ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born outside Uk to father with Uk citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Klej0055
Newly Registered
Georgia

Born outside Uk to father with Uk citizenship

Post by Klej0055 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello, I want to apply for British citizenship. My father was born in the UK and is a citizen. I was born in 1997 in another country where he was working. My parents officially got married in 2001. Am I eligible for British citizenship and what are the requirments? Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Born outside Uk to father with Uk citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

It would appear you are already British and could apply for a passport:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-br ... 3-and-2006
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:31 am

As you were born abroad and your parents were not married at the time of your birth, you will most likely need to register as a British citizen using Form UKF. The fee is only £80.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:23 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:31 am
As you were born abroad and your parents were not married at the time of your birth, you will most likely need to register as a British citizen using Form UKF. The fee is only £80.
By the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 Section 162(5), Section 47 of the BNA continues to apply for those born before 1st July 2006. Moreover, the parents married before Section 47 'ceased to have effect'. The question is whether the OP's parents marriage legitimated him, and this depends on his father's domicile at the time of marriage. If his father has a foreign domicile birth when the OP was born, it's also conceivable that the OP counts as being born legitimate.

Klej0055
Newly Registered
Georgia

Post by Klej0055 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Hello, thank you for the quick response.
My father was born in the UK. If I understood you correctly, since my father was a citizen and had permanent residency in the UK during the year I was born, then I am able to apply as a British citizen and possibly have citizenship, am I correct?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:00 am

Klej0055 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 pm
If I understood you correctly, since my father was a citizen and had permanent residency in the UK during the year I was born, then I am able to apply as a British citizen and possibly have citizenship, am I correct?
His being domiciled in the UK in 1997 does not help you - it makes you born illegitimate. Where was he domiciled when your parents married? If his permanent home was still in the UK, then you are a British citizen and eligible for a British passport. If his permanent home was elsewhere, it gets complicated.