ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

casula
Australia

First Passport Application

Post by casula » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi there,
A couple of questions for the passport application.
1. After applying online for the whole family (2 adults & 2 children), can we send all the documents that belong to all applicants in the same envelope?
2. Do we need to send any other document other than citizenship certificate and passports that used to enter the country?
3. How do we specify the referees? Do we need their signature on the paper form just like the citizenship application?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: First Passport Application

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:54 pm

casula wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:28 pm
Hi there,
A couple of questions for the passport application.
1. After applying online for the whole family (2 adults & 2 children), can we send all the documents that belong to all applicants in the same envelope?
The system will tell you where to send documents - HMPO have a number of processing centres - not familiar with family applications, perhaps possibly it could be to different addresses....
2. Do we need to send any other document other than citizenship certificate and passports that used to enter the country?
That's normally the only requirement if applicant is naturalised - the system will confirm this.
3. How do we specify the referees? Do we need their signature on the paper form just like the citizenship application?
The system will ask for the email address and British passport number of the referee and referee will then be contacted via email asking for the relevant details. It may be advisable to let the referee know to watch out for an email from HMPO.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

casula
Australia

Post by casula » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:36 am

Thanks @alterhase58
Can we send (mail) all the documents (citizenship certificates & passports) that belong to all the applicants in the same envelope?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:50 am

casula wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:36 am
Thanks @alterhase58
Can we send (mail) all the documents (citizenship certificates & passports) that belong to all the applicants in the same envelope?
If you get one address for all applicants that should be ok.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

casula
Australia

Post by casula » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks. One last question.
My kids' foreign passports renewed 3 years ago. For their first British passport applications, do we need to send the previous passports as well to HMPO along with the current ones?

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Post by apatiluk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:46 pm

casula wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 pm
My kids' foreign passports renewed 3 years ago. For their first British passport applications, do we need to send the previous passports as well to HMPO along with the current ones?
Only the valid passports. Once you complete the online passport application, you will be advised
1. list of documents to send in original ?
2. address to send ? ( as indicated above by @alterhase58)

trueblue19

Post by trueblue19 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:49 pm

apatiluk wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:46 pm
casula wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Only the valid passports. Once you complete the online passport application, you will be advised
1. list of documents to send in original ?
2. address to send ? ( as indicated above by @alterhase58)
Highlighted statement is factually incorrect. Please note that you will also need to send the passport that was used to enter the UK (for the route on which the naturalisation application was made). In some cases, this passport maybe cancelled/expired by now. Therefore, its all valid passport(s) + the passport on which you entered UK (if its different from the valid passport(s)). This applies to each family member, where applicable.

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Post by apatiluk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 am

Highlighted statement is factually incorrect.
Apologies if my information was misleading and thank you for correcting it.
[ Sorry, i am not hijacking this forum discussion, just to have clarity ]

Request to clarify:
1. Entry into UK with stamp based visa on passport and later gets BRP card
2. The UK visa stamp is invalidated after you get BRP card
3. The passport expires and gets a renewed passport and uses this for travel (in and out of UK)
4. Naturalised using the details of the renewed passport
5. During UK passport document submission - is it required to send both old and new passport ?

Bit of confusion for me : https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... d-to-apply
the passport you used to come into the UK or the foreign passport you’re included on . It does not explicitly mention "as the first passport you used to come into the UK".

Clarification on this will be helpful. Thanks again.

trueblue19

Post by trueblue19 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 am

apatiluk wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 am
Highlighted statement is factually incorrect.
Apologies if my information was misleading and thank you for correcting it.
[ Sorry, i am not hijacking this forum discussion, just to have clarity ]

Request to clarify:
1. Entry into UK with stamp based visa on passport and later gets BRP card
2. The UK visa stamp is invalidated after you get BRP card
3. The passport expires and gets a renewed passport and uses this for travel (in and out of UK)
4. Naturalised using the details of the renewed passport
5. During UK passport document submission - is it required to send both old and new passport ?

Bit of confusion for me : https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... d-to-apply
the passport you used to come into the UK or the foreign passport you’re included on . It does not explicitly mention "as the first passport you used to come into the UK".

Clarification on this will be helpful. Thanks again.
Yes the guidance can sometimes be confusing, however, when you apply online, portal will show exact list of documents to be sent, which is usually this:

- naturalisation or registration certificate
- the passport used to enter the UK
- any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled

So you will need to send the passport you entered UK on AND the current valid passport (+ any passports which have not been cancelled, which I think wont be the case for you)

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Post by apatiluk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Thank you casula. Much appreciated.

casula
Australia

Post by casula » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi,
I am struggling to find a professional referee.
One of the recognized professions for passport referees is the chairman or director of a limited company.
I have a friend who is a director of a small (one man) IT limited company. Would that be fine? Can he be our referee for the passport application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Yes, provided he is british.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:57 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:50 am
casula wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:36 am
Thanks @alterhase58
If you get one address for all applicants that should be ok.
I applied for my kids passports yesterday - when I was going through the process, there was a link which said that if you apply for passports as a family then you may send documents for all applications in one envelope, even if addresses indicated are different.
You should then simply use any one of the addresses indicated.
It also said that if you do it you should carefully separate each set of documents and mark each set with its own reference number
(reference number in fact is part of the address they give)

I could not find this link now, but when you will be doing application it should appear (I think it appears after you pay)