ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UC

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cam123

UC

Post by Cam123 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi,
I am British citizen, my wife and a child are on a dependent visas with No Resources to Public funds, I have been to citizens advice breaue and they told me that I can get CB and Universal credit including housing benefits without affecting future immigration applications for my wife and child, is that true, can someone please advice.

Amber
Mood:

Re: UC

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:16 pm

A claim needs to be made jointly, then once your wife has had her HRT appointment, she should be removed from the claim. Insofar as you’re over 35 (if renting) then it should have no affect on future applications.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Cam123

Post by Cam123 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:21 pm

Hi Amber , really appreciate your prompt reply, they said apparently it would be on my name only and my wife’s name should be removed, also I am under 35 , will this be a problem if I am under 35 ,
Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:32 pm

If under 35, the tenancy agreement should be in your name only. The issue is that single people under 35 are entitled to a shared bedroom rate only whereas couples are a one bedroom rate, so there is a potential that public funds could be given for someone subject to immigration control.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Cam123

Post by Cam123 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 am

Many Thanks for the advice,
Also will child benefit be ok to claim as my child is also subject to immigration control and no resources to public funds.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 am

Yes, I’ve assumed you haven’t signed a maintenance undertaking in respect of the child.

Cam123

Post by Cam123 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:41 am

Actually I am not aware of maintenance undertaking and it’s signature, may be it is SU07 form which I didn’t submit, but in the cover letter I said that I will be responsible for my child and wife and I can support them without public funds, I am a bit confused now. Can you please guide me in that scenario should I claim child benefit and UC as I don’t want any problem with my wife and child future immigration applications and their ilr. Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:29 am

Cam123 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:41 am
Actually I am not aware of maintenance undertaking and it’s signature, may be it is SU07 form which I didn’t submit, but in the cover letter I said that I will be responsible for my child and wife and I can support them without public funds, I am a bit confused now. Can you please guide me in that scenario should I claim child benefit and UC as I don’t want any problem with my wife and child future immigration applications and their ilr. Thanks
Insofar as you did not sign the SU07/12 then you should be fine. As per previous for the UC claim.

Cam123

UC

Post by Cam123 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:24 am

Hi,

Due to pandemic I had to make a claim for UC, for that me and my wife made a claim online. Whereas my wife is on a spouse visa with NRPF and for the joint claim she had to make a separate UC account to link with my UC account. It’s like she claim UC as a partner as I am under the impression that her name will be taken out from the claim. I am worried that as she made a separate UC claim account, Has her visa conditions been breached because of this online application?

alivis2015

Post by alivis2015 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Cam123 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:24 am
Hi,

Due to pandemic I had to make a claim for UC, for that me and my wife made a claim online. Whereas my wife is on a spouse visa with NRPF and for the joint claim she had to make a separate UC account to link with my UC account. It’s like she claim UC as a partner as I am under the impression that her name will be taken out from the claim. I am worried that as she made a separate UC claim account, Has her visa conditions been breached because of this online application?
The UC will progress as usual, somewhere down the line you'll receive notification Stating "UC declined for Mrs/mr......." who ever holds non British passport.
Uc will be paid to British passport holder.

Why you initially had to enter your wife's detail and crate separate Uc account is because, UC take into account the couples earning regardless of which passport.

Its crazy isn't it, they won't give UC to non British passport holder but they'll take into account their earning. When they take into account their income your UC is reduced.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:51 pm

alivis2015 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Its crazy isn't it, they won't give UC to non British passport holder but they'll take into account their earning. When they take into account their income your UC is reduced.
Call me old fashioned, but a couple should support each other. For richer of poorer.

The UK's welfare state should not be supporting those who don't have settlement. These should work, or their spouse supports them.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:10 pm

alivis2015 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:10 pm
When they take into account their income your UC is reduced.
Or the UC claim is refused because their household income is too high. This also happens when both in the couple are British citizens too, because Universal Credit is a means tested benefit.

Those who have contributed to the UK over the previous two tax years, can claim New Style JSA and their partner's income is not taken into account for that benefit. That is because New Style JSA is a contribution based benefit. It's not a Public Fund either.

Cam123

Re: UC and child visa

Post by Cam123 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:52 am

Can someone please advise that claiming UC with a child , will breach my child’s visa condition as my child has child visa with NRPF , and also for UC I should not be claiming child element . Can someone please advise on that as my claim is still awaiting decision. Thanks

Cam123

Post by Cam123 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Can someone please advise