ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ballet
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by Ballet » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:31 pm

🇬🇧🎉🎊

Congratulations!

Faircape wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:12 pm
WOW

I am relieved as I finally received my passport today , less than 3 weeks since applying , so processing is quite prompt. (DHL seems to take the most time)

My final timeline from commencement of my application to receipt of passport is a few days short of 7 months.
I have been fortunate in that there have been no glitches in my process, but the assistance and encouragement of other contributors on this site , has materially shortened the processing time on my application.

I wish jkproperties a speedy finalisation of his process and receipt of passport

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South African
Applying from: South Africa
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 06 May 2019
Payment method: Credit card 06 May 2019
Date of acknowledgement : 07 May 2019
Documents sent by courier : 15 May 2019 (Apostille copies – not originals or vault copies)
Date of receipt by UKVI (DHL notified) : 17 May 2019
Application to retain SA citizenship: 25 July 2019
SA citizenship retention granted by DHA: 21 Aug 2019
Email from Nationality Courier Service : 22 Aug 2019
Date of biometrics appt confirmation: 23 Aug 2019
Biometrics done: 26 Aug 2019
Date of Biometrics approval: 30 Aug 2019
Date of Invitation to Ceremony : 30 Oct 2019
Date of ceremony: 15 Nov 2019
Date applied for passport: 15 Nov 2019
Date Documents sent : 16 Nov 2019
Passport Application received: 21 Nov 2019
Passport Application marked Dispatched: 28 Nov 2019
Date passport received: 04 Dec 2019

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm

I am attending my ceremony tomorrow.
Finally,
The certificates go to Capetown first then they stay there around 2 weeks before going out.

Will do my passport application at the consulate, print and post from PTA.

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:34 am

Congratulations!!!

How did it go, yesterday?

Your passport application should be a smoother process.

jkproperties wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm
I am attending my ceremony tomorrow.
Finally,
The certificates go to Capetown first then they stay there around 2 weeks before going out.

Will do my passport application at the consulate, print and post from PTA.

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Was a fairly quick process,
Big group, you get called up one at a time to say the oath.
Then a pledge all together.
I have now applied for my passport.
Docs arrived yesterday.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 pm

jkproperties wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:01 pm
Docs arrived yesterday.
Congratulations!! I've been keeping an eye on your posts, hoping things finally worked out you. I'm glad to see they did. My process took a while also. My passport was processed very quickly though. Hopefully you have the same experience. Congratulations again!

ekrabappel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by ekrabappel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi,

Am not sure if this is the place to ask but am hoping you can help. I am an Australian with a Scottish mother and am currently filling out form UKM online. I have 2 referees organised but am not sure what I need to get them to fill out to send as documentation. I have found the form used in the postal application but it is mostly details that I have already entered such as referee address etc. I have 2 passport photos but want to make sure they are used the right way. I also gather just one form is needed for both referees. Is that correct.

Finally, regarding criminal history, how fussy are they? I have no convictions but did lose my licence for 7 days for speeding accumulated demerit points about 25-30 years ago. I have had several speeding tickets over the years but the last one would be pushing 3 years ago if not further back. Is there a way to find out?

Thanks

David

seannn
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by seannn » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:33 pm

i am now officially a sworn in brit. i was approved rather quickly which may have been due to having included all the original documents, ie mother's passport and birth cert, parents marriage certificate, and i made sure to fill in the forms very clearly and cleanly with nice thick blue ballpoint. although i brought a filled out passport app to my ceremony i was instead referred to their online process, which was simple enough and i expect to receive that in a few weeks. my post ceremony celebration was fish & chips and a pint :wink:

Eligibility: UKM (born before 1983 in USA to English mother)
Applying from: USA
Date of application delivery to UKVI: 3 July 2019 (via UPS)
Date Credit card debited: 4 July 2019
Date of biometrics letter request: 4 July 2019
Date of acknowledgement email from UKVI with case ID: 5 July 2019
Date of additional acknowledgement email, from UKBA: 8 July 2019
Date of biometrics appointment confirmation email: 12 August 2019
Biometrics done: 21 August 2019 (USCIS Application Support Center, Los Angeles)
Date of approval: 3 September 2019 (Recv'd 11 September certified Royal Mail)
Date of ceremony invitation email: 19 November 2019
Date of ceremony: 26 November 2019, UK Consulate, Los Angeles

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:34 am

Hi David

On the referee front, if you're doing the online application, when you get to the end there will be two referee documents to print out. You attach your photo to each one and get the referee to fill in his/her details and sign that it's you in the photo and that they're willing to vouch for you. One form per referee. You then include those documents with the rest of the docs you are sending in to support your application.

Can't help on the second question, I'm afraid.
ekrabappel wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Hi,

Am not sure if this is the place to ask but am hoping you can help. I am an Australian with a Scottish mother and am currently filling out form UKM online. I have 2 referees organised but am not sure what I need to get them to fill out to send as documentation. I have found the form used in the postal application but it is mostly details that I have already entered such as referee address etc. I have 2 passport photos but want to make sure they are used the right way. I also gather just one form is needed for both referees. Is that correct.

Finally, regarding criminal history, how fussy are they? I have no convictions but did lose my licence for 7 days for speeding accumulated demerit points about 25-30 years ago. I have had several speeding tickets over the years but the last one would be pushing 3 years ago if not further back. Is there a way to find out?

Thanks

David

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 am

ekrabappel wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

David
There is no longer a good character requirement for UKM applicants. This has been the case for over a year now. I have not checked whether they’ve updated the forms to remove the section but it was mentioned on their website back in late summer 2018 that the requirement was being removed.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:41 pm

sunburn wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 am
ekrabappel wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

David
There is no longer a good character requirement for UKM applicants. This has been the case for over a year now. I have not checked whether they’ve updated the forms to remove the section but it was mentioned on their website back in late summer 2018 that the requirement was being removed.
I'm working on my sister's application. As far as I can see, any references to the requirement that you be of "good character" have been removed from the UKM guidance.

Here is the current UKM guidance, updated 13/09/2019

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t-2019.pdf

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Thank you,
I submitted my passport application on 10 December, been in -recess since 18 December.
I called the call Centre today, according to the guy I spoke to my application was allocated to someone today.

I am hopeful it will be approved today or tomorrow.

I have also done my children’s settlement visa’s applications.

I am hoping I will have my passport in time for the tls appointment.

But I am worried it won’t, so will add a motivation and proof of application of passport.
Because the visa application asks for my British passport biometrics page copy.
luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 pm
jkproperties wrote:
Docs arrived yesterday.
Congratulations!! I've been keeping an eye on your posts, hoping things finally worked out you. I'm glad to see they did. My process took a while also. My passport was processed very quickly though. Hopefully you have the same experience. Congratulations again!

SuperM
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SuperM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Hi JKproperties,
I see you have done your children's settlement visas, I was wondering if you could tell me how you are doing it please. I was lead to believe that I have to be in the UK for 6 months before I can apply for my family to join me on settlement Visa's.
Thank you.
jkproperties wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:25 pm
Thank you,
I submitted my passport application on 10 December, been in -recess since 18 December.
I called the call Centre today, according to the guy I spoke to my application was allocated to someone today.

I am hopeful it will be approved today or tomorrow.

I have also done my children’s settlement visa’s applications.

I am hoping I will have my passport in time for the tls appointment.

But I am worried it won’t, so will add a motivation and proof of application of passport.
Because the visa application asks for my British passport biometrics page copy.
luthersnowak wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 pm
jkproperties wrote:
Docs arrived yesterday.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm

SuperM wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:16 pm
Hi JKproperties,
I see you have done your children's settlement visas, I was wondering if you could tell me how you are doing it please. I was lead to believe that I have to be in the UK for 6 months before I can apply for my family to join me on settlement Visa's.
Thank you.
This is not the correct topic to ask about child settlement visas please. It is only for form UKM applications.

See users other topic for information!

immigration-for-family-members/ile-for- ... l#p1862949
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SuperM
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SuperM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm

I'm really sorry, thank you so much for the link to the correct place.
CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm
SuperM wrote:
Hi JKproperties,
Thank you.
This is not the correct topic to ask about child settlement visas please. It is only for form UKM applications.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:44 pm

SuperM wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm
I'm really sorry, thank you so much for the link to the correct place.
CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm
SuperM wrote:
Hi JKproperties,
Thank you.

No worries :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ekrabappel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by ekrabappel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:24 am

Thanks for the replies. I actually used the 3 pages from the postal application even though I was doing an online application as one of my referess was heading oversees on holidays. Yes, there was a link to printable forms at the end but I had to get the referee to sign before I saw the forum replies. I hope they will accept the 3 pages. It is the same information as the onlime forms so am hoping it will be OK. I wonder why they didn't have the link on the pages that first mention the requirement for referees? Just a bit concerned as I posted the documents on the 7th Jan via Auspost. Documents arrived on the 10th according to Auspost tracking. It is now the 16th and I haven't recieved confirmation that they have the documents. I know that the actual processing may take some time but would have thought the document receipt response woud have been 24-48 hours.

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:40 am

They confirm receipt of the online application, but not receipt of the documents. The only way I (and I think most people here) knew that my documents were safely delivered was via the courier.

ekrabappel
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by ekrabappel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 pm

OK. Thanks Belle. Looks like it's just a case of waiting now.

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 pm

Update: I received my citizenship ceremony invitation today so the end is in sight :)

Eligibility Criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South Africa
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: 25 July 2019
Date funds withdrawn: 25 July 2019
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: 26 July 2019
Date documents sent: 26 July 2019
Date of receipt by UKVI: 29 July 2019 (confirmation from DHL)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 8 September 2019 (just under 6 weeks from receipt of documents)
Biometrics appointment: 11 September 2019
Date of approval: Advised of successful application by Nationality Courier Service on 20 November 2019, but letter dated 11 November 2019 (two months from biometrics)
Notice documents ready for collection: 19 November 2019
Documents returned: 27 November 2019 (DHL)
Invitation for ceremony: 17 January 2020
Date of ceremony: 11 February 2020
Date applied for passport: Pending
Date passports received: Pending

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Ok,
So apparently my passport has been printed,
I assume it has been sent.

I had a very straight forward application.
My mom is U.K. born.

Applied 20 March and approved end of October.
I won’t add my timelines as they are way out of the norm.

Some system glitches caused my delay.
And my passport has also taken longer than normal.

So a very long wait for me.
But we hope to be in the U.K. in February.
Good luck everyone.

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Faircape » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:27 am

Congratulations Belle,

one of the shorter processing times from start to finish - (around 220 days) you are nearly there and if all goes well should have your passport around 3 weeks after the ceremony (presuming you do your application immediately afterwards and your person in UK to confirm your identity is in place)

We were all reminded by the Vice Consul If you intend retaining your RSA citizenship , it must be sorted before the Ceremony.

Belle1207 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 pm
Update: I received my citizenship ceremony invitation today so the end is in sight :)

Eligibility Criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South Africa
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Date of application: 25 July 2019
Date funds withdrawn: 25 July 2019
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: 26 July 2019
Date documents sent: 26 July 2019
Date of receipt by UKVI: 29 July 2019 (confirmation from DHL)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 8 September 2019 (just under 6 weeks from receipt of documents)
Biometrics appointment: 11 September 2019
Date of approval: Advised of successful application by Nationality Courier Service on 20 November 2019, but letter dated 11 November 2019 (two months from biometrics)
Notice documents ready for collection: 19 November 2019
Documents returned: 27 November 2019 (DHL)
Invitation for ceremony: 17 January 2020
Date of ceremony: 11 February 2020
Date passports received: Pending

michelle13
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by michelle13 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Hello! I'm feeling extremely concerned about my UKM application. I am an American born (1968) to a Scottish mother and submitted all original supporting documents.

Completed online application: 13/12/19
Received email confirmation with case id: 16/12/19
Sent documents to U.K.: 17/12/19
USPS confirmed delivery: 24/12/19

I have not received an email confirming receipt of my original documents, nor have I received a request for biometrics. Reading this forum, I should have received confirmation as my documents were received 30 days ago.

aussieemma
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by aussieemma » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi all, I wanted to share my timeline with you now I have received my approval. This forum helped me understand the application process and waiting times, so I hope this may help others too. Good luck :)

Eligibility criteria: Born to a British Mother before 1983
Nationality: Australian
Applying from: UK (living in the UK through previous Right of Abode)
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 17/09/2019
Date of receipt of payment by UKVI: 17/09/2019 email
Date of acknowledgement by UKVI: 18/09/2019 email
Date of letter requesting biometrics: none (booked online via Sopra Steria UKVCAS as instructed)
Biometrics done: 07/10/2019
Date of approval: 13/01/2020 letter (received on 23/01/2020)
Date of ceremony: 05/02/2020 (paid for a private ceremony on the earliest possible date)
Date passport received: Pending

AustinRose
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by AustinRose » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 pm

Hi all -- I too am confused about my UKM application. I am a US citizen born to a Scottish mother. I applied in July 2019 with all documents and got a confirmation of receipt almost immediately. About 6 weeks later I got an email from the Home Office telling me to make a biometrics appointment via email to UKVINewYork.Correspondence@fco.gsi.gov.uk

I tried to do so, but email to that address bounced. I followed up with email questions to the Customer Center, the Nationality Enquiries and Further National Enquiries accounts, but have gotten no answer yet about how to proceed, just referrals to different emails, some of which don't respond at all.

How long does one wait for this process? Is it worth calling and talking to them by phone, and if so, which office would you advise is best? Thanks for any advice.

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 pm

You may need to reapply given the length of time that has elapsed. I would go directly to your nearest visa office to enrol biometrics when they are called for rather than waste time trying to make an appointment.
AustinRose wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 pm
Hi all -- I too am confused about my UKM application. I am a US citizen born to a Scottish mother. I applied in July 2019 with all documents and got a confirmation of receipt almost immediately. About 6 weeks later I got an email from the Home Office telling me to make a biometrics appointment via email to UKVINewYork.Correspondence@fco.gsi.gov.uk

I tried to do so, but email to that address bounced. I followed up with email questions to the Customer Center, the Nationality Enquiries and Further National Enquiries accounts, but have gotten no answer yet about how to proceed, just referrals to different emails, some of which don't respond at all.

How long does one wait for this process? Is it worth calling and talking to them by phone, and if so, which office would you advise is best? Thanks for any advice.