ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization application after 5 years residence

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BaboiDamo
Greece

Naturalization application after 5 years residence

Post by BaboiDamo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello everybody,

My partner holds a stamp 4 since the 5th of April 2015 ( it became eu fam in July 2015)
This April 2020 she would had a stamp for 5 years and she d like to apply for naturalization.

She has all the requirements and a permanent work contract since 1 and half years.

Would it be possible to start the application in advance? Let s say starting February?
In fairness they will take a decision after April anyway.

(P.S. the stamp 4 eu fam expires in July 2020, would she get a letter for an extension after submitting the application for the naturalization?)

Thank you all in advance,

B.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Naturalization application after 5 years residence

Post by littlerr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:45 pm

You can start to gather all documents early, but the application MUST be signed by the applicant and the witness (usually a solicitor) when the 5-year requirement has been met. The application date will be filled in by the witness on that day.

I’ve seen certain immigration solicitors saying that they can help you submit applications a few months in advance. That’s simply not true. They will just keep your application under their desk until 5 years have passed.

I got all of my documents ready a few months in advance, and booked an appointment with a solicitor to have a cup of coffee on my 5 years’ mark. On that day, he signed the application (and certified my birth certificate etc), and I put everything in the envelope and posted it right away.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:45 pm
You can start to gather all documents early, but the application MUST be signed by the applicant and the witness (usually a solicitor) when the 5-year requirement has been met. The application date will be filled in by the witness on that day.

I’ve seen certain immigration solicitors saying that they can help you submit applications a few months in advance. That’s simply not true. They will just keep your application under their desk until 5 years have passed.

I got all of my documents ready a few months in advance, and booked an appointment with a solicitor to have a cup of coffee on my 5 years’ mark. On that day, he signed the application (and certified my birth certificate etc), and I put everything in the envelope and posted it right away.
thank you so much for your reply, I believe we will do it with the CASS.
I am just wondering now, her parents are already naturalized Irish for many years now, would it make any difference?

Thanks again

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:30 pm

She can apply for citizenship based on Irish Associations. This would reduce the requirement to 3 years. However, it will be up to the minister to decide whether the 'association' is strong enough.

Since it's just 3 more months till April, I would strongly recommend that she applies based on her own merit. This makes things a lot more easier. She could still mention her Irish association to her parents in the application.

I won't comment on any paid services. It is against the forum policy.

However, I must say that the application is very easy to organise if you do it early enough. I don't see any specific reason to engage a paid service to do those preparations for you (and they will still ask you to gather all the documents anyway).

It took me a few hours to dig out my old bills, bank statements, write a few emails to ask for some letters from my employer/landlord etc, do a photocopy of all the required documents, and finally sort them in a proper order. That's everything I need. The application form itself is rather straightforward to complete if you spend a few minutes reading through all guideline pages.

mmsa
Mood:

Post by mmsa » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:02 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:30 pm
She can apply for citizenship based on Irish Associations. This would reduce the requirement to 3 years. However, it will be up to the minister to decide whether the 'association' is strong enough.

Since it's just 3 more months till April, I would strongly recommend that she applies based on her own merit. This makes things a lot more easier. She could still mention her Irish association to her parents in the application.

However, I must say that the application is very easy to organise if you do it early enough. I don't see any specific reason to engage a paid service to do those preparations for you (and they will still ask you to gather all the documents anyway).

It took me a few hours to dig out my old bills, bank statements, write a few emails to ask for some letters from my employer/landlord etc, do a photocopy of all the required documents, and finally sort them in a proper order. That's everything I need. The application form itself is rather straightforward to complete if you spend a few minutes reading through all guideline pages.
Can you expand on this based on own merits idea.

Im a naturalised Irish Citizen (not born here), my wife is on an EUFAM and has his 5 years. Id like your advise on whether to apply based on irish association or 5 years EUFAM?

Iv also been told that EUFAM applications for naturalisation tend to take longer, which is why Im swaying toward the Irish association route, plus 3 years documents doesn't sound as bad a gathering 5 years.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 am

Email citizenship department and ask if she can apply based on 3-year marriage to an Irish person even though she is on 4EUFAM. That’s surely the quickest way.

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:01 am

littlerr wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks very much again for your reply,

I have already gathered all the documents actually, including the 3 proofs of address for every year of residence.
Only one more note, when you say the application should be signed by a witness ( a solicitor ) should I make contact with a solicitor for having it signed in their presence?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Yes the last few pages of the application are required to be signed by a witness. A few copies such as the birth certificate also need to be certified by the witness.
The witness can be a solicitor, a peace commissioner or a commissioner for Oaths. Most people just go for a solicitor because there are a lot of them in the country. The cheapest one I found charged me 20 euro but require 2 weeks notice, and the most expensive one charged me 65 euro but allowed me to walk in on a Saturday night.

nanabeltranfab
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by nanabeltranfab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 am

Hi would u know how long would it take for them to send your passport back after sending your application. TIA

BaboiDamo
Greece

Post by BaboiDamo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:13 am

littlerr wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:07 pm
Yes the last few pages of the application are required to be signed by a witness. A few copies such as the birth certificate also need to be certified by the witness.
The witness can be a solicitor, a peace commissioner or a commissioner for Oaths. Most people just go for a solicitor because there are a lot of them in the country. The cheapest one I found charged me 20 euro but require 2 weeks notice, and the most expensive one charged me 65 euro but allowed me to walk in on a Saturday night.
Thank you very much, you ve been very kind :)