ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU permanent residence with business

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

youcef410428
Algeria

EU permanent residence with business

Post by youcef410428 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:13 am

Hi

I'm posting for my friend.

He is from Senegal has a Spain permanent residency was married to a British citizen (Now divorced) and hes now common-law partner with an French women (he will get married by the end of the year).

He's question is: can he start he's own business because he want to buy a shop and start doing business with this status (EU permanent resident with partner to an EU citizen).

Regards

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: EU permanent residence with business

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:52 am

Hello

The simple answer is: yes. If someone has an Article 10 EEA card with the right to work, that involves the right to work taken broadly. Either working for a salary as a contractor, permanent... or opening his own business.

Indeed, he can do that only in Spain. European residence for non-EEA nationals doesn't exist. Article 10 cards don't give the right to work in Europe but in the country where they were delivered.

Now, the complex answer: his card might not be valid. He can't also switch EEA partners. He was married to a British. Got an EEA card. Now he is divorced. There are circumstances under which he keeps his EEA card and other circumstances, if the marriage didn't last too long, where the card is not valid after the divorce.

If you get a card due to a relation to an EEA national, you cannot extend it, renew it, keep it valid by jumping to another EEA national.

If he is in a situation where his card is invalid, he has to reapply again. It may involve leaving the country and applying from abroad.

kamoe

Re: EU permanent residence with business

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 pm

The biggest question here is where is your friend intending to stay, live, and start a business? In the UK? In Spain? In France? In another EU country?

That's important since depending on the answer to that, your question could/should be moved to a more relevant section of the forum.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.