ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Report the end of a relationship when still married?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Peted
Brazil

Report the end of a relationship when still married?

Post by Peted » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:37 am

Hi all,
I hold a Tier 4 visa, and I brought my husband with me as a dependent. Our relationship seems to have ended, and he is making arrangements to move out within the coming weeks. I know both of us must report this situation to the Home Office, which will probably lead to his visa being curtailed. Is there a maximum time we must report? I ask this because relationships are like this (they may end, and then the couple may make up again, and one never really knows what may happen). Can I wait some time, or must I report as soon as he moves out?

A second question is: is there any risky or serious implication to my own Tier4 visa if I do not report the end of my relationship with my dependent, or do no report it quickly enough? (we'll remain married until we are in our own country, where we can divorce, and this will take a long time).

Thanks for any comments you may have.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Report the end of a relationship when still married?

Post by sah10406 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:06 am

Peted wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:37 am
Is there a maximum time we must report? I ask this because relationships are like this (they may end, and then the couple may make up again, and one never really knows what may happen). Can I wait some time, or must I report as soon as he moves out?
You (and he) must report the separation when you separate. The Home Office is not interested in the ups and downs of anyone's marriage, they just need to know when a couple is no longer together because that has implications for any visa that was issued based on them being a couple.

See https://www.gov.uk/visas-when-you-separate-or-divorce
Peted wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:37 am
is there any risky or serious implication to my own Tier4 visa if I do not report the end of my relationship with my dependent, or do no report it quickly enough? (we'll remain married until we are in our own country, where we can divorce, and this will take a long time).
Yes. As above, you must both report to the Home Office if you are no longer together. It is not only about if you divorce.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.