ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for Spouse and Step Son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

karollc
Brazil

British Citizenship for Spouse and Step Son

Post by karollc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 am

Hi,
I am on a similar situation where my husband is applying for his British citizenship and his son(my stepson) is over 18 and is not in UK at the moment but my husband still sponsor him financially.
How can we apply for him. Does my husband has to do his first then him after or can he apply at the same time
If apply the same time is possible how we do as he is in Brazil

Thanks in advance for the help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship for Spouse and Step Son

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:07 am

Your step son requires residence in the UK to apply for British citizenship. He cannot apply from Brazil.

What is the step son's UK immigration history??

From your previous posts, it suggest your step son might have ILR. If yes, when did he get it and how long has the step son been out of the UK?

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ilr-tier-2-a ... 92884.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

karollc
Brazil

Post by karollc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks for your reply

He lived with us for 6 years and he had a dependent visa of my husband who was as my dependent under working permit visa
My step son did not apply for ILR as when we apply for it he went back to Brazil.
What visa can we apply for him
As I hear with my husband has a british citizenship he can apply with him
Is that right

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am

My step son did not apply for ILR as when we apply for it he went back to Brazil.
That is unfortunate that he didn't get ILR.
What visa can we apply for him
Presumably he is now well over the age of 18, about 22?? Not many options now as he is an adult.
As I hear with my husband has a british citizenship he can apply with him
Is that right
Not is it not. Your step son doesn't qualify for citizenship as he appears to have been absent for a long time and does NOT hold ILR.

ILR is mandatory for citizenship.

When your husband becomes British, it is not applied retrospectively to his adult children born abroad. The son will have no benefit if the father becomes British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

karollc
Brazil

Post by karollc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am

so in this case is there any visa we can apply for him. as he still financial dependent of my husband

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 am

Not really no as he is now considered an adult. He would likely have to find a visa he qualifies for in his own right (tier 4 student visa etc).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:11 pm

karollc wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am
so in this case is there any visa we can apply for him. as he still financial dependent of my husband
Financial dependence does not equate go immigration dependence
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.