ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing from Youth mobility to Ancestry Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

adirb
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Changing from Youth mobility to Ancestry Visa

Post by adirb » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm

I am currently in the UK on a Youth Mobility visa that ends on the 9th of August. I am an Australian and New Zealand citizen aged 22, with two grandparents born in the UK. I qualify for the ancestry visa. Information I have seen says that you can't switch to this visa while in the UK and you need to be outside of the UK in order to apply. I am in New Zealand in February so was planning on applying for the ancestry visa then, as I would be outside of the UK. Will that override my current visa, or do I need to wait until after my current visa expires, leave the UK then apply then (not ideal at all)?

If I have to wait I have other clarifying questions. My current visa expires on the 9th of August. Am I able to apply for my ancestry visa on the 10th of May while out of the country, which would be exactly 3 months before the 10th of August? Or can I only apply on the 10th of August?

Finally, if my visa expires on the 9th of August is that when I have to leave the UK or can I automatically get a tourist visa that Australians/New Zealanders get when entering the country?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Changing from Youth mobility to Ancestry Visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Your tier 5 visa is canceled when an ancestry visa is approved and issued. You cannot hold two visa simultaneously.

When you apply for an ancestry visa is irrelevant to your tier 5, two different visas and immigration rules.

You must leave the UK on or before the tier 5 expiry date if you apply later in the year for an ancestry. You cannot remain in the UK and there is no automatic visitor visa while in the UK to allow you to stay.

You also cannot get entry as a tourist if you have an ancestry visa, it would cancel your ancestry visa if stamped in as a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

adirb
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by adirb » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me. To clarify, I can apply now for an ancestry visa even before my current tier 5 visa expires? Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 pm

adirb wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 pm
Thanks so much for getting back to me. To clarify, I can apply now for an ancestry visa even before my current tier 5 visa expires? Thanks again
Yes, provided you meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.