ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling abroad immediately after citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mpitillo
Brazil

Travelling abroad immediately after citizenship ceremony

Post by mpitillo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:41 am

Hello everyone,

I am attending my citizenship ceremony two weeks from now, where I understand that after the ceremony I will have to torn apart and return my BRP (ILR) card back to the Home Office within 5 days from it. My plan is to apply for my first British passport right after that.

However, it is most likely that I will have to go for an important international business trip a couple of weeks after I have applied for the passport, which it means that I will not have either my first British passport, neither my BRP Card by then.

My questions are:
  • Is there a way that I could still travel internationally and return to England using my foreign (Brazilian) passport and carry on going to work while waiting for the new passport?
  • On return, are there any official document/certificate that I could provide at the UK immigration border to show that I am "now" a citizen, but waiting for my British Passport?
  • Or could I perhaps just return to England as a "tourist", given that Brazilians don't need a visa to visit the country for a couple of months?
I'm just wondering what my options are, or even if there are any? Of course I want to do this in the correct way.

Thank you so much for your time!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Travelling abroad immediately after citizenship ceremony

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am

Hello

As Brazilians don't need a visa to enter the UK, you can go to your trip and return on your Brazilian passport. If you fear any question at the border, take a copy of your citizenship certificate.

Actually, the fact that you are British doesn't prohibit you from using any other citizenship you may have.

I have a British passport but sometimes I travel in and out the UK on a foreign passport (visa free) so no question asked, issue or anything.

There would have been a problem if Brazilians needed a visa to the UK. But as long as the visa is not needed, you can travel on your other passport.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:55 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am
Hello

As Brazilians don't need a visa to enter the UK, you can go to your trip and return on your Brazilian passport. If you fear any question at the border, take a copy of your citizenship certificate.

Actually, the fact that you are British doesn't prohibit you from using any other citizenship you may have.

I have a British passport but sometimes I travel in and out the UK on a foreign passport (visa free) so no question asked, issue or anything.

There would have been a problem if Brazilians needed a visa to the UK. But as long as the visa is not needed, you can travel on your other passport.
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I think my main question now is what should I say in the border, when I come in? Because even though Brazilians don't require a Visa to enter the country, they only do so as a tourist. The immigration officer would ask me how long I was planning to stay in the UK for (as a tourist), and I don't want to lie. My plan is to return and carry on with my business/work etc, waiting for my passport to arrive.

In that case I would have to explain the whole story, maybe showing the citizenship certificate as well? But again, not sure if this is the right way to do so and if I would have any problems?

Thanks again!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am

You tell him the truth. You are British but your passport is not ready at the moment. Show the certificate. He will check on his computer and let you go.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:33 pm

You should be able to get a passport in two weeks. If you are organised and send off all paperwork on the day or the ceremony you should be safe.

Otherwise you have to wait to apply until you return as you need to send your certificate and current passport.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 pm

hermanthegerman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:33 pm
You should be able to get a passport in two weeks. If you are organised and send off all paperwork on the day or the ceremony you should be safe.

Otherwise you have to wait to apply until you return as you need to send your certificate and current passport.
Isn't the current waiting time for first passport 6 weeks? I'm glad to hear that it could be down to 2 weeks tho.

My understanding is that the current passport and the certificate are returned in a separate mail before the new British passport. Isn't that the case? I read that this first return usually take 7-10 days?

I also had the impression that I might be able to provide my previous passport (not the current), which contained the info about my work visa and my first entry in the UK. But I will try to confirm online if that's the case.

Thank you!

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:38 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am
You tell him the truth. You are British but your passport is not ready at the moment. Show the certificate. He will check on his computer and let you go.
Thanks! That's great news.

I will try to look into more info about this online, as I am unsure if I can only use the Brazilian passport to enter England, if I have a flight ticket booked to show my way back (since at the moment you can only enter as a tourist, if using a Brazilian passport). Cheers.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:44 pm

If you look into the passport thread in this forum you will get a sense of times. It appears to be 10-14 days in total.

The current passport and certificate are returned in separate mail but usually the day before or the day after your passport arrives.

I think you need to send them the passport you arrives in the country with and all uncanceled passports, so also your current one.

mpitillo
Brazil

1st Adult Passport application immediately after ceremony AND confirming requirements

Post by mpitillo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the answers! This has helped me greatly! I do have a few more questions and was hoping that I could use this same thread (rename it) to ask this around...

My current plan is that as soon as I come out from my citizenship ceremony, I was planning to apply for the passport online and go to the post office to mail my supporting documents all in the same afternoon. However, it came to my attention that I have to wait for the HM Passport Office to email my colleague, so he can confirm my identity first, and only then I will get an e-mail, telling me where to mail my documents to. Based on this - and in the requirement of having someone to confirm my identity - I have the following questions:
  • How long does it usually take between completing the application online, and receiving both e-mails from the HM Passport Office (one to the person confirming my identity and the other one with instructions to mail the documents to them)? Realistically, how likely is that I can do all that in the same afternoon, if I take half day off from work?
  • From the list of documents that I need to mail, it is mentioned that I need to provide "the passport you used to come into the UK OR the foreign passport you’re included on". I have an old (cancelled) passport where I got my British work visa issued into, and I have my most recent passport that I use for travels abroad and have used for my ILR/Naturalisation applications. Should I provide both passports when sending it to them or just the most recent one?
  • Under the list of "recognised professions" to confirm my identity, there is "director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company". Would a "Video Game Director" be considered as part of this? I would imagine so, right?
Thanks again for your time!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm

How long does it usually take between completing the application online, and receiving both e-mails from the HM Passport Office (one to the person confirming my identity and the other one with instructions to mail the documents to them)? Realistically, how likely is that I can do all that in the same afternoon, if I take half day off from work?
Realistically - unlikely in my view - not even for the paper application - it's important to get this right so rushing is not a good idea.
From the list of documents that I need to mail, it is mentioned that I need to provide "the passport you used to come into the UK OR the foreign passport you’re included on". I have an old (cancelled) passport where I got my British work visa issued into, and I have my most recent passport that I use for travels abroad and have used for my ILR/Naturalisation applications. Should I provide both passports when sending it to them or just the most recent one?
Requirement is to provide all current and un-cancelled passport - a cancelled passport normally has corners cut off or hole-punched and stamped cancelled every page.
Under the list of "recognised professions" to confirm my identity, there is "director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company". Would a "Video Game Director" be considered as part of this? I would imagine so, right?
if this is the same as a film director then no - unless they are in charge/authority of a company or qualified/member of a professional body, such as accountancy, law, architects, etc .
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:24 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm
How long does it usually take between completing the application online, and receiving both e-mails from the HM Passport Office (one to the person confirming my identity and the other one with instructions to mail the documents to them)? Realistically, how likely is that I can do all that in the same afternoon, if I take half day off from work?
Realistically - unlikely in my view - not even for the paper application - it's important to get this right so rushing is not a good idea.
From the list of documents that I need to mail, it is mentioned that I need to provide "the passport you used to come into the UK OR the foreign passport you’re included on". I have an old (cancelled) passport where I got my British work visa issued into, and I have my most recent passport that I use for travels abroad and have used for my ILR/Naturalisation applications. Should I provide both passports when sending it to them or just the most recent one?
Requirement is to provide all current and un-cancelled passport - a cancelled passport normally has corners cut off or hole-punched and stamped cancelled every page.
Under the list of "recognised professions" to confirm my identity, there is "director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company". Would a "Video Game Director" be considered as part of this? I would imagine so, right?
if this is the same as a film director then no - unless they are in charge/authority of a company or qualified/member of a professional body, such as accountancy, law, architects, etc .
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

The Game Director is responsible for the team under him, from line management to creative direction to our projects. That's probably different than the Film Director, right?

Is the e-mails from HM Passport Office automatic messages, or does someone have to type it, wait to get a confirmation and then type it again back to the applicant? (I'm trying to understand how long it takes within each step, to decide if I do take the day off or not).

Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm

The system for passport referee has changed since I did my online application but I understand you provide the details of the referee including their email address and they will get in touch directly - good idea to tell referee beforehand.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Sand6

Post by Sand6 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Just want to add my recent experience of passport here, you can do all this in the same afternoon when you will the application online and add the referee details they send the email straight away, it’s not like you need to wait same time you recieve the confirmation that email send to referee aNd if they do it straight away you can send the documents right after. It’s quite quick process if you organise every thing in hand and do it same day I got my passport in nearly 8 days.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm

That's really great news, Sand6 and alterhase58! Thanks for clarifying it! I will definitely take the afternoon off to make sure that I can have it all done in the same day! Cheers.

Now the only remaining question I have is if a "Game Director" applies as a "recognised professions" under the "director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company" category.