ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR or Citizenship for baby born in UK ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

stickynote
Newly Registered
India

ILR or Citizenship for baby born in UK ?

Post by stickynote » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am

hi all,

My son was born in the UK last year while I was on a Tier 2 General Visa. He is currently on a Tier 2 Dependent visa till Jan 2021.

I will be securing my and my partner's ILR next month after which I can apply for my son's naturalisation/citizenship.

My question is: Given the uncertainty Brexit will bring on the processing times of MN1 applications, is it advisable to secure an ILR for him first and then applying for his citizenship OR given there are at least 10 months before his Tier 2 dependent visa expires, it is simply better to apply for his citizenship directly and if the delays are nearing the end of his Tier 2 Visa, I can raise a request for ILR?

I hope my question is clear.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: ILR or Citizenship for baby born in UK ?

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am

I am not 100% sure for kids, someone else in this forum might know better, but I don't believe you can apply for citizenship if you doesn't have an indefinite leave. You see what I mean? I think the ILR step is not something you can avoid. When eligible, go and apply for it.

Sand6

Post by Sand6 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 am

Hi just want to add that children born in the UK are entitled to register as British citizens once either parent gets the ILR and the children born in the UK are not required to have ILR before registration. I hope experts can help in this too.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:29 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am
I am not 100% sure for kids, someone else in this forum might know better, but I don't believe you can apply for citizenship if you doesn't have an indefinite leave. You see what I mean? I think the ILR step is not something you can avoid. When eligible, go and apply for it.
UK born children do NOT require ILR to register as British once either parent gets ILR.
stickynote wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am
hi all,

My son was born in the UK last year while I was on a Tier 2 General Visa. He is currently on a Tier 2 Dependent visa till Jan 2021.

I will be securing my and my partner's ILR next month after which I can apply for my son's naturalisation/citizenship.

My question is: Given the uncertainty Brexit will bring on the processing times of MN1 applications, is it advisable to secure an ILR for him first and then applying for his citizenship OR given there are at least 10 months before his Tier 2 dependent visa expires, it is simply better to apply for his citizenship directly and if the delays are nearing the end of his Tier 2 Visa, I can raise a request for ILR?

I hope my question is clear.
Brexit affects EU applications and NOt British citizenship!! A UK born child does NOT need ilr or a valid visa to apply for citizenship!! They have an entitlement to register as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stickynote
Newly Registered
India

Post by stickynote » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:09 pm

thanks all for your inputs, very helpful. I will proceed to apply for his citizenship directly.