ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does any PGCE program qualify for Tier 4?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LondonDPO
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Does any PGCE program qualify for Tier 4?

Post by LondonDPO » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm

I see that completing a PGCE allows one to switch to a Tier 2 General visa but I am not seeing exactly where a PGCE qualifies one for a Tier 4 visa.

Can someone point me to where this is shown in the guidance or website? Is it because all PGCE's are level 6 on the OFQUAL register? I can't find any PGCEs in the register online myself.

Thank you in advance!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Does any PGCE program qualify for Tier 4?

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 am

LondonDPO wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm
I see that completing a PGCE allows one to switch to a Tier 2 General visa
Where are you seeing that? The immigration rules are clear that a PGCE in itself would not be sufficient for such a switch. See paragraph 245HD(d)(i)(1) of part 6 of the immigration rules:

The applicant must have completed, or be applying no more than 3 months before the expected completion date for, a course leading to a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree (not a qualification of equivalent level which is not a degree),

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... sed-system
LondonDPO wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm
... I am not seeing exactly where a PGCE qualifies one for a Tier 4 visa. Can someone point me to where this is shown in the guidance or website? Is it because all PGCE's are level 6 on the OFQUAL register?
Yes, although I believe they are level 7.

I think you are conflating two different matters: whether a course is eligible for Tier 4, and whether a course permits a switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2. For an employer to issue a CoS for the latter, it must be "a course leading to a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree". This can include such a course that you studied before the PGCE during a continuous series of visas.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

LondonDPO
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by LondonDPO » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am

The PGCE is mentioned in the next section.

245HD(d)(i)(2) of part 6 of the immigration rules: "(2) have completed, or be applying no more than 3 months before the expected completion date for a course leading to a UK Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education (not a qualification of equivalent level), or"

I am conflating two ideas, yes, because it wouldn't make sense if one could switch from a Tier 4 by completing a PGCE, but studying for a PGCE did not qualify one for a Tier 4 visa. But thank you for clarifying that PGCEs are Level 7 and thus qualify!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:49 pm

LondonDPO wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am
The PGCE is mentioned in the next section.
You are right, thanks for clarification. Yes, it is a separate matter from being eligible for Tier 4, but the two parts do agree after all.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.