ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

*complicated* marriage on visit visa advice?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Non salaried financial calculations... don’t meet threshold but earn more then18600pa

Post by Boooop » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am

Hello,

I’m very confused about the financial requirements.

My fiancé earns 19070pa and the minimum incom threshold is 18600, he has been employed for 2 years by a single employer. However his gross pay falls below 1550pm and when I do the calculations with 6 months of payslips he falls short of the threshold.

Can we submit 12 months of payslips as that would show he meets the min threshold as well as his p60 and a letter from his employer? I was hoping to apply from Canada in April.

Which category would we apply from? A or B?
I’m so confused!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has us extremely worried.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Re: Non salaried financial calculations... don’t meet threshold but earn more then18600pa

Post by TODMATT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:22 am

Boooop wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am
Hello,

I’m very confused about the financial requirements.

My fiancé earns 19070pa and the minimum incom threshold is 18600, he has been employed for 2 years by a single employer. However his gross pay falls below 1550pm and when I do the calculations with 6 months of payslips he falls short of the threshold.

Can we submit 12 months of payslips as that would show he meets the min threshold as well as his p60 and a letter from his employer? I was hoping to apply from Canada in April.

I’m so confused!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has us extremely worried.
Is your fiancée salaried or Non salaried? How come he doesn’t meet the requirement if he’s gross annual salary £19,070? does he do overtime?

P60 doesn’t truly reflect the period which you have been since it’s only issued once a year in April.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Non salaried financial calculations... don’t meet threshold but earn more then18600pa

Post by geoeng » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:24 am

Boooop wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am
If you're having difficulty meeting the financial requirement using the calculations for the last 6 months income under Category A, it is probably worth considering Category B as it may give you more flexibility.

For Category B, you will have to prove that current salary (or annual equivalent of average gross monthly income for non-salaried employment) and total gross income received in the 12 months prior to applying both meet the financial requirement.

Additional details in the guidance document linked below.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 pm

So, after a sleepless night I figured out why the math wasn’t adding up. My fiancé is paid 4 weekly, so when you add in his 13 pay period he is over the limit. He makes 20085 a year, as his employer contract states.

I’m confused about this for a multitude of reasons.

A. His employer letter states the he makes 20085 annual salary, however he is paid hourly. £10.3 an hour @ 37.5 hours a week and his pay reflects hours worked. So is he salaried or not? Am I getting caught up on the phrasing. (Annual salary)

B. How do I provide the slips to the home office without them doing there monthly calculation as this will put us below threshold. Math works out if you calculate his pay weekly and we are ok, ex.

He gets paid 1488 a month (gross)

Salaried calc HO uses puts us at 17856,
but if you calculate using his weekly wage it puts us
at 20085. I’m not sure how to demonstrate this to them, do I send in 6,7, or 12 month slips?

I can figure out the math on a calculator but not sure how to show it in writing.

Any help would be sooooo appreciated. I

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Boooop wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 pm
A. His employer letter states the he makes 20085 annual salary, however he is paid hourly. £10.3 an hour @ 37.5 hours a week and his pay reflects hours worked. So is he salaried or not? Am I getting caught up on the phrasing. (Annual salary)
Because the hours worked per week is fixed and contractual, I would consider it salaried.
Boooop wrote:
B. How do I provide the slips to the home office without them doing there monthly calculation as this will put us below threshold. Math works out if you calculate his pay weekly and we are ok, ex.

at 20085. I’m not sure how to demonstrate this to them, do I send in 6,7, or 12 month slips?

I can figure out the math on a calculator but not sure how to show it in writing.

Just be very careful in how you explain it in writing (definitely don't write that he get's paid 1488/month as it neither helpful nor particularly accurate). I would write a cover letter explaining the salary calculation, pretty much exactly how you would put it in the calculator making clear he get's paid every 4 weeks, 13 times a year. Same with the letter from the employer. Highlight deposits on bank statements to make it clear. Send in 7 payslips so it covers a full 26 week period (6 months). This would only be if you want to apply under Category A, which it sounds like you are eligible for but may be slightly stressful ensuring the situation is clear.

Alternatively, which may be easier and less stressful for this situation, apply using Category B. In which case you would be submitting 12 months worth of payslips and bank statements and may make clearer how his income situation plays out over an entire year.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Is he eligible to apply under category B if he is salaried and employee for over a year?

This is so nerve racking, a lot of money to spend on visa that maybe denied because HO doesn’t have an algorithm for 4 weekly employees.

Urgh!

Thank you for the guidance though, this is a very daunting task.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Boooop wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:59 pm
Is he eligible to apply under category B if he is salaried and employee for over a year?

This is so nerve racking, a lot of money to spend on visa that maybe denied because HO doesn’t have an algorithm for 4 weekly employees.

Urgh!

Thank you for the guidance though, this is a very daunting task.
Yes, definitely eligible for Category B even if salaried and employed for over a year, there's no requirement that someone must apply using Category A if employed with the same employer for over 6 months, it's just an option for those who want to go that route. I like to think HO could figure it out for employees who get paid every 4 weeks, but they're also under a lot of pressure with applications and this presents an easy thing for them to overlook and make a mistake (which would probably be corrected with an appeal on the remote chance it was refused). I just suggested Category B to make it less stressful for you worrying about how they interpret the documents you provide.

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

4 weekly pay fiancé visa. Help!!!

Post by Boooop » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience successfully obtain a fiancé visa with 4 weekly pay schedule?

If I send in 6 months slips, his lowest gross amount is £1488, but that is for 4 weeks pay, not monthly.

How do I get HO to use the correct calculations as I have read a ton of stories about refusals due to 4 weekly pay and haven’t found any useful posts about how to apply.

My fiancé makes 20085 annually as of feb 1 2019, and made 29760 the year prior with the same company. He earns 10.3 an hour and works 37.5 hours a week.

He makes less then 1550 gross per month and I’m scared ECO won’t take weekly into consideration. Would we be better off applying category B?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this task seems daunting at the moment.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: 4 weekly pay fiancé visa. Help!!!

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 pm

If you add up The previous 26weeks gross income, what does it come to?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:54 am

Boooop wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 pm
He makes less then 1550 gross per month and I’m scared ECO won’t take weekly into consideration.
No he doesn't. He makes £1,673.75 gross per month ([£10.30*37.5*52]/12). There are several examples in the guidance document for using weekly pay (see example c in 5.1.7 and 5.2.3) and ECOs are entirely capable of taking it into consideration (I'm sure the government has provided them with calculators even in this age of austerity). All you should have to do is make clear that he is paid every 4 weeks (13 payslips per year), not monthly, and provide the required evidence for 6 months (include 7 payslips); write a letter walking them through the calculation you used to meet the financial requirement. The employer letter has to state the annual salary, the payslips and bank statements are just evidence to verify the information you give them.
Boooop wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 pm
Would we be better off applying category B?
"Better off" is subjective. If you meet the requirements of both Category A and Category B (which it seems like you do), you can choose which to use as they are both equally valid ways of meeting the requirement and you will not be assessed differently for choosing one over the other. It sounds like you have concerns about being refused under Category A because your partner being paid every 4 weeks and using Category B may be less stressful for you personally; your application will be no better or worse off as the annual salary is the same regardless, which is what the financial requirement is based on anyway.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:22 am

Boooop wrote:
So, after a sleepless night I figured out why the math wasn’t adding up. My fiancé is paid 4 weekly, so when you add in his 13 pay period he is over the limit. He makes 20085 a year, as his employer contract states.

The formula to calculate 4 weekly is different from the formula to monthly.

If you are paid 4 weekly, you will need 7 pays lips covering the period of 6 months.

Add the 7 payslips together divide it by 28 multiply by 52 and is this equal £18,600? if it then apply under CAT A non salaried and avoid CAT B as suggested above.

A lot of people have successfully applied using 4 weekly pay. Please ensure you mentioned in your employment letter that you are paid 4 weekly otherwise ECO can misinterpret how you are paid and convert it your pay into monthly.

All the best

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 pm
It comes to 9717.76

I got this amount by adding up 28 weeks pay/28

Which came to 373.76, 373.76x26 = 9717.76.

Is this the correct way to do this?

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:22 am
Boooop wrote:

The formula to calculate 4 weekly is different from the formula to monthly.

If you are paid 4 weekly, you will need 7 pays lips covering the period of 6 months.

Add the 7 payslips together divide it by 28 multiply by 52 and is this equal £18,600? if it then apply under CAT A non salaried and avoid CAT B as suggested above.

A lot of people have successfully applied using 4 weekly pay. Please ensure you mentioned in your employment letter that you are paid 4 weekly otherwise ECO can misinterpret how you are paid and convert it your pay into monthly.

All the best
Thank you, this is very helpful.

When I follow your calculation it comes to 19435,
So I guess that means we are good?

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:23 pm

You’re good to go.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Boooop wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 pm
It comes to 9717.76

I got this amount by adding up 28 weeks pay/28

Which came to 373.76, 373.76x26 = 9717.76.

Is this the correct way to do this?

No it is NOT. I have given you the correct formula above.

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Thank you for your help ToddMatt, I will use your calculation in my cover letter, I guess I was thinking that after I had to multiply it by 52 had to divide it by 2 to because I am giving them 7 months of slips not a years worth, but now I realize this is an unnecessary step as your calculation clearly demonstrates the requirement is met.

My apologies, and thank you very much for your help!

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm

One last pesky question,

If the amount calculated using the above equation isn’t exactly the same as what is stated in the employment letter, does that matter? If I do the calculation as mentioned above it comes to 19435,
however his employment contract says that he makes 20085. I’m assuming it’s because his pay is slightly varied month to month?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:48 am

Boooop wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm
If the amount calculated using the above equation isn’t exactly the same as what is stated in the employment letter, does that matter? If I do the calculation as mentioned above it comes to 19435,
however his employment contract says that he makes 20085. I’m assuming it’s because his pay is slightly varied month to month?
Based on the information provided (37.5 hours per week at £10.30/hour), an annual salary of £20,085 would be correct as per the employment letter/contract (37.5*10.3*52 = 20,085). If he's working the exact same number of hours every week (i.e. no overtime and no unpaid leave) his gross pay in every 4-weekly payslip should be the exact same (£386.25 per week, £1,545 every 4 weeks) unless someone (possibly myself) has mucked up the math or your fiance is being paid differently than described. The payslips and employment letter need to support the annual income you are using to meet the financial requirement. It is likely the officer reviewing the application will calculate it themselves based on the information you provide but it would probably cause less confusion if all the amounts mentioned in the application are the same.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Boooop wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm
One last pesky question,

Whatever you get from that total will be used towards meeting the financial requirement and it is normal for your employment contract to be different so don't worry too much because the amount on your payslips will varies since you are paid per hour and sometimes you do overtime whenever you like.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 am

geoeng wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:48 am
Based on the information provided (37.5 hours per week at £10.30/hour), an annual salary of £20,085 would be correct as per the employment letter/contract (37.5*10.3*52 = 20,085).
This is correct calculation. If someone gets paid 4 weekly then it need to be converted into weekly first.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Thank you all very much for your reply’s, because of this I now feel confident in our ability to show that we meet the financial requirement, however I’m now worried about the proving the subsisting relationship. I’m not sure if I should start a new thread or just post here.

I’m Canadian, he’s from the uk. We met on Xbox live playing a video game. We have known each other since June 2017 however our friendship didn’t become err intimate until February 2018.

During that time we mainly communicated through Snapchat and Xbox live parties. We were in touch daily, usually via an Xbox live party which we can’t exactly prove and snap chat deletes conversations once read. We have a few saved snaps but they are of a mature nature.

We met for the first time in May 2018 and spent a week together at the beginning of my trip and a week together at the end of the trip. We took a lot of pictures. On my first trip to uk I entered through Ireland and they asked me the intent of my trip and I said to travel and visit my Xbox friends. I’m worried that will work against me because I didn’t say I was here to meet my partner.

Needless to say we fell in love and I returned to Canada. We continued to communicate mainly through snap chat and Xbox.

I returned to the uk in September to spend time with him and have been staying with his family. I will be leaving in March a few days before the 6 month mark. We spent Christmas together and I have pictures with his family and we started using WhatsApp as it logs our conversation, but it’s minimal because we are together.

We document our outings and I have a few hotel receipts that state rooms were booked for 2 people but only my name is on the reservation.

We plan on contacting a registrar while I’m here to see if we can get proof that we intend to marry and when I leave in March he will be coming to Ireland with me for a week as my family will be there on vacation. Then we both return to our home countries. I’m hoping to apply in April and get married in August.

The initial plan was for him to come to Canada to get married and then I apply to sponsor him but he is criminally inadmissible due to a former dui. Is that a detail I should mention in our application.

We are both in our early 30’s and just want to be together so we can start a life and a family. I’m losing sleep over this. I’m very scared our app will be refused then I won’t be able to see him for a long time because of the duration of my stay. Any advice would be extremely appreciated and if I should be creating a new thread please let me know and I will do so.

You guys are great,

Thank you.

Boooop
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by Boooop » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm

I’m a complete tool. Mentioned I was exhausted.
We started our “intimate” relationship feb 2019, not 2018. I won’t be this careless in my app. I’m just a pro stressor and have barely slept in last 48 hours.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am

Boooop wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm
We met for the first time in May 2018 and spent a week together at the beginning of my trip and a week together at the end of the trip. We took a lot of pictures. On my first trip to uk I entered through Ireland and they asked me the intent of my trip and I said to travel and visit my Xbox friends. I’m worried that will work against me because I didn’t say I was here to meet my partner.
Wouldn't worry too much about that, sounds like at the time it was more or less the truth and not intended to be deceptive.

You'll just have to provide whatever you can in terms of proving a genuine and subsisting relationship, in general it sounds like you will likely have sufficient evidence of this and that you have a good idea of what to provide. Definitely include photos of the 2 of you together (especially if they include friends and family), any evidence of being on trips together, a selection of any WhatsApp chats you do have (suggest you keep using this as it is better for documenting these than Snapchat is), some people use letters from friends/family as proof of a relationship, etc.
Boooop wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm
The initial plan was for him to come to Canada to get married and then I apply to sponsor him but he is criminally inadmissible due to a former dui. Is that a detail I should mention in our application.
Certainly don't try to hide it. If asked about previous convictions or visa refusals, etc. it should be mentioned, but generally the application is more interested in your past than that of your partner.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am

geoeng wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am
some people use letters from friends/family as proof of a relationship, etc.
It will carry no weight and will be ignored as anyone can write it.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am

seagul wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am
It will carry no weight and will be ignored as anyone can write it.
I disagree. Most of the possible evidence that could be used to support a genuine and subsisting relationship could be faked if someone really wanted to, which is why it is supposed to be assessed as a whole on the balance of probabilities rather than having certain pieces automatically binned. There is a difference between a third party opinion that a relationship is genuine, which the guidance indicates is to carry no weight, and an evidence-based letter from someone stating that they have spent time with people who are in a relationship and discussed future plans together.