ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

India visit only 3 months remaining on Indian Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anasjamil2

India visit only 3 months remaining on Indian Passport

Post by anasjamil2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi,

My wife has ILR and Indian passport. We have planned India visit for 3 weeks holiday. When we leave UK she will have only 3months left on her Indian passport. Can this be a problem?

I will be applying for her UK citizenship just before going to India and once I come back her citizenship will be sorted soon so then I will surrender her Indian passport. Which is why I don’t want to renew her Indian passport.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: India visit only 3 months remaining on Indian Passport

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Can this be a problem?
No, not for entering the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anasjamil2

Post by anasjamil2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi Char, sorry I didn’t get you. Do you mean she will not face any problem? Is it both for entering India and then coming back to UK?

On travelling date, Her Indian PP will expire in 3 months and her ILR will still have 3-4 years.

I did hear somewhere that you need to have 6 months PP validity for travelling.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:44 am

I cannot comment in the Indian authorities requirements.

There is no requirement in the UK that your passport must be valid for a certain time before you can re enter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:51 pm

My cousin is a German Citizen (German Passport) but lives in UK. He was flying to Pakistan with his family via Doha on Qatar Airlines. He did not notice that his passport validity is less than 6 months. He was stopped at Heathrow and denied to board by the Qatar staff. They were of the view that even if they let him board/fly from Heathrow, he will be deported from Doha.

However, after 1.5hrs of heated negotiations/contacting the manager/senior staff and actually contacting Doha ground staff (they were lucky to got hold of Qatar ground staff as they said usually it takes time) and getting clearance, he was let to board the flight. But it was all very time consuming and stressful as he almost missed his flight.

He was in Pakistan just for 3 weeks so the passport validity covered that period at least. He was back in UK without any issues.

Having said that, as CR001 also stated, different state authorities work differently. First, you should check with the airline and Indian authorities. Also, if you have a transit make sure you will not have any problems there.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:40 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:51 pm
My cousin is a German Citizen (German Passport) but lives in UK. He was flying to Pakistan with his family via Doha on Qatar Airlines. He did not notice that his passport validity is less than 6 months. He was stopped at Heathrow and denied to board by the Qatar staff. They were of the view that even if they let him board/fly from Heathrow, he will be deported from Doha.

However, after 1.5hrs of heated negotiations/contacting the manager/senior staff and actually contacting Doha ground staff (they were lucky to got hold of Qatar ground staff as they said usually it takes time) and getting clearance, he was let to board the flight. But it was all very time consuming and stressful as he almost missed his flight.

He was in Pakistan just for 3 weeks so the passport validity covered that period at least. He was back in UK without any issues.

Having said that, as CR001 also stated, different state authorities work differently. First, you should check with the airline and Indian authorities. Also, if you have a transit make sure you will not have any problems there.
I think there’s a difference between traveling to a third country and traveling to the country of your passport. In general the citizen shall be admitted to the country even without documents (after thorough checks and most likely with some paper from diplomatic mission to facilitate travel). I don’t know about Indian rules but I’m sure my passport is valid for return into my home country till validity date. 6 months/3 months rules are for foreign countries accepting me as a visitor.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:56 am

The personal experience sharing was just to highlight the fact that the passport validity could cause an issue. Its best to check with the relevant authorities and airline. Getting into India might not be a problem but then India might have different rules flying out regarding passport validity.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Passport validity requirement is only for those who have none-Indian passport and applying Indian visa which in that case their passport must be valid for 180 days. But on arriving there it could be even lesser than that. But for Indian nationals holding Indian passport when entering or leaving then there is no such rule but indeed their passport should at least be valid on arrival and departure.
Passport validity
Your passport must be machine readable, with 2 blank pages for your visa and valid for a minimum of 180 days at the time of your visa application. However, the guidelines regarding passport validity on arrival in India are unclear. To avoid possible problems at immigration, make sure your passport is valid for a minimum of 180 days at the time of entry into India.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

anasjamil2

Post by anasjamil2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 pm

In my scenario. My wife has Indian passport (not foreign). So I don’t think it should cause a problem because she is retuning to her home country, even if one day is left on her passport she should be ok. Is that correct experts?

Are are going to take direct flight from UK to India.

Will India not allow her to fly back when she only has 2-3 months left?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:28 pm

anasjamil2 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 pm
In my scenario. My wife has Indian passport (not foreign). So I don’t think it should cause a problem because she is retuning to her home country, even if one day is left on her passport she should be ok. Is that correct experts?

Are are going to take direct flight from UK to India.

Will India not allow her to fly back when she only has 2-3 months left?
Shouldn't be an issue but as a precaution ask the airline and get it in writing (email).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.