ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying online for UK citizenship; questions about process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

clairebarnesphd
Newly Registered
Canada

Applying online for UK citizenship; questions about process

Post by clairebarnesphd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:25 am

Hello. I am applying for citizenship through my mother, who was born in England. I am applying from North America, so am using the online system for form UKM, and I have some basic procedural questions please.
1. Do I need to mail original passport(-like) photos to my referees, to attach to downloaded referee pages?
2. Do they send their signed forms back to me, or do they mail the forms somewhere themselves?
2b. If they have to mail the forms in, where do I find the relevant address?
3. If they have to return the forms to me, should I be sure to have those forms already back to me before filling in the payment information on-line?
4. Once I have paid, will I be able to submit e-copies, rather than originals, of my documents (birth certificate, etc.)?

The assorted webpages do not have much information on this stage of the application process. I hope that all will become clear once I complete the payment form, but would rather know ahead-of-time.

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Applying online for UK citizenship; questions about process

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:52 am

Yes the photos needs to be on the referee page when they sign and should be returned with the completed form.

Do elaborate more regarding your Mother, was she married to your Father when you were born? Or did they marry afterward or not at all?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

clairebarnesphd
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by clairebarnesphd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:42 pm

She was born and raised in England, where my parents married, before moving to Canada, where I was born.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm

clairebarnesphd wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:42 pm
She was born and raised in England, where my parents married, before moving to Canada, where I was born.
Your parents marriage is irrelevant to your UKM application. The requirement is only that she was born in the UK and could not pass her citizenship on to children born before 1 January 1983.

Presumably your father was not British born??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

clairebarnesphd
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by clairebarnesphd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 am

No, he was Canadian.

clairebarnesphd
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by clairebarnesphd » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 am

Are answers available for my other questions, 3 and 4, please?