ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nonmarried Partner Visa and Medication

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ktheg
Newly Registered
United States of America

Nonmarried Partner Visa and Medication

Post by ktheg » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:50 am

Hello,
I am potentially moving to England as an American. I take antidepressant medication. Will I be able to get my medication here? Do I do it through NHS?

Amber
Mood:

Re: Nonmarried Partner Visa and Medication

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:41 am

I assume this moving is on a route to settlement, as a partner, if so, you’ll pay an immigration health surcharge to use the NHS, you will register with a family doctor (GP) when you arrive, who will be able to prescribe you medication if required. You will then pay for the medication, the cost of a single prescription is £9, medication is prescribed, as a rule, on a 28 day basis.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ktheg
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ktheg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 am

amber, thank you so much!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Just to clarify, you are not using “England” as shorthand for “the UK”, are you? Because prescription costs vary between the three nations of the UK. They are free in Wales and Scotland (and possibly Northern Ireland), but there is a flat 9 charge per prescription in England, as mentioned by @Amber above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.