ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying an US citizen and ILR???

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Neenu24
Newly Registered
India

Marrying an US citizen and ILR???

Post by Neenu24 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 am

Hi,
I am from India and been in the UK for 4 years. I should be eligible to apply for ILR in Dec2020. My fiance is an US citizen. I would like to stay and continue working in the UK until I am eligible to go live in the US permanently.Would marrying an US citizen affect my application for ILR? Is it wise to postpone the wedding until I get ILR?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Marrying an US citizen and ILR???

Post by zimba » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:23 am

No effect on your ILR.
If you do not have a marriage visitor visa or family visa
You can still give notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership but the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told.

The Home Office might:

ask questions about you and your relationship - if this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership
decide not to approve your notice - if this happens you cannot get married or form a civil partnership in the UK
https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Neenu24
Newly Registered
India

Re: Marrying an US citizen and ILR???

Post by Neenu24 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:26 am

Thankyou for your reply. I just cannot remember where I read that it an be refused if spouse is an US citizen. I know it des not make any sense. Just want to be very sure before deciding anything.