ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP card return

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

akas83
Mood:
Bangladesh

BRP card return

Post by akas83 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Hello,

I returned my BRP card on 31st of December and had my ceremony on 2nd of January. I just checked the Royalmail tracking, it has not been delivered yet. If it reaches them after 8th of January, will i still have to pay the penalty 1k GBP ?? I posted other things with the same service from the same postoffice and they all were delivered today, except this one, strange !! Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BRP card return

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm

I returned my BRP card on 31st of December and had my ceremony on 2nd of January.
You should only have sent it AFTER your ceremony.
I just checked the Royalmail tracking, it has not been delivered yet. If it reaches them after 8th of January, will i still have to pay the penalty 1k GBP ??

Unlikely you will be fined. What address did you post it to?? A PO Box?? you won't get proof of delivery to a PO Box.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

akas83
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by akas83 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm
I returned my BRP card on 31st of December and had my ceremony on 2nd of January.
You should only have sent it AFTER your ceremony.
I just checked the Royalmail tracking, it has not been delivered yet. If it reaches them after 8th of January, will i still have to pay the penalty 1k GBP ??

Unlikely you will be fined. What address did you post it to?? A PO Box?? you won't get proof of delivery to a PO Box.
Thank you for your reply. I was not sure how long it would take, so sent it before the Ceremony.
A PO Box which i found on the gov website.
Ah ok, do you know what i should do in that case please, to find out if it has been delivered or not ? I called Royal mail, they said they can see what i can see on the tracking, not delivered yet.
So to confirm if I post within 5 days of receiving my certificate and they receive after 5 days, I won't get fined ? Thank you
Last edited by akas83 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Nothing you can do. You should have waited till your ceremony and followed the instructions in the documents you received.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

akas83
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by akas83 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:54 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm
Nothing you can do. You should have waited till your ceremony and followed the instructions in the documents you received.
Thank you, I just wanted to make sure they receive before the deadline. I mentioned it in my cover letter which i sent along with the BRP card. Shall I be in any kind of trouble because of that ?

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:25 pm

If you sent to this address:

Naturalisation BRP Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

Then you sent to the correct address. The post office are having/had severe delays maybe due to holidays. Or perhaps because it's a PO Box. I suspect your other posts that were delivered were not to the same address? We sent back a BRP card 1st class recorded on 16 Dec 2019 and it was eventually delivered and signed for on 2 Jan 2020. I called the post office in the interim and they said wait until it's 10 working days before we can investigate what's happened. Luckily it was eventually delivered and signed for before we got to that. Just sit tight and keep checking and keep your receipt as proof of postage before the expiration of stipulated schedule. There is no reasonable reason why you should get in trouble for sending it a little earlier than you should've and definitely not for the post office delays for which you're not responsible.

akas83
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by akas83 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm

xavieryves wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:25 pm
If you sent to this address:

Naturalisation BRP Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

Then you sent to the correct address. The post office are having/had severe delays maybe due to holidays. Or perhaps because it's a PO Box. I suspect your other posts that were delivered were not to the same address? We sent back a BRP card 1st class recorded on 16 Dec 2019 and it was eventually delivered and signed for on 2 Jan 2020. I called the post office in the interim and they said wait until it's 10 working days before we can investigate what's happened. Luckily it was eventually delivered and signed for before we got to that. Just sit tight and keep checking and keep your receipt as proof of postage before the expiration of stipulated schedule. There is no reasonable reason why you should get in trouble for sending it a little earlier than you should've and definitely not for the post office delays for which you're not responsible.
Yes, that's the address.
Not to the same address. Probably because it is a PO Box, you are probably right. Normally it does not take this long. I sent it with 1st class recorded delivery as well. Did you get a reply back from H.O. for returning BRP card by any chance ? OR they don't reply back ? I even got the same reply from the Post office haahaa, i have to wait 10 working days. But you are right, this should not be our fault, we sent it back within the time frame given to us. I think it should be 30 days long.It is very difficult to send it within 5 days around the Christmas time :cry:
Thank you

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 pm

No the home office does not send any acknowledgement that they have received the BRP card. Your only proof will be the signature on the track and trace once it's delivered. They only ask for you to send it within 5 days not for them to receive within 5 days so 30 days is not necessary.

akas83
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by akas83 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:49 pm

xavieryves wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 pm
No the home office does not send any acknowledgement that they have received the BRP card. Your only proof will be the signature on the track and trace once it's delivered. They only ask for you to send it within 5 days not for them to receive within 5 days so 30 days is not necessary.
Perfect, I can finally see xxxx has received it. So it took me 4 working days (not counting today as it was delivered at 10 am) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Problem solved, thanks Xavier and CR001 for your kind help, much appreciated :D

Happy new year !