ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 and the two-year post-study work visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 4 and the two-year post-study work visa

Post by MarbleMarch » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 am

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen interested in working in the UK. I'm over 30 so I don't qualify for a Tier 5 visa.

I've been applying to jobs in London and getting replies but everything stops when I say that I need visa sponsorship...

Anyway, I'm thinking about studying in the UK so that I use the two-year post-study work visa after graduation to find a job. I already have an MBA so I don't want to do another Master's degree.

What other courses of study enable me to get a Tier 4 visa?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 and the two-year post-study work visa

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 am

MarbleMarch wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 am
What other courses of study enable me to get a Tier 4 visa?
See https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... layer-3001 > Eligible courses

Looking at your previous posts about work visas, and the way you have asked this new question about a study visa, a cynical person could think that your focus is not on work or study but on moving to the UK by any means necessary. That would not bode well for the credibility aspect of a Tier 4 application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by MarbleMarch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:20 am

sah10406 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 am
a cynical person could think that your focus is not on work or study but on moving to the UK by any means necessary.
Yes, you got me! I'm guilty as charged lol

In all seriousness, I fell in love with the UK and my focus is to live there permanently. Thank you for the link though, it's pretty good. I'll take a look at my options.
sah10406 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 am
That would not bode well for the credibility aspect of a Tier 4 application
The UK is offering students 2 years after graduation to find work. Boris wants highly skilled migrants to move to the UK so I don't see any issue with credibility here.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Wow!

People in the UK (even the Royals!) wanting to move and live in Canada and you want to come to the UK, what a paradox!... just kidding! (but still a truth)

If you don't want to do another Master, how do you want to get the post-study permit? I mean, a full-time Master in the UK lasts one year, so this is the "quicker" way to get a UK university degree.

On the other hand, the conditions of that two-year programme have not been announced yet. I guess that should be done so in the next weeks, as applications for the next academic year have started.

My main concern here is how the government will encourage companies to hire people under those conditions, as they still will need to apply for a Tier 2 visa after the time expires.

If companies remain reluctant to hire non-EU candidates as it's happening now, that will be a total mess. The country will be full of foreign graduates struggling to find a job.

Wikileaks
Newly Registered

Post by Wikileaks » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:25 pm

Exactly. This is what is going to happen. Those with post-study permits will still face the herculean task of getting sponsorship for Tier 2 jobs. But they should hopefully be exempted from the Residency Labour Market Test which should make things a bit easier.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Well, I don't know if companies being exempted of the RLMT would be a wise thing. This will put UK and EU candidates in a big disadvantage, which would be very unpopular and widely counterproductive. We need to wait for the government's announcement about the programme to get a better idea.

Let's see how it goes.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 am

lolo2 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:04 pm
Well, I don't know if companies being exempted of the RLMT would be a wise thing. This will put UK and EU candidates in a big disadvantage, which would be very unpopular and widely counterproductive.
The Migration Advisory Committee has already found that this is not the case, and the government said in the December 2018 immigration white paper that they intend to get rid of the RLMT for all skilled worker application.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-system

See page 15.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MarbleMarch
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by MarbleMarch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:03 am

sah10406 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 am
The Migration Advisory Committee has already found that this is not the case, and the government said in the December 2018 immigration white paper that they intend to get rid of the RLMT for all skilled worker application.

See page 15.
Exactly! And, by the way, a new white paper will be published this week:

"The proposals are expected to be presented this week by Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, as part of a paper on the UK's future immigration system".

Source: The Telegraph, January 18th, 2020

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ides-plan/

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:03 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 am

See page 15.
Got it, thanks.

That was a skills-based proposal presented to the Parliament by Theresa May when she was the Prime Minister. Boris Johnson wants a points-based system which obviously would be the same concept with perhaps additional things (and a slightly different name).

According to that proposal, getting rid of the RLMT would lead to follow a similar process than the one for candidates with qualifications included in the Shortage Occupation List. The process is "more straightforward" and lower fees are paid.

But the thing here is that candidates currently in the SOC, even under two o more codes, still struggle to find a job. The main reason given is that some companies or hiring managers simply don't want to do the process.

That's my main concern, encouraging companies to hire more international candidates.
MarbleMarch wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:03 am

Exactly! And, by the way, a new white paper will be published this week:

"The proposals are expected to be presented this week by Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, as part of a paper on the UK's future immigration system".

Source: The Telegraph, January 18th, 2020

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ides-plan/
Thanks for the link.

We will have a new proposal this week then, let's see how different is from the May's proposal and also how they will be addressing this post-study work permit.

Hope everyone can benefit from it.