ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not being able to get through to council

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

halfpint91
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Not being able to get through to council

Post by halfpint91 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:43 am

Hiya, I got my approval yesterday morning (so happy!) and I've tried to phone my local council (Edinburgh) to book a ceremony using the phone number provided. However noone is picking up and I get a recording saying to leave my details and someone would call back. I did leave my details but noone phoned back, I did the same this morning. I've tried phoning 6 times at this point. Has this happened to anyone? Is this normal?? What can I do if I can't get through to them?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Not being able to get through to council

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

halfpint91
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by halfpint91 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:58 pm

That doesn't seem to be the same place as stated in my letter.

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/births-mar ... -service/2

This is the phone number I'm given and there's no email provided :(

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm

OK was thinking of the county council - you just have to persist, maybe the invitation letters are in progress....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

halfpint91
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by halfpint91 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm

Still no one has phoned me back, I've left two messages. I went to the council in person and I was told that no one picks up the phone and on certain days of the week someone goes through the messages and phones people back. They also said they can't do anything in person and they also said not to worry about the 21 day thing, but I don't trust them, if it's stated in the letter that's for a reason.

What are my options? The letter was dated 17th of january so that's 11 days out of the 21, only 8 working days left till the 21st day.

Am I worried over nothing?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:17 pm

halfpint91 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm
Still no one has phoned me back, I've left two messages. I went to the council in person and I was told that no one picks up the phone and on certain days of the week someone goes through the messages and phones people back. They also said they can't do anything in person and they also said not to worry about the 21 day thing, but I don't trust them, if it's stated in the letter that's for a reason.

What are my options? The letter was dated 17th of january so that's 11 days out of the 21, only 8 working days left till the 21st day.

Am I worried over nothing?
No need to worry. You will be contacted as you have been told. However, I have to say that their arrangement is poor. Are they understaffed?
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

halfpint91
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by halfpint91 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:37 am

Update in case someone ends up in a similar situation, i ended up going around by mailing a complaint to the council, which then got redirected to the appropriate team and got booked in less than 24 hours after I sent that. Not an ideal a situation but it has been resolved now.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Oh, those Scots..
I was in similar situation in November, spent several hours before was able to reach Glasgow council..