ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship for child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

balasaheb
Newly Registered
Western Sahara

citizenship for child

Post by balasaheb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:51 pm

This is on behalf of a friend.
He has a 16 year old son born in India who lives with his wife. Neither has ever visited or lived in the UK. He has now naturalized and wants to get his son British nationality.
Can he register the child using MN1? I was told the wife also has to apply for British citizenship inorder for the child to register but she has never been here so kindly give me some information about possibilities

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: citizenship for child

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:19 pm

Can he register the child using MN1?
No he can't as the father became British after the child was born. The child has no entitlement to register as British because the father is British now.
I was told the wife also has to apply for British citizenship inorder for the child to register but she has never been here so kindly give me some information about possibilities
There is no such route for the spouse or child if they have not been resident in the UK AND both hold infinite leave to remain. Whoever told you there is some magical shortcut is wrong.

They would both have to apply for spouse/settlement visas and live in the UK and wait 5 years, 2 X 2.5 year visas, before they apply for indefinite leave to remain before they can apply for British citizenship
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

balasaheb
Newly Registered
Western Sahara

Post by balasaheb » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Thank you CR.
Can he apply only for his son's settlement visa and bring him here without the mother also coming to settle in the UK. She is illiterate and would never pass A1 language test.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:18 pm

balasaheb wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 pm
Thank you CR.
Can he apply only for his son's settlement visa and bring him here without the mother also coming to settle in the UK. She is illiterate and would never pass A1 language test.
No. Child will qualify to come on a visa when the mother does. For a child to qualify without the other parent for a visa, the UK based parent must prove with official documents that they have sole responsibility. He doesn't have sole responsibility.

A1 test is not a written test. It is speaking and listening.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.