ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

should I get married before or after going to canada

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

desidreaman
Newly Registered

should I get married before or after going to canada

Post by desidreaman » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:22 pm

hi
I have been accepted as an independ skills worker in canada, and I recieved my visa already and have to go to canada by July 2004. so I have 2/3 months in my hand. now, they told me to let them know if my civil status is changed, (get married, children..). now , I meet someone (I am in US also) and want to marry her, she is US citizen, I am worried now if I marry now and let them know it might delay my going to canada and getting my Permanent residency or might create some problem, I don't know. so I am confused, should I get married before I go to canada or marry after going to canada(since she is US citizen she can go canada anytime). If anyone know wht I should do.. let me know . thanks

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:31 am

I'd wait 'till you are in Canada, just to make sure you have no delays -- that is, if you actually intend to stay in Canada after getting married.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:24 pm

To add to Cosmopol's comments,

Getting married before landing is a material change under the Immigration & Refugee Protection (IRPA) Act which the visa issuing post must be notified of. You must notify them in writing (letter or fax) of your marriage and wait for further instructions from the visa post. Your current immigrant visa will no longer be valid and must be returned to the visa office. Additional things include:

1. You need to resubmit your family composition forms with your wife's details including a copy of the marriage certificate and photos.

2. You have to pay an additional CAN550 processing fee and CAN 975 ROPR fee.

3. She will have to undergo medical checks.

4. She will have to undergo security checks.

If she fails the medical and/or the security checks then your application will fail. Depending on your wife's nationality and countries of residence since age 18 the security checks may take upto 12 months or more to be completed. US nationals who have always lived in the US except for short visits aborad (less than 6 months) who have no criminal record should get a clearance pretty quickly i.e. within 3 months. However you have to contend with the whole FBI finger prints procedure. A further concern here is that your medicals may have expired by the time she has been approved so you will have to take them at an additional cost.

5. You must also submit an updated evidence of additional funds to take into account a dependent. Note that if your spouse has any kids then they will also have to be included in your application and likewise medically and background/security tested (the latter if over eighteen) unless they are in the sole custody of the father.

6. There are rumours that the points will be revised upwards on or around September 2004 which is roughly the 1 year anniversary of the transitional arrangements after the retroactive fiasco with the previous minister. The expected pass mark is thought to be in the 72-75 range so if you just scraped through you may wish to reconsider the marriage.

You can sponsor your wife after landing as a member of the family class which will not impact on your current immigrant visa or eventual PR status. My advice is land then marry..what's the rush you have plenty of time. Of course the marriage choice is ultimatley yours - as an adult I am sure you will be able to make a decision.

Good Luck
Last edited by Kayalami on Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert52
Newly Registered

Post by robert52 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:33 pm