ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrender/British passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cats234
Newly Registered

Surrender/British passport

Post by cats234 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:53 am

Hi,

I read on the VFS website, that if I can go ahead and apply for Surrender certificate, if my British pasport is under process. So I went ahead and submitted the "surrender ceritifcate" application form leaving the "foreign passport" space blank and while getting all the documents ready, I was reading about getting the first Biritish passport. They actually ask for the last Indian passport and naturlisation certiifcate originals to be sent. I am not sure how to proceed now.

If I read about getting the British passport page first, I wouldnt have made this mistake!!

* I guess for British passport, I have to submit My indian passport and naturlisation certificate ? When will those documents come back ? Only with the new passport ?
* If I am applying for the passort first, is there any time gap for the surrender certificate application to expire ?
* If it doesnt expire,will my appointent worker add my new passport to the system there and then ? is it allowed ?
* If I decide to go for surrender first, wont they know I havent applied for the passport even though I said its under process since I have the original ( passport + naturlisation) ?
* Which consulate is better - London Goswell or Hounslow ?
* I understand its 1 self addressed envelope for Surrender and 2 for OCI ?

I hope you can help me, thank you.

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Re: Surrender/British passport

Post by apatiluk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 pm

cats234 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:53 am
* I guess for British passport, I have to submit My indian passport and naturlisation certificate ? When will those documents come back ? Only with the new passport ?
You will get the British Passport first by post
The original/supporting documents come later in a different post (ranges from a week to 3 weeks)
cats234 wrote:
* If I am applying for the passort first, is there any time gap for the surrender certificate application to expire ?
The application should be saved online for a period of 90 days or does not expire as long as you have the login credentials.
This is the order we followed and there were no issues:
First get the British Passport
Second apply for surrender certificate
Third apply for OCI
cats234 wrote:
* If it doesnt expire,will my appointent worker add my new passport to the system there and then ? is it allowed ?
* If I decide to go for surrender first, wont they know I havent applied for the passport even though I said its under process since I have the original ( passport + naturlisation) ?
You can add the British passport processing reference number there (i have read it on the VFS site). The VFS mail support team is responsive, you can query them before planning/making a trip.
cats234 wrote:
* Which consulate is better - London Goswell or Hounslow ?
You need to visit the VFS office and not the consulate for surrender certificate / OCI
cats234 wrote:
* I understand its 1 self addressed envelope for Surrender and 2 for OCI ?
Thats correct
Surrender Certificate:
1. Self-addressed hard bind A4 size special delivery

OCI:
1. Self-addressed hard bind A4 size special delivery
2. Self-address special delivery ( which is kind of plastic)
Note: Some VFS offices use DX delivery ( you have to pay them while making an application). Some mentioned they had complaints that posts getting lost, so it is your responsibility, hence we went with their DX delivery service.

Dropping a mail or calling VFS service should clear all your doubts in addition to the above

cats234
Newly Registered

Re: Surrender/British passport

Post by cats234 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time @apatiluk

I rang them and they suggested to apply for the British Passport first, as you said. Then make a new surrender application(same email) as no changes can be done at the appointment. Even though I have already submitted an applicaiton, the new one will take precedence.

You really cant work Surrender and British passport in parallel as mentioned in so many places since you gotta send/show originals, so confusing !!! May be you could have when you applied passport along with Naturalisation.

Anyways all good now, cheers.

I was aksing is there a preference betwen Goswell or Hounslow for OCI ? Do they entertain walkin or is appt a must ?