ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of BRP but passport office needs to see it!!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Andy12
Mood:
India

Return of BRP but passport office needs to see it!!

Post by Andy12 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Hello all,

I have recently completed the ceremony for obtaining the British citizenship and understand that I need to return my ILR BRP within 5 days of having this ceremony/receiving the naturalisation certificate.

Now, I have been reading some of the threads such as

1. british-citizenship/important-return-br ... 00820.html

and

2. british-citizenship/return-my-brp-withi ... l#p1600581

There seems to be various different scenarios where HMPO asks for this BRP. I am going to apply for my first adult UK passport this week so getting really confused on whether to return my BRP or not. I don't have a baby yet but planning for it, so in the near future when they arrive, will my ILR BRP be required? what's the official guidance and recommendation from experienced members, please?

Thank you all for your time!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Return of BRP but passport office needs to see it!!

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 pm

They only ask for the brp if a child was born after you got ilr but before you became a British citizen. If you have no children, then it clearly doesn't apply to you as you are now British and any children you have will be automatically British.

You need to send your brp back, HMPO won't ask you for it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Andy12
Mood:
India

Re: Return of BRP but passport office needs to see it!!

Post by Andy12 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 pm
They only ask for the brp if a child was born after you got ilr but before you became a British citizen. If you have no children, then it clearly doesn't apply to you as you are now British and any children you have will be automatically British.

You need to send your brp back, HMPO won't ask you for it.

Ah thank you for the clarification, CR001, much appreciated. I am gonna use the Document Certification Service by Post Office (as I need some other documents certified too) to certify my ILR BRP just in case. But I totally get it, this is not required for my scenario. Have a great Sunday evening.