ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cohabitation evidence for FLR(M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Telco123
Oman

Cohabitation evidence for FLR(M)

Post by Telco123 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Thank you for your amazing help in this forum so far.

My wife joined me in July/ Aug 2017 on Spouse visa (expires March 2020).

We are planning to submit her FLR(M) by end of Feb but struggling to find evenly distributed letters for cohabitation for her as she is not named on any bills.

I have got few questions please:-

1- Are the below documents sufficient for cohabitation or too long list?

2- Should I remove docs or try to add more?

3- Is it ok to use same source for consecutive periods (For example period Aug 18- Jan 19, only bank statements from same bank/ account)

4- Is the latest document OK to be dated January or need one in Feb?

5- Will the latest document have to be dated within 28 days at time of submission?

Joint names
Council bill 6 Nov 17
Council bill 9 Mar 18
Council bill 8 Mar 19

Wife (applicant)
25 Oct 17 NHS letter
27 Feb 18 bank statement
8 June 18 NHS letter
10 Aug 18 bank statement
12 Oct 18 bank statement
20 Nov 18 bank letter
23 Jan 19 GP practice letter
25 March 19 NHS hospital
June 19 Bank letter
15 Jul 19 GP practice letter
17 Aug 19 DVLA letter
11 Oct 19 Bank statement
12 Dec 19 Bank statement
10 Jan 20 bank statement

Husband (sponsor)
9 March 18 Electricity bill
2 June 18 Bank letter
19 Aug 18 electricity bill
28 Oct 18 Phone bill
19 Jan 19 Electricity bill
4 June 19 credit card statement
28 Aug 19 phone bill
21 Nov 19 Electricity bill
3 Jan 20 credit card statement

askhans786

Re: Cohabitation evidence for FLR(M)

Post by askhans786 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:24 pm

If your application is as the partner of a settled person or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection

Six items of correspondence addressed to you and your partner at the same address as evidence that you have been living together since your last grant of leave in this category, or from the date you first started living together up to a maximum of two years. See Note 11.

Note 11 The items of correspondence should be addressed to you jointly or in both your names. Examples of acceptable items are listed below. The documents provided must be originals. Photocopies are not acceptable. The dates of the items of correspondence should be spread evenly over the whole period you are relying on. They should be from at least 3 different sources. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. For example - Four items of correspondence in joint names to the same address and two items addressed to each partner at the address. In total eight items would need to be submitted. If you and your partner have no bills or correspondence in joint names, you will need to submit twelve items (six each) of correspondence, evidencing that you reside together at the same address. If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the period you are relying on, please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this. If you did not live together for any part of the period you are relying on, tell us the reasons for this and whether you stayed in contact with each other during this time, and provide any relevant supporting evidence. Please give an explanation on a separate sheet if you cannot provide six items; if the items are not addressed to both of you; or if they do not cover the period you are relying on.

Examples of acceptable items of correspondence

• Letters or other documents from government departments or agencies, for example HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, DVLA, TV Licensing.
• Letters or other documents from your GP, a hospital or other local health service about medical treatments, appointments, home visits or other medical matters
• Bank statements/letters
• Building society savings books/letters
• Council tax bills or statements
• Electricity and/or gas bills or statements
• Water rates bills or statement
• Mortgage statements/agreement
• Tenancy agreement(s)
• Telephone bills or statements

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Telco123 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:11 pm
Thank you for your amazing help in this forum so far.

My wife joined me in July/ Aug 2017 on Spouse visa (expires March 2020).

We are planning to submit her FLR(M) by end of Feb but struggling to find evenly distributed letters for cohabitation for her as she is not named on any bills.

I have got few questions please:-

1- Are the below documents sufficient for cohabitation or too long list?

2- Should I remove docs or try to add more?

3- Is it ok to use same source for consecutive periods (For example period Aug 18- Jan 19, only bank statements from same bank/ account)

4- Is the latest document OK to be dated January or need one in Feb?

5- Will the latest document have to be dated within 28 days at time of submission?

Joint names
Council bill 6 Nov 17
Council bill 9 Mar 18
Council bill 8 Mar 19

Wife (applicant)
25 Oct 17 NHS letter
27 Feb 18 bank statement
8 June 18 NHS letter
10 Aug 18 bank statement
12 Oct 18 bank statement
20 Nov 18 bank letter
25 March 19 NHS hospital
June 19 Bank letter
17 Aug 19 DVLA letter
11 Oct 19 Bank statement
12 Dec 19 Bank statement
10 Jan 20 bank statement

Husband (sponsor)
2 June 18 Bank letter
28 Oct 18 Phone bill
28 Aug 19 phone bill
1. More than sufficient and are good arranged.
2. Looks fine
3. Yes as long as other documents from other sources are also attached same as in your case.
4. Jan/Feb both fine.
5. No
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Telco123
Oman

Travel after submitting FLR(M)

Post by Telco123 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Thank you for your help. One more quick question please.

Can I (the sponsor) travel for few days after the application is submitted or will this have an effect on the application?

I understand my wife (applicant) should not travel whilst application is being considered.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travel after submitting FLR(M)

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Telco123 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm
Thank you for your help. One more quick question please.

Can I (the sponsor) travel for few days after the application is submitted or will this have an effect on the application?

I understand my wife (applicant) should not travel whilst application is being considered.
You are free to travel as the sponsor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Telco123
Oman

Couple of questions about FLR(M)

Post by Telco123 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks everyone for your great help. I have got couple of questions left that I am confused about and appreciate your assistance.

This will be the first extension for my wife spouse visa, so when I am filling the application, can you advise if I answered the below questions correctly for her:-

1- Is this the first time you have applied for a partner route, or an extension, with your current partner (including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)?

I answered this NO, as I assumed she applied for a partner route when we got married. Or is question referring to the extension here?

2- Please choose the reason you are applying for an extension, this includes if you are switching to a partner visa from another type.

I selected the below answer, I assume this is the correct answer

First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)

3- Have you previously lived in a country outside the UK including your country of birth?

I hope I am not overthinking this question, but this answer should include all countries she lived at even before we got married and got her spouse visa, correct?

askhans786

Post by askhans786 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi,

I think your answer is correct.

1) Is this the first time you have applied for a partner route, or an extension, with your current partner
(including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner).
This is how is read the question.

1) Is this the first time you have applied for a an extension, with your current partner
(including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)

YES

I was also stuck with this question but in my previous query Moderator has answered this.

Reason for extension

2. Please choose the reason you are applying for an extension, this includes if you are switching to a partner visa from another type. (Required)

First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)

3- Have you previously lived in a country outside the UK including your country of birth?

All the countries you have lived in need to be mentioned here.

Telco123
Oman

Post by Telco123 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks a lot for your help. Apologies for asking many questions.

1- Do I need to submit a tenancy agreement to prove accommodation?

I remember I was asked for one when initially applied for my wife spouse visa but the checklist of the FLR(M) application doesn't mention any.

2-If it is required, can you point me in the right direction where it says it is needed as I am worried I answered incorrectly and hence the online checklist didnt request it.

3-I have the old one from 2017, would it work? Also do I have to have my wife (applicant) name on the tenancy agreement?

4-My wife doesn't work, so we don't share financial responsibilities.

I have her name though on the council bill, do I need to answer the below question as "yes" even though she doesn't pay it

Do you and your partner have any shared financial responsibilities?

Thanks again for your help

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:34 am

Telco123 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 am

I remember I was asked for one when initially applied for my wife spouse visa but the checklist of the FLR(M) application doesn't mention any.

2-If it is required, can you point me in the right direction where it says it is needed as I am worried I answered incorrectly and hence the online checklist didnt request it.

3-I have the old one from 2017, would it work? Also do I have to have my wife (applicant) name on the tenancy agreement?

I have her name though on the council bill, do I need to answer the below question as "yes" even though she doesn't pay it

1. Per E-LTRP.3.4. of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, you have to provide evidence that adequate accommodation is available.

2. If you answered that you rent in the application form, the documents checklist should ask for evidence of monthly housing costs (e.g. rent).

3. Yes, if the agreement is still valid. A letter from your landlord indicating the ongoing nature of the agreement is also probably not a bad idea if you can get one. If your wife's name is not on the agreement, a letter from the landlord giving her permission to occupy the property would be a good idea to prove legal occupation.

4. The answer should be whatever is applicable to your situation, there is not a "right" answer. It could be argued most expenses in a marriage are shared regardless of who pays them, especially if both names are on the bill.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Telco123
Oman

Post by Telco123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm

geoeng wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:34 am
Telco123 wrote:

1. Per E-LTRP.3.4. of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, you have to provide evidence that adequate accommodation is available.

2. If you answered that you rent in the application form, the documents checklist should ask for evidence of monthly housing costs (e.g. rent).

3. Yes, if the agreement is still valid. A letter from your landlord indicating the ongoing nature of the agreement is also probably not a bad idea if you can get one. If your wife's name is not on the agreement, a letter from the landlord giving her permission to occupy the property would be a good idea to prove legal occupation.

4. The answer should be whatever is applicable to your situation, there is not a "right" answer. It could be argued most expenses in a marriage are shared regardless of who pays them, especially if both names are on the bill.
Thanks geoeng, will I need to provide housing inspection report? It is a 2 bed flat we rent privately and just my wife and I live in and have lived there for 2.5 years

Thank you

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Telco123 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm
geoeng wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:34 am
Telco123 wrote:

Thanks geoeng, will I need to provide housing inspection report? It is a 2 bed flat we rent privately and just my wife and I live in and have lived there for 2.5 years

Thank you
No need
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Telco123
Oman

Post by Telco123 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:58 am

I really appreciate all the help with answering my questions. I have got one more question if you don't mind please.

My wife and I got married abroad in April 2017 then she applied for spouse visa which was granted in June 2017 then she moved to live with me in the UK in August 2017.

For the below question I answered "No" and explained she was living with her parents whilst her visa application was being considered for the period between April 2017 and August 2017.

Is this the correct answer?
Or the question refers only to the time since she moved to the UK with me as partner?

"Have you lived with your partner since your marriage or civil partnership?"

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Telco123 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:58 am
For the below question I answered "No" and explained she was living with her parents whilst her visa application was being considered for the period between April 2017 and August 2017.

Or the question refers only to the time since she moved to the UK with me as partner?

Interesting, the question doesn't make clear if it is asking if you have lived apart from your partner at any point since marriage or if you have lived together at any point since marriage. Could answer either way I supposed and just explain it as you have here, when you lived apart and when you have lived together. I'm not sure there is a right answer to this.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Telco123
Oman

Post by Telco123 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks geong. I really appreciate all your help.

Is it possible to get a second opinion from other members in the forum on how to answer this question?

I'd rather keep the application simple and answer "yes" if it is referring to just the period since my spouse lived in the UK to avoid any delays in processing it.

Thanks again
geoeng wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm
Telco123 wrote:

Interesting, the question doesn't make clear if it is asking if you have lived apart from your partner at any point since marriage or if you have lived together at any point since marriage. Could answer either way I supposed and just explain it as you have here, when you lived apart and when you have lived together. I'm not sure there is a right answer to this.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Most people would answer 'yes' if they have lived with their partner even just one day after marriage.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 am

Telco123 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Is it possible to get a second opinion from other members in the forum on how to answer this question?

I'd rather keep the application simple and answer "yes" if it is referring to just the period since my spouse lived in the UK to avoid any delays in processing it.

Thanks again
geoeng wrote:
Telco123 wrote:

You overthink the answer. Yes, you were living together for 2.5 years. You were not living separately in UK and this is what you prove with multiple papers.

Telco123
Oman

Post by Telco123 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:59 am

iwolga wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 am
Telco123 wrote:

Thanks again
geoeng wrote:
Telco123 wrote:

You overthink the answer. Yes, you were living together for 2.5 years. You were not living separately in UK and this is what you prove with multiple papers.

Thanks iwolga and everyone for your help.

I thought I may have been overthinking it but I the question could really do with better wording. Even from the answers on this forum there are a bit of conflicting opinions.

I really appreciate all the help of this amazing forum.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 am

Telco123 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:59 am
iwolga wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 am
Telco123 wrote:

Thanks again
geoeng wrote:

Thanks iwolga and everyone for your help.

I thought I may have been overthinking it but I the question could really do with better wording. Even from the answers on this forum there are a bit of conflicting opinions.

I really appreciate all the help of this amazing forum.
I agree with you on the wording part. There are a few examples of poor or unclear wording in HO forms, unfortunately. It helps to try to understand why they are asking the question. It isn’t for the sake of asking or intruding into your personal life. In this case they want to understand a) will you be attempting to prove co-habitation with supporting papers b) as this is your extension, did you fulfill the requirement of spouse visa

Always keep in mind that your application form is - sort of - a summary, a statement which shall correlate to all other papers that you provide.

Telco123
Oman

FLR(M) declaration questions

Post by Telco123 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi All,

I am in the final stages to prepare to submit the FLR(M) for my wife (applicant).

In the declaration consent questions, are below answers correct?

Is the account with a bank or utility company for which you have supplied information and supporting documentation held jointly by you and other people?

I assume the answer is "no" as bank accounts and bills are not held jointly (only the council tax is held jointly in our name)

Does the account with the bank or utility company for which you have supplied information and supporting documentation relate to another person who is to provide you financial support?

Should this be "yes" or "no". I (the sponsor) provide financial support

Thanks for your help

geoeng
Canada

Re: FLR(M) declaration questions

Post by geoeng » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:53 am

Telco123 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 pm
Is the account with a bank or utility company for which you have supplied information and supporting documentation held jointly by you and other people?

I assume the answer is "no" as bank accounts and bills are not held jointly (only the council tax is held jointly in our name)
That's what I would put as well.
Telco123 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 pm
Does the account with the bank or utility company for which you have supplied information and supporting documentation relate to another person who is to provide you financial support?

Should this be "yes" or "no". I (the sponsor) provide financial support
I would probably put "no" unless there is a third-party ho is providing financial support (generally not permitted for spouse visas).

I believe the questions are just a prompt so they know which declarations of consent to look for. These forms will be provided to download after completing the application and give permission for them to access personal information relating to the supporting evidence provided. As long as the applicant and sponsor both sign the relevant forms, I doubt there would be any issues.

Telco123
Oman

Documents check

Post by Telco123 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:50 pm

We are planning to submit my wife's FLR(M) application on 21 Feb 2020
Her current leave expires on 19th Mar 2020

Please can I double check the following supporting documents are complete?

Thanks again and really appreciate all the help provided

Applicant information:-
Passport (expires Dec 2020)

Husband information:-
British Passport

Financial information:-
6 months bank statement (last statement stamped on 8th Feb)
6 months payslips (August 2019 till January 2020) (last payslip dated 27 January 2020)
Letter from employer dated 6th Feb 2020

Marriage certificate

Tenancy agreement

Cohabitation evidence:-

Joint names
Council bill 6 Nov 17
Council bill 9 Mar 18
Council bill 8 Mar 19

Wife (applicant)
25 Oct 17 NHS letter
27 Feb 18 bank statement
5 June 18 NHS letter
10 Aug 18 bank statement
12 Oct 18 bank statement
20 Nov 18 bank letter
25 March 19 NHS hospital
June 19 Bank letter
9 October NHS letter
12 Dec 19 Bank statement
10 Jan 20 bank statement

Husband (sponsor)
2 June 18 Bank letter
28 Oct 18 Phone bill
28 Aug 19 phone bill

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:58 pm

How about A2 English test/NARIC comparability report? Also the date on both of your cohabitation evidences doesn't match on various occasions which in my opinion shouldn't be an issue because individually addressed letters won't have coincidentally the same dates.

Telco123
Oman

Post by Telco123 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:58 pm
How about A2 English test/NARIC comparability report? Also the date on both of your cohabitation evidences doesn't match on various occasions which in my opinion shouldn't be an issue because individually addressed letters won't have coincidentally the same dates.
Thank you seagul, yes she got recent English B1. Is it better to use online reference number or scanned certificate on the online form?

You got me a bit worried about the date mismatch on the cohabitation. Can other members confirm if they had similar experience and if all ok?

Thanks again

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Telco123 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 pm
Thank you seagul, yes she got recent English B1. Is it better to use online reference number or scanned certificate on the online form?
B1 is fine. Give online ref number & scan the test result as well.
Telco123 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 pm
You got me a bit worried about the date mismatch on the cohabitation.
Didn't you see the other words too that it won't cause any issue because these are from 3 sources covering the last 2 years.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Ideally, if you're submitting 3 documents in joint names, then you only need 6 other documents (3 in each name).

So 1 joint-named document = 2 individual documents (1 for each partner).

And vice versa.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."