ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice for Job Seeking Outside of the UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mwhlr
Newly Registered

Advice for Job Seeking Outside of the UK

Post by Mwhlr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 am

Hi there,

I am a British citizen living in Japan and am currently building a spousal visa application for my wife. I am looking for advice regarding job-seeking in the UK from abroad.

Firstly, I'll give you my background:
I am originally from Glasgow, Scotland. After graduating from university, I was accepted onto the JET Programme and, for the past 3 years, I have been employed as an assistant English teacher in Japan. I have also achieved an N1 qualification (the highest offered) in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test and have completed a translation course. I graduated from university with a 1st class honours degree in music technology (so I'm computer savvy) and was the recipient of 2 court medals for excellence. I also worked as an assistant theatre technician for South Lanarkshire council. I married a Japanese national in 2018 and am now due to return to the UK at the start of September this year.

Ideally, I would like my wife to return with me. Given than it can take 3 months to process the application for a spousal visa, I am aiming to apply at the beginning of May. So far, everything has been going well. My parents own a 5 bedroom house near Glasgow and have given us permission to stay with them. We plan on meeting the financial requirement using cash savings and income. We have accumulated enough savings to reduce the income threshold to around £15,500. For the past 4 years I have been making an income well above this amount, however, the elephant in the room is that I obviously cannot continue my current job in the UK. I am therefore looking for employment at any level in Scotland which will pay the above gross annual salary. To me, the timeframe makes this very difficult. I need to secure a job due to start in September - Decemember by May. I have been looking online, but have yet to find anything for so late in the year. I have written out a rough template for an email I could send around to enquire about potential jobs, but mentioning my current situation seems unavoidable (and this obviously looks terrible).

I am unsure how to approach this and don't know if it's even possible. I'd be extremely greatful for any advice anyone could give me relating to my situation. I'm floundering a bit on my own.

Many thanks,
Michael

secret.simon

Re: Advice for Job Seeking Outside of the UK

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:47 am

Is it possible for you to increase your savings?

Savings of £62,500 in an accessible account for six months would obviate the need for earnings entirely.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.