ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 - PhD extension query

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mahakhanzada
Newly Registered

Tier 4 - PhD extension query

Post by Mahakhanzada » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi,

I am applying for an extension to my PhD course and my university has granted me a CAS stating new course dates from Feb 20 to July 20. My current visa expires end of this month. I have been advised that I need to show funds for 6 months based on the course dates (as above) on my CAS. However, I have a copy of the CAS document and the university has also added the following information:

The student is continuing on a course of study which started on --September 2015 but which has been extended due to academic reasons. However, suitability has been assessed based on academic progress. English Language assessment has been based on previous study at the unviersity. As their course is longer than 12 months, they will also be entitled to the additional 4 months at the end of their visa, as per 5.66 of document 2 of the Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance. Most recent visa duration is --September 2015 to --January 2020.

I have two questions -
i) based on the above, am I really entited to an additional 4 months other than the 6 months on the CAS, given that my previous visa already had the 4 months added on?

ii) will this affect my maintanence requirements and take it over 6 months?

Thank you in advance for your help!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 - PhD extension query

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:21 am

Mahakhanzada wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:04 pm
am I really entited to an additional 4 months other than the 6 months on the CAS, given that my previous visa already had the 4 months added on?
Yes.
Mahakhanzada wrote:
No.

If you have questions about your application, I strongly advise you use the visa advice service at your university.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

alex132
- thin ice -

Post by alex132 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 pm

May I know how do you apply for PhD extension visa?

You have given 5 years of visa intially right?

Bethov76
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Bethov76 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 pm

alex132 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 pm
May I know how do you apply for PhD extension visa?

You have given 5 years of visa intially right?
You usually need to have an academic reason to extend your Tier 4 visa e.g. extension of thesis submission date. Most universities treat PhD's slightly differently but there always needs to be an academic reason to extend a Tier 4 visa unless it is applying for the DES.

Mahakhanzada
Newly Registered

Post by Mahakhanzada » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:21 am
Mahakhanzada wrote:
am I really entited to an additional 4 months other than the 6 months on the CAS, given that my previous visa already had the 4 months added on?
Yes.
Mahakhanzada wrote:
No.

If you have questions about your application, I strongly advise you use the visa advice service at your university.
Thank you for your help!