (60£ at least).
I applied in July I think (pre-settled status).

Airfan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Airfan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Khansaid wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:03 pm
Airfan wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:09 am
Hi Khan Said,

Yes that's correct, once you are in the UK you need to call the Home Office and ask for a Surinder Singh Paper application form. You won't be able to apply from within Ireland, you will need to move to the UK, and then gather evidence of you living in the UK, a plane boarding pass will be enough proof for your date of entry, and other than that, rental agreements, bank statements, bills etc will be needed for proof of residency. You would be applying for Pre-Settled status which would give you a 5 year biometric residence card.
You will also need proof of the British Citizen, exercising treaty rights in Ireland; your residency proofs such as rental agreements, bank statements, bills etc, and proof of employment there in the period of residency, and also proof of integration in Ireland.

Hope this helps you,

Irfan

Khansaid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:46 am
Airfan wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm
Hi all,

So I'm a non-EU family member (spouse) of a British citizen, we have lived together in Ireland from 2015 to 2017. I do not previously have an EEA Family permit, just the Article 10 Residence Card issued by Republic of Ireland. and I have now applied for Pre-Settled under the EU Surinder Singh route. My timeline is as follows:

Application form completed and returned: 19th August (Special Delivery)
Application form received by Home Office: 20th August
Biometrics letter received: 29th (Letter dated 27th August) including return of passports - other documents not yet returned.
Biometrics given: 29th August
Certificate of Application: 2nd September (Letter dated 31st August)
Pre-Settled Status: (Pending)

Have called every week for an update, but the call centre seem to have standard answers, with no real timeframe for a decision. Looks like they are being quite slow. How are everybody's applications' going ?
Hi A irfan

Thanks for posting your inquiry. I planning to apply for my family through Surinder singh route as well from here in Ireland. I have been looking at these posts on Immigrationboard and what I have got is that:
There is no online application and I have to call UKHO and ask for an application which they would post it to the home address after checking the eligibility of the applicant.
I shall be grateful if you could share process please. And also whether these applications are for 6 monthe or for 5 years RC once approved?

Regards
Hi Airfan

Thanks very much for the replay. I thought you applied for Ireland, my mistake as u lived in Ireland from 2015- 2017. Ok so applied from within UK, did you get a visa to get to uk or the 5 years Irish RC was enough to move to UK and live there since 2017?
Just for information though, EU citizens can make complaints to SOLVIT online stating the difficulties an EU citizen and their families facing. SOLVIT have a direct contact with each EU country's HO.

Regards
Yes the Irish RC was enough to move to the UK and live here since 2017, provided spouse stayed in employment within 3 months of returning to the UK, which she did. The EEA family permit should generally have been applied for though to prove right of work etc, but it is not a requirement.

Airfan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Airfan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Airfan wrote:
Hi all,

So I'm a non-EU family member (spouse) of a British citizen, we have lived together in Ireland from 2015 to 2017. I do not previously have an EEA Family permit, just the Article 10 Residence Card issued by Republic of Ireland. and I have now applied for Pre-Settled under the EU Surinder Singh route. My timeline is as follows:

Biometrics letter received: 29th (Letter dated 27th August) including return of passports - other documents not yet returned.

Have called every week for an update, but the call centre seem to have standard answers, with no real timeframe for a decision. Looks like they are being quite slow. How are everybody's applications' going ?
Update!

Have now received my Pre-Settled Status so timeline is as follows:

Pre-Settled Status: 20th December (Letter dated 17th December)

So from Biometrics being submitted to decision being issued, timeframe was 16 weeks! Didn't receive any phone calls or email throughout.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

A Canadian
Canada

Post by A Canadian » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks for this Airfan, much appreciated. About to send the paper application & passports next week after Christmas. 16 weeks would be good... seems like they have a new/shorter Surinder Singh application form now, "only" 62 pages, the previous was I saw was about 100... good news?

lifeandfate
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by lifeandfate » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 pm

A Canadian wrote:
lifeandfate wrote:
There is no specific Surinder Singh paper application as far as I know, one must indicate that on the form.

lifeandfate
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by lifeandfate » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Airfan wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:51 pm
Airfan wrote:
Hi all,

Update!

Have now received my Pre-Settled Status so timeline is as follows:

Pre-Settled Status: 20th December (Letter dated 17th December)

So from Biometrics being submitted to decision being issued, timeframe was 16 weeks! Didn't receive any phone calls or email throughout.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congratulations.

A Canadian
Canada

Post by A Canadian » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 pm

lifeandfate wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 pm
A Canadian wrote:
lifeandfate wrote:
There is no specific Surinder Singh paper application as far as I know, one must indicate that on the form.
I finally got it by post before Christmas after a 3 week wait (and sent it out today!) and in fact it is a shorter, Surinder Singh form, "only" 62 pages with some questions that are very specific to SS (such as when did you live with your family member in the EU country etc) - actually a very friendly form so was worth the wait... now some more waiting for news (and hopefully passports back asap...)

birkeneve
Canada

Post by birkeneve » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am

My timeline:

Application form completed and returned: September 27, 2019 (sent by registered mail)
Application form received by Home Office: September 30, 2019
Biometrics letter received: October 8, 2019 and given the same day. Passport returned but not my residence card from Norway.
Certificate of Application: October 27, 2019
Pre-Settled Status: January 3, 2020. Received a phone call to confirm my address and the caseworker said I would get an answer later in the afternoon. Could finally check the status by passport number. Received pre-settled and waiting for my other documents to be returned.

A Canadian
Canada

Post by A Canadian » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 pm

birkeneve wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am
My timeline:

Application form completed and returned: September 27, 2019 (sent by registered mail)
Biometrics letter received: October 8, 2019 and given the same day. Passport returned but not my residence card from Norway.
Pre-Settled Status: January 3, 2020. Received a phone call to confirm my address and the caseworker said I would get an answer later in the afternoon. Could finally check the status by passport number. Received pre-settled and waiting for my other documents to be returned.
Thanks for this helpful update, Birkeneve. May I ask how long you lived in Norway with your spouse and how long did you live in the UK before applying via the SS route?

birkeneve
Canada

Post by birkeneve » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Well I lived in Norway since 2005 and my husband moved there in 2012. We met in 2013 and I’ll spare everyone the details. We married in 2018 and decided to move to the UK after a family tragedy. I applied for the EEA family permit in June/July 2019 due to Brexit worries. Granted the EEA permit in August. Due to another family tragedy, we came to the UK in September instead of our planned June 2020 departure and I applied within a week of arriving for the pre-settled Surinder Singh route.
A Canadian wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 pm
birkeneve wrote:
My timeline:

Thanks for this helpful update, Birkeneve. May I ask how long you lived in Norway with your spouse and how long did you live in the UK before applying via the Surinder Singh route route?

seekingadvice87

Post by seekingadvice87 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 am

Hi
seems surinder singh application is picking up. friend applied paper application as follows

applied september 2019
biometrics september 2019
coa october 2019
uk brc 5 years granted jan 2020

seekingadvice87

Post by seekingadvice87 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 am

birkeneve wrote:
My timeline:

Friend has very similar timelines with you. They applied surinder singh September and got full Uk residence card 3 jan 2020. But not presettled status so question is how to apply presettled status because just applied only for surinder singh for Uk brc? Thanks