ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching Visas While In the UK

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

edjloy
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Switching Visas While In the UK

Post by edjloy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 pm

For context: My course is less than 6 months and I can apply for a short-term study visa on arrival in the UK.

I plan to apply for a T4 visa while still in my home country but travel to the UK before I get the results on my application as the course starts before I'm supposed to get my results, worst and best case scenario included. I will, of course, be applying for a STSV visa to enter the UK.

I want a T4 visa because I plan on going on a course higher than this level after and don't plan on leaving the UK while applying. I've tried finding answers to the question I have but I think my phrasing may be off so if you know of similar cases, please direct me there or give your best advice.

Thanks in advance.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Switching Visas While In the UK

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm

You can't switch to Tier 4 within the UK. You have to go back home and apply from there.

You need a CAS from the school, show maintenance funds, proof en English language... and demonstrate that you are a genuine student.

edjloy
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by edjloy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I think we may have the word "switching" confused. I don't mean the the UKVI's definition of switching, rather I mean entering the UK with one visa and remaining with another.

I will be applying from my home country BUT I will be leaving before my application is ultimately done and will be entering the UK with a STSV. I plan to be waiting to hear on my visa results in the UK. Additionally, I am aware of all the requirements I have to fulfil.

edjloy
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by edjloy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm
You can't switch to Tier 4 within the UK. You have to go back home and apply from there.

You need a CAS from the school, show maintenance funds, proof en English language... and demonstrate that you are a genuine student.
Thanks for the reply!

I think we may have the word "switching" confused. I don't mean the the UKVI's definition of switching, rather I mean entering the UK with one visa and remaining with another.

I will be applying from my home country BUT I will be leaving before my application is ultimately done and will be entering the UK with a STSV. I plan to be waiting to hear on my visa results in the UK. Additionally, I am aware of all the requirements I have to fulfil.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:10 pm

You still need to return to the country you applied, assuming you have the option to keep your passport, to have the tier 4 visa issued and stamped on your on your passport.

You then have to enter the UK from the valid from date on the 30 day visa vignette for tier 4 to get it stamped as you need to present the passport etc when collecting your brp card.

Note also that trying to enter the UK with a visitor visa while an application for another visa is pending, could be problematic as the IO will see you have a pending application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.