ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in Another Country While Writing Dissertation

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jashbgreke
Newly Registered
United States of America

Working in Another Country While Writing Dissertation

Post by jashbgreke » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm in a weird situation and I thought maybe you could advise. Currently I'm on a Tier IV visa in my final year of university and am writing my bachelors dissertation which I will hand in at the beginning of May. And according to my CAS my course ends at the end of June with a graduation date in the middle of July.

I have been offered a contract to beginning working in Germany in the middle of April, about 3 weeks before I hand in my dissertation, although I intend to hand it in early. I'm a bit worried that if I apply for a German visa and leave the country before the course end date will threaten my status as a UK resident. I don't intend to apply for a UK work visa after, I just don't want to risk losing my Tier IV status and then not get my diploma. Can anybody please help? Thanks so much in advance.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Working in Another Country While Writing Dissertation

Post by sah10406 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:26 am

jashbgreke wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:58 pm
I'm a bit worried that if I apply for a German visa and leave the country before the course end date will threaten my status as a UK resident. I don't intend to apply for a UK work visa after, I just don't want to risk losing my Tier IV status and then not get my diploma.
Applying for another country's visa or staying in another country has no bearing on your UK visa. The only thing to check is whether your university has any expected "contacts" with you during the period you are away. Even if they do, this is highly likely to be acceptable by phone or email.

For any concerns about returning to the UK on extant Tier 4 leave, see paragraphs 273-275 of the Tier 4 policy guidance for reassurance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -4-student
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.