ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residency from EUFAM Stamp 4 after 5 years. Is it continuous?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bl0u81c5
Newly Registered

Permanent Residency from EUFAM Stamp 4 after 5 years. Is it continuous?

Post by bl0u81c5 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi - I have recently obtained a Stamp 4 EUFAM permit which is valid for 5 years. I can apply for permanent residency after 5 years. Do i need to be living continuously for 5 years to be able to apply for Permanent Residency or can it have break? If breaks how long can they be in one year?

Pakistan

Re: Permanent Residency from EUFAM Stamp 4 after 5 years. Is it continuous?

Post by 5121472 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:04 am

A maximum of 6 weeks absence is allowed per year.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:27 am

5121472 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:04 am
A maximum of 6 weeks absence is allowed per year.
Where did INIS say 6 weeks? I thought it was for citizenship only.

Per EU law, an EU national must live in the state for more than 6 months every year in order for the residence to be unbroken. The person can also live outside the state for 12 months or longer under certain scenarios (military service, pregnancy, work training, birth/death etc).

It is my understanding that the non-EU national shall be given the same definition. For example, it would not make sense to allow the EU national to leave the country for 6 months to have a baby, while their spouse can only leave for 1.5 months.
If you have lived legally, meeting the conditions to stay in another EU country (In this case, the 28 EU member states + Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), for a continuous period of 5 years you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence there. This means that you can stay in the country as long as you want.

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:

- temporary absences (less than 6 months per year)
- longer absences for compulsory military service
- one absence of 12 consecutive months, for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, work, vocational training or a posting to another country

bl0u81c5
Newly Registered

Post by bl0u81c5 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi - Where did you get this info from? Can you please share the link with me?
Does it mean that I can apply for Citizenship / Naturalization straight away on 5th year provided i was absent for less than 6 months every year for 4 years and had continuous residence in Ireland for 1 year i.e. from Year 4 to Year 5?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r ... EU-country

You can apply for citizenship once you have 5 years’ residency in Ireland. You would still need to apply for EU3 before your current EU1 expires though because you still need a valid residence permit while your citizenship application is in progress.

The 6-week citizenship rule applies to the last of the five year period, but you are required to list all activities abroad if you are absent for more than 6 weeks in any of the 5-year period. You may need to deduct these periods when making your application. The minister of justice has the final say on it (e.g. the minister may allow you to leave for 7 weeks if you have regular work commitment or if there was a serious illness with your relative, but may not allow you to leave the country for 6 months simply because you want to have a break). Whether that has any negative impact to your citizenship application, I don’t know.

bl0u81c5
Newly Registered

Post by bl0u81c5 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:15 pm

Thank you

mmsa
Mood:

Post by mmsa » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Regarding EU3 applications after the 5 years, Apparently if the EU citizen is studying in any part of those 5 years you must have private medical insurance.

I only found this out now, I was studying for the first year out of the five and did not have medical insurance. Anyone know if the EU3 application I am submitting now will be rejected if I do no show evidence of medical insurance?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 pm

mmsa wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 pm
Regarding EU3 applications after the 5 years, Apparently if the EU citizen is studying in any part of those 5 years you must have private medical insurance.

I only found this out now, I was studying for the first year out of the five and did not have medical insurance. Anyone know if the EU3 application I am submitting now will be rejected if I do no show evidence of medical insurance?
Can you continue in your own topic please instead of tagging onto other members threads. It is unfair to other users and creates confusion when members respond to someone who has hijacked another topic.

ireland/private-medical-insurance-and-e ... l#p1862381
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.