ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TEEN WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT ONLINE APPLICATION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

clejazv
Newly Registered
India

TEEN WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT ONLINE APPLICATION

Post by clejazv » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Hello,

A bit of background info on myself: I am currently a teenager who came to this country during my early childhood and have lived here ever since. It is important to note that, at one point in my life, my parents overstayed our visas. However, we eventually gained ILR etc. and this all occurred when I was a child and unaware of any of this.

As I have now reached the age of 18, I now hold the responsibility of making my own application for citizenship. After reading through the guidance, I started my application online. My main question relates to the questions regarding residence.

One of the questions state:
If you are the husband, wife, or civil partner of a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the last 3 years. If you are not the husband, wife, or civil partner of a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the last 5 years. This is called your ‘qualifying period’.

You must have been in the UK on the first day of your 3-year or 5-year qualifying period
You must not have spent more than 270 days outside the UK during a 3-year qualifying period, or 450 days during a 5-year qualifying period
You must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days in the last 12 months
You must not have been here illegally in the 3-year or 5-year qualifying period

While I do meet these requirements, I remember reading something in the guidance about how if you were in the country illegally at any point 10 years before the application was made, the application can still be rejected. Though I was not in the country illegally in the 5-year qualifying period, I was during the 10 year period mentioned in the guidance. Hence, my question is that, the question regarding special circumstances (i.e. Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?), should I click 'yes'? If so, what sort of information should I provide for this question and the one following it (i.e.If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?)? If anyone has any templates or anything I could follow, that would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: TEEN WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT ONLINE APPLICATION

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:05 pm

For members to comment on your queries you need to supply more details of your/your family's timeline in the UK, details of visas and status obtained from UKVI. Overstaying comes under the "Good Character" requirement. See caseworker guidance: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf
To be confirmed by members, but my understanding is that you normally have to wait 10 years for naturalisation from the date your status was regularised by the Home Office UKVI.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

clejazv
Newly Registered
India

Post by clejazv » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Double post sorry
Last edited by clejazv on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clejazv
Newly Registered
India

Post by clejazv » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:05 pm
For members to comment on your queries you need to supply more details of your/your family's timeline in the UK, details of visas and status obtained from UKVI. Overstaying comes under the "Good Character" requirement. See caseworker guidance: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf
To be confirmed by members, but my understanding is that you normally have to wait 10 years for naturalisation from the date your status was regularised by the Home Office UKVI.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

We came to the UK in 2002 with entry clearance. During this period my parents overstayed, while I was still a child. In 2011, we received Discretionary Leave to Remain. In 2017, we received Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

All my other siblings are all British citizens as they were born here.

When reading the guidance, it states that you should not have overstayed in the last 10 years to meet the good character requirement. Do you think I could make a case for special circumstances to the Home Secretary in the application, on the basis that my overstaying was not my fault as I was a minor? Or would I have to wait until the 10 years have passed to make an application?

Thank you.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:37 pm

clejazv wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello,

We came to the UK in 2002 with entry clearance. During this period my parents overstayed, while I was still a child. In 2011, we received Discretionary Leave to Remain. In 2017, we received Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

When reading the guidance, it states that you should not have overstayed in the last 10 years to meet the good character requirement. Do you think I could make a case for special circumstances to the Home Secretary in the application, on the basis that my overstaying was not my fault as I was a minor? Or would I have to wait until the 10 years have passed to make an application?

Thank you.
Have your parents applied for citizenship? I believe there was a similar case to yours here sometimes ago (you can search the forum). I am not entirely sure if the caseworker can apply discretion, given that you were a minor during the overstay and it was due to no fault of yours. However, the standard response will be to wait till the overstay is past 10 years before applying.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

clejazv
Newly Registered
India

Post by clejazv » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:49 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:37 pm
clejazv wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.
Have your parents applied for citizenship? I believe there was a similar case to yours here sometimes ago (you can search the forum). I am not entirely sure if the caseworker can apply discretion, given that you were a minor during the overstay and it was due to no fault of yours. However, the standard response will be to wait till the overstay is past 10 years before applying.
Thank you for your response.

My parents are not currently applying for citizenship, as they are waiting to surpass the 10 years. I've decided to apply now as I attend university in the UK and believe it would be more convenient for me to have British citizenship as I will need to travel to Europe as part of my degree.

If it isn't a bother, would you be able to guide me to the case you've mentioned? I am new to this forum and am not so clear as to how find specific cases.

Thank you for your time and help.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:14 am

clejazv wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:49 pm
Djsuccess wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:37 pm
clejazv wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.
Thank you for your response.

My parents are not currently applying for citizenship, as they are waiting to surpass the 10 years. I've decided to apply now as I attend university in the UK and believe it would be more convenient for me to have British citizenship as I will need to travel to Europe as part of my degree.

If it isn't a bother, would you be able to guide me to the case you've mentioned? I am new to this forum and am not so clear as to how find specific cases.

Thank you for your time and help.
Here is a similar case for you to read

british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... d#p1708201
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 am

Do you think I could make a case for special circumstances to the Home Secretary in the application, on the basis that my overstaying was not my fault as I was a minor?
There is no reason for you to be penalised as you were a minor at the time of overstay. In addition to what's been linked above: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf page 27
You must only exercise discretion to disregard a period of unlawful residence if there are reasons for this which were clearly outside the applicant’s control, or if the breach was genuinely inadvertent and short.

Examples of when you might exercise discretion include where:
• the breach occurred at a time when the applicant was a minor whose parents failed to obtain or renew their leave
Also see this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf page 46
When assessing failure to comply with immigration requirements, it will normally be appropriate to disregard failure relating to a child when assessing their good character, if it is accepted this was outside of their control. For example, where a parent applied for the child to come to the UK as their dependant but failed to apply for an extension of leave when the child’s temporary leave expired, the child should not be penalised.
Anecdotally, though slightly different, I breached my visa less than 10 years ago and 2 of my dependants at the time, one being minor at the time are now British Citizens without being affected by my own breach.

If you meet all the other requirements you should go ahead and apply ensuring you reference the 2 documents linked above in your application.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:14 am

I breached my visa less than 10 years ago
Correction - my visa breach was more than 10 years ago but it's still less than 10 years since my visa was regularised after the breach. So even though I have to wait (like your parents), my dependants were not affected and did not need to serve the 10 years.

clejazv
Newly Registered
India

Post by clejazv » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm

xavieryves wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 am
Do you think I could make a case for special circumstances to the Home Secretary in the application, on the basis that my overstaying was not my fault as I was a minor?
There is no reason for you to be penalised as you were a minor at the time of overstay. In addition to what's been linked above: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf page 27
You must only exercise discretion to disregard a period of unlawful residence if there are reasons for this which were clearly outside the applicant’s control, or if the breach was genuinely inadvertent and short.

Examples of when you might exercise discretion include where:
• the breach occurred at a time when the applicant was a minor whose parents failed to obtain or renew their leave
Also see this:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf page 46
When assessing failure to comply with immigration requirements, it will normally be appropriate to disregard failure relating to a child when assessing their good character, if it is accepted this was outside of their control. For example, where a parent applied for the child to come to the UK as their dependant but failed to apply for an extension of leave when the child’s temporary leave expired, the child should not be penalised.
Anecdotally, though slightly different, I breached my visa less than 10 years ago and 2 of my dependants at the time, one being minor at the time are now British Citizens without being affected by my own breach.

If you meet all the other requirements you should go ahead and apply ensuring you reference the 2 documents linked above in your application.
Thank you very much for this! It is much appreciated.