ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Passport Question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ShihTzuMum
Newly Registered

Citizenship Passport Question

Post by ShihTzuMum » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi

Newbie here, so go gently!

I am a UK National married to an Irishman and have lived in Ireland for the past 12 years. I'm now thinking of applying for Irish citizenship, (Qaulified on both residence and marriage grounds) but have a couple of questions:

I know I will have to send my passport with the initial application. Does anyone know how long the passport will be retained for before it's returned to me?

And how will it be returned? I'm nervous about sending such an important document via ordinary post and wondered if there was a way it could be returned either by registered post or by courier if I pay the costs?

Once the paperwork's in hand and the passport safely back in my possession, I'm not too worried about the length of time taken to approve the application!

TIA for any help :)

ibsp
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Passport Question

Post by ibsp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:37 pm

My passport came back a week after I submitted it. That was in August 2019, and other people since then have been reporting similar turnaround times.

I sent the passport by registered post along with the rest of my documents, and it came back registered post as well (at least I'm pretty sure I had to sign for it).

South African spouse
South Africa

Post by South African spouse » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:47 pm

ShihTzuMum wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:45 pm
Hi

Newbie here, so go gently!

I am a UK National married to an Irishman and have lived in Ireland for the past 12 years. I'm now thinking of applying for Irish citizenship, (Qaulified on both residence and marriage grounds) but have a couple of questions:

I know I will have to send my passport with the initial application. Does anyone know how long the passport will be retained for before it's returned to me?

And how will it be returned? I'm nervous about sending such an important document via ordinary post and wondered if there was a way it could be returned either by registered post or by courier if I pay the costs?

Once the paperwork's in hand and the passport safely back in my possession, I'm not too worried about the length of time taken to approve the application!

TIA for any help :)
I applied in february 19th through an post register post it took them about 14 weeks to send it back to me it wasnt through registered post I received it back it was just normal post

atc
Newly Registered

Post by atc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Sometimes they keep hold of it for some weeks.
They will send your passport back to you though if you request it. They may however request that you send it back to them when they send it back to you or at a later stage.

Mine was sent back to me in registered post if I remember correctly.