ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African passport “renewal”

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dreid82
Newly Registered
Mood:

South African passport “renewal”

Post by dreid82 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I naturalised as a British citizen back in 2005.

I followed all the rules and obtained the relevant permisssions from SAHC to hold dual South African / British citizenship.

My SA passport has long since expired, and I’ve not travelled to South Africa since 2007, which was on my SA passport.

I seem to remember that there is a requirement for me to enter and leave SA with my SA passport.

Is this still the case?
What will happen if I try using my British passport?

As I still hold SA citizenship, it should be relatively simple to apply for a passport, but there may be a need for me to travel before I can get a new SA passport. The sahc website states 6months turnaround.
(My mom is getting on in years and is about to go into a care home as she is too frail to live alone, so I’m facing the reality that I could need to travel over urgently)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: South African passport “renewal”

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:12 am

I seem to remember that there is a requirement for me to enter and leave SA with my SA passport.

Is this still the case?
Yes it is still the case as it is stated in the legislation, so it is a law not an "option".
What will happen if I try using my British passport?
Maybe nothing, maybe a reprimand and immigration being difficult or refusing entry/departure. Many have used British pasaport, and had no issues. If you have proof you have at least applied for your SA passport and evidence of your mother's situation, it will likely help and be ok.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dreid82
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by dreid82 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for the fast reply!

There’s a lot of maybes in there 😂

I totally understand. I guess it depends on the immigration officer at passport control.

Do you know if they can tell by scanning the UK passport at immigration that one holds dual?

I’ll be submitting my application within the next couple weeks once all the forms have come.

I’ve seen some of the forms are not downloadable from SAHC, but a simple google and I’ve seen that the SAHC in New York does have them available for download. Would this be an option, or do they only accept original copies?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:24 am

There’s a lot of maybes in there 😂

I totally understand. I guess it depends on the immigration officer at passport control.
In 2008, we almost missed our flight as my ex husband tried to leave on his British passport and a heated argument with immigration. Note we see leaving for good. His brother seems to get away with it every time using only his British passport. Everyone else I know, does it correctly, my daughter included. I don't need to as I have up my SA citizenship and travel with a letter issued by Home Affairs that I am permitted to travel on my British passport and have the right to PR in SA as I was born there. I get asked for the letter every single time when leaving Joburg airport.
Do you know if they can tell by scanning the UK passport at immigration that one holds dual?
Not necessarily but your passport clearly states where you were born, which is the clue to either asking for the letter or the SA passport.

I’ve seen some of the forms are not downloadable from SAHC, but a simple google and I’ve seen that the SAHC in New York does have them available for download. Would this be an option, or do they only accept original copies?
No idea. Everyone I have done a passport renewal for my daughter, I go into the office and pick up the forms. My ex husband who did eventually apply for one, filled the forms in there and then applied.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.