ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming benefits and Visa extension

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

singhsab
Newly Registered
Mood:

Claiming benefits and Visa extension

Post by singhsab » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 pm

Dear Readers
hope you all are fine

Just got told this place is a blessing for those in need and information provided here is second to none and at no cost whatsoever has led me create an account and ask following question

I am a father of 3 children all under 10 years of age I am British citizen by nationality so are my children, my Mrs is on 10 years spouse visa route and it's coming to her 2nd extension in few months time. she is a house wife and is not in employment

When she applied for her first visa(leave to remain) we were not getting any benefits that we started to get during her application and to the date, benefits include child benefit,housing benefit, child and working tax credits.
as we all know for housing benefits and tax credits application is joint in the name of both partners question now is, is it going to be a problem for her in getting her visa extended because we got told she should not have been getting any benefits until it can come to her ILR?

I would appreciate your responses that I would expect in greater details however if you need further information to assess our situation before an answer please feel free to ask

Thanking you in advance

Casa

Re: Claiming benefits and Visa extension

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:58 pm

You are entitled to claim child benefits in your name only and tax credits in joint names without if affecting your wife's next visa application.

The housing benefit should have been calculated as one adult with 3 children (excluding your wife) taking your earnings into consideration as your wife isn't working.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

singhsab
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by singhsab » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:45 pm

thanking you very much for your reply

Housing benefits as far I know is joint claim same as tax credits, I spoke to an account after your reply and he says there is no such an incident that he knows of where husband claimed on his own?

struggling for a way forward to stop her's if anyone can shine some light on that and who can possible tell if single claim would result in less or same amount that came as a result of joint claim?

looking forward to hear from you

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:39 pm

singhsab wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:45 pm
thanking you very much for your reply

Housing benefits as far I know is joint claim same as tax credits, I spoke to an account after your reply and he says there is no such an incident that he knows of where husband claimed on his own?

struggling for a way forward to stop her's if anyone can shine some light on that and who can possible tell if single claim would result in less or same amount that came as a result of joint claim?

looking forward to hear from you
You are required to give your wife's details in the HB claim and state that she has no recourse to Public funds. The amount awarded will be for yourself and 3 children.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.