ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation in the NL

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iwolga

Naturalisation in the NL

Post by iwolga » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Dear experts,

As part of my long-term planning for 2022 :)

I'm non-EU married to Dutch citizen. We live together in UK at the moment. From reading IND website and talking to some newly naturalised Dutchies, I understand that main requirements for the naturalisation in the NL are:

1) 3 years living together as married couple as we live outside of the NL
2) Integration exam
3) living together during application process
4) no criminal records etc

What I don't understand is one of the items in the documents checklist: A valid residence permit or other proof of lawful residence. Am I right in thinking that I don't need to have this one if I apply through exclusion (by being married to Dutch citizen)? Or at the moment of application I need to live in the NL?

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Re: Naturalisation in the NL

Post by ibwe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:41 pm

iwolga wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm

What I don't understand is one of the items in the documents checklist: A valid residence permit or other proof of lawful residence. Am I right in thinking that I don't need to have this one if I apply through exclusion (by being married to Dutch citizen)? Or at the moment of application I need to live in the NL?
I think the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization website makes it clear, "Immediately prior to the naturalisation application, you have a valid residence permit. This is a permanent residence permit or a temporary residence permit with a non-temporary purpose of stay. The residence permit is still valid at the time of the naturalisation ceremony."
Since you live abroad, the next time you are in Netherlands, apply for a temporary permit with a non-temporary purpose. You qualify because you are married to a Dutch national. Once that is done - you are good to proceed.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm

ibwe wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:41 pm
iwolga wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm

I think the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization website makes it clear, "Immediately prior to the naturalisation application, you have a valid residence permit. This is a permanent residence permit or a temporary residence permit with a non-temporary purpose of stay. The residence permit is still valid at the time of the naturalisation ceremony."
Since you live abroad, the next time you are in Netherlands, apply for a temporary permit with a non-temporary purpose. You qualify because you are married to a Dutch national. Once that is done - you are good to proceed.
Hi, thanks for your reply and pointing this out to me. I don't quite see how I qualify for this temporary residence permit with a non-temporary purpose of stay. The only option that is valid for me that I see on IND is:

Stay with a family member, if the family member you are staying with is a Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss citizen. Or, if this family member has a residence permit for a non-temporary purpose of stay.

But a) we don't live in the NL (maximum we visit family\friends for 5-10 days per year b) I'm not quite sure what "stay" in this case means? This somehow sounds that I'm applying for EEA Residency Card and I already (pre-Brexit at least) have for UK. Can I have two?

I do apologize if I ask naive questions, but I just want to understand what exactly we shall do. If moving to the NL at the end of year 3 of our marriage is the only option to get Dutch passport, we will be planning accordingly.

the hurricane

Post by the hurricane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 am

Hi Iwolga,

As a solicitor specialized in the Dutch law, I'd say that your question is legit. First, if you are married to a Dutch national you can apply for the naturalization outside the Netherlands provided you meet naturalisatie requirements ( see below a few example), in other words you do not need to live in the Netherlands at the time when you lodge your application.

1. You are >= 18
2. Be married or registered partnership with a Dutch national for least 3 years
3. No criminal records etc
4. Birth Certificate + marriage certificate / registered partnership certificate

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by ibwe » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 am

the hurricane wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 am
Hi Iwolga,

As a solicitor specialized in the Dutch law, I'd say that your question is legit. First, if you are married to a Dutch national you can apply for the naturalization outside the Netherlands provided you meet naturalisatie requirements ( see below a few example), in other words you do not need to live in the Netherlands at the time when you lodge your application.

1. You are >= 18
4. Birth Certificate + marriage certificate / registered partnership certificate
I believe you are right. After further digging, I found out that you may lodge your application for citizenship in Dutch Consulate where you are residing (UK). Just remember that you will have to pass the Civic Integration Exam. I also suggest that you can call the consulate and ask them in details. Based on experience from the people that I know - the consulate is always willing to help.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:19 am

the hurricane wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 am
Hi Iwolga,

1. You are >= 18
Thank you, Hurricane, for your answer! I'm going to be planning accordingly!
I believe you are right. After further digging, I found out that you may lodge your application for citizenship in Dutch Consulate where you are residing (UK). Just remember that you will have to pass the Civic Integration Exam. I also suggest that you can call the consulate and ask them in details. Based on experience from the people that I know - the consulate is always willing to help.
Thank you, ibwe. I did call the embassy and they confirmed that they are happy for me to apply without valid residency in the NL provided I have residency card in the UK.

I do remember re exam and excelled my Dutch to the level of B1 (still nowhere near my English though but have some time ahead of the application). It is, of course, a funny situation to be passing an integration exam when you actually live outside of the NL.

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by ibwe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Great. I wish you all the best. Do give us an update when you complete the process successfully. Your experience might be useful for others as well.

iwolga

Naturalisation in the NL

Post by iwolga » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Returning to the forum to update on my Dutch Naturalisation process from the UK.

I started the process a year ago by registering to Inburgering exams via the embassy in London. I did tests in 2 parts and by the end of summer I had the results.

On top of that I needed my birth certificate, marriage certificate, proof of co-habitation with my husband for the last 3 years, police certificates for the last 5 years.

I applied with the full package of documents at the very end of October 22, received an invite for ceremony in early March 23 and I now already applied for and received a passport.

Very smooth and straightforward process once you pass exams and get your papers together.