ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aures
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

ILR to British Citizenship

Post by aures » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:08 am

I am french and I have been leaving in the UK on a permanent basis since 1998. I was granted settled status (indefinite leave to remain) in October 2019.
Is this correct that I need to wait until October 2020 to apply for British Citizenship despite being here for over 20 years and meeting all the requirements?
thanks for your help :?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ILR to British Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am

aures wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:08 am
I am french and I have been leaving in the UK on a permanent basis since 1998. I was granted settled status (indefinite leave to remain) in October 2019.
Is this correct that I need to wait until October 2020 to apply for British Citizenship despite being here for over 20 years and meeting all the requirements?
thanks for your help :?
Did you never get Permanent Residence under EEA regulations? Do you you have any Home Office documents to confirm that you have permanent residence or no restrictions on your residence, even a stamp in an old passport? If you have any of this you may be able to apply immediately.

If you are applying on the basis of of your Settled Status then you have to wait for 12 months from the date of issue. See also the guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance. Settled Status is granted under UK immigration rules (Appendix EU), not under EU rules.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

aures
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Re: ILR to British Citizenship

Post by aures » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 pm

thank you alterhase58 for your reply. No I never applied for permanent residency as there was no real need for me to apply for this as my right to remain or even come and go if I wanted to was never challenged for all these years... :(