ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Concealing British Citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rand987
Newly Registered

Concealing British Citizenship

Post by rand987 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:13 pm

I'm a naturalised British Citizen. My country of birth (say country 'X') does not allow dual citizenship but I used my old passport (from country X) along with my indefinite leave to remain visa on it to visit a dying family member in a hurry, instead of applying for visa X to the country using my British passport. When I returned to the UK (using the passport from country X) the border officer asked if I had applied for British Citizenship, I answered 'no' to avoid hassle which I almost immediately regretted, but they seemed convinced and let me through anyway. If the Home Office discovers I was concealing my British Citizenship, would they really care because the UK accepts dual citizenship and cannot deny entry to British Citizens, or would I get into some sort of trouble? If so, what sort of penalties am I looking at? Could my British Citizenship be revoked over this?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Concealing British Citizenship

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Hello

The Home Office doesn't force you to go all over the world telling various authorities that you are British.

If you are abroad and you risk prosecution, persecution or getting into trouble but telling people, including foreign authorities, that you are British, by all means just deny it and tell them you are not. Nobody is going to take away your British Citizenship because you told a cop in some remote country that you are not British.

The cop in your country had to choice but to believe you. It's not like he his going to check in his computer and see that you have British Citizenship.

However, you are supposed to return your permanent residence once you get British Citizenship. You risk to pay some money if you don't. I don't remember from the top of my head, but it was something around £1200 fine. But again, they don't take your citizenship overt that.

Other thing, once your passport from country X expires, how are you going to renew it? They need to see a residence permit in the UK. As a British Citizen, you don't have that (once your return your ILR).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm
Hello

The Home Office doesn't force you to go all over the world telling various authorities that you are British.

If you are abroad and you risk prosecution, persecution or getting into trouble but telling people, including foreign authorities, that you are British, by all means just deny it and tell them you are not. Nobody is going to take away your British Citizenship because you told a cop in some remote country that you are not British.

The cop in your country had to choice but to believe you. It's not like he his going to check in his computer and see that you have British Citizenship.

However, you are supposed to return your permanent residence once you get British Citizenship. You risk to pay some money if you don't. I don't remember from the top of my head, but it was something around £1200 fine. But again, they don't take your citizenship overt that.

Other thing, once your passport from country X expires, how are you going to renew it? They need to see a residence permit in the UK. As a British Citizen, you don't have that (once your return your ILR).
I think the op lied to the IO when returning to the UK with foreign passport and ilr card as I read the post.
When I returned to the UK (using the passport from country X) the border officer asked if I had applied for British Citizenship, I answered 'no' to avoid hassle which I almost immediately regretted, but they seemed convinced and let me through anyway.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rand987
Newly Registered

Post by rand987 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Yeah CR001 is right.

I am basically wondering if the UK really cares about a 'transgression' like this (hiding the fact that I am a British Citizen) because UK accepts dual citizenship and I was pretending to have less rights than I actually do.

I should also clarify my ILR is the old stamp on a passport that did not have to be returned afaik, unlike the Biometric ID cards that are issued nowadays.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Aha!

That's another story. I am surprised the IO didn't check further. My advice is only for foreign authorities indeed.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 am

rand987 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:13 pm
I'm a naturalised British Citizen. My country of birth (say country 'X') does not allow dual citizenship but I used my old passport (from country X) along with my indefinite leave to remain visa on it to visit a dying family member in a hurry, instead of applying for visa X to the country using my British passport. When I returned to the UK (using the passport from country X) the border officer asked if I had applied for British Citizenship, I answered 'no' to avoid hassle which I almost immediately regretted, but they seemed convinced and let me through anyway. If the Home Office discovers I was concealing my British Citizenship, would they really care because the UK accepts dual citizenship and cannot deny entry to British Citizens, or would I get into some sort of trouble? If so, what sort of penalties am I looking at? Could my British Citizenship be revoked over this?
Nothing will happen to the person as I think he did the right think to avoid hassle but such repeated acts can cause a trouble.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:29 am

The IO obviously believed the lie you told him/her. Many would do their own checks and next time you may not be so lucky. However, there is no risk of you losing your British citizenship if caught in this lie. What will happen though is your ILR Visa will be physically cancelled because as a British national you are no longer subject to immigration control and entering on a visa does just that.