ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Victim of marriage fraud

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

saragullu
Newly Registered

Victim of marriage fraud

Post by saragullu » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 am

Hi All

Just looking for some advice for my brother.

So he is British national. He married in 2016 and later that year his wife joined him here in the UK (she is a Pakistani).

From day one her behaviour was strange but my brother gave her time to adjust etc but things took a turn for the worse and within 10 months they separated in Sept 2017.

My brother advised the home office of the relationship breaking down.

She used him to come to this country and she filed for divorce and claimed she was abused so through the domestic abuse route she now has a visa. Just last week she got married in Pakistan to her lover and will bring him to the UK.

What should he do?
He has been a victin of marriage fraud.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Victim of marriage fraud

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:56 am

Hello

You can't do anything really.

A divorce was pronounced. The wife was allowed to stay in the UK because she demonstrated that she was abused by her husband.

Now, she has a residence that is totally independent from her husband. She has the right to marry.

I understand that from the social point of view, you are not happy with the situation and I totally see your point. But as far as immigration is concerned, there is nothing you can do.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:58 am

She used him to come to this country and she filed for divorce and claimed she was abused so through the domestic abuse route she now has a visa. Just last week she got married in Pakistan to her lover and will bring him to the UK.
If she only has a limited leave to remain visa for 2.5 years and not ILR, she cannot sponsor a spouse to the UK. She can only do that if she holds indefinite leave to remain and meets all the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saragullu
Newly Registered

Post by saragullu » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:04 pm

I see.

I am guessing she has Further leave to remain as she has only been in the UK for 3 years and 3 months.

Is this right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Not necessarily no. If she had substantial evidence of domestic violence or abuse (emotional, financial, mental or physical) should mk Iggy have applied and been granted indefinite leave to remain as a domestic violence victim. She could then sponsor a new spouse.

If she only got a 2.5 year FLR FP visa, then she cannot sponsor a spouse.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm

I have seen such incidences happened where only nikkah has been performed where you get legally the marriage certificate for visa purposes but other ceremonies/celebration /bride departure from her or parents home is planned the after visa. Mostly such practices/arrangements are a scam and must not be followed as usually a genuine marriage never have a condition including visa grant. Also that only happens where there is an arranged marriage.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.