ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Son born in US this year, now returning to UK to live

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ctsharvey
Newly Registered

Son born in US this year, now returning to UK to live

Post by ctsharvey » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:39 pm

We moved to the US in August for my work (on L1 visas) and in October my wife gave birth to our son. I am British (by birth) and my wife is Latvian. Our son now has a US passport & he is British by descent through me.

What I need to understand is when we return to live in the UK in the new year on his US passport, what issues might this present? Is there anything we need to do to ensure we don't have such issues with UK authorities? We don't want him to be on a tourist visa and need to exit the country etc.....

We are trying to apply for his UK passport but the paperwork we are being asked for is extensive and given logistical complexities, I am not confident this will be bottomed out before we are due to return.

Appreciate any assistance here. Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Son born in US this year, now returning to UK to live

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 am

ctsharvey wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:39 pm
We are trying to apply for his UK passport but the paperwork we are being asked for is extensive and given logistical complexities
Do elaborate on this. What paperwork requirements are so onerous?

If you are British by birth, you will need
a) Your British birth certificate
b) If born after 1983, the birth and marriage certificates of your parents (or proof of their ILR or Right if Abode at the time of your birth)
c) your son's birth certificate
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.