ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU and British dual nationality implication to non-EEA family member

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

isidore91
Newly Registered
France

Post by isidore91 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:07 pm

HI

A)

I got a settled status (french citizen) and my wife has a pre-settled status (pakistani national).
  • What are the implications for my wife if I apply for British citizenship (dual french/british) ?
    - Will she still be allowed to live in UK with her presettled status if i become british? (if no, what to do?)
    - After the 5 years, what route does she need to apply ?
    settled status as spouse of EEA as i will still have french citizenship
    or an indefinite leave to remain as i will have a british citizenship (5 years? 10 years? don't know how that works)?

details :
i got my eea permanent residece in feb 2016
got married later on and wife came in UK with eea Family Permit visa in may 2018
now in 2020 I have settled status for me and presettled status for her

Could you please let me know an answer as i'm keen to apply for citizenship rather soon than later.
could you please let me know what would be the best way ?

B)
by the way
I got a EEA permanent residence card (blue) from Feb 2016 and i have been working continuously in UK.
- Is that still valid in 2020 to justify I can live in UK? or it's no longer valid since the settled status?

C) Ultimately i would my wife to have british citizenship.
I found the following
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse
Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen
it says "have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application" so can she apply for citizenship from May 2021 ? does she she first need the settled status?

I think i might need to wait for her to have the settled status FIRST, THEN ONLY i can apply for citizenship, and THEN ONLY she can apply for citizenship

thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EU and British dual nationality implication to non-EEA family member

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:27 pm

C) Ultimately i would my wife to have british citizenship.
I found the following
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse
Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen
it says "have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application" so can she apply for citizenship from May 2021 ? does she she first need the settled status?
- Suggest you review the full set of guidance for naturalisation: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
- Any applicant needs to be "free of immigration time restrictions", i.e. needs ILR/Settled Status and if you are a British citizen by then she could apply immediately, otherwise would have to wait one year from grant date. Settled Status is granted after five years residency.

I leave it to other members to comment on your points A and B.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:44 pm

B)
by the way
I got a EEA permanent residence card (blue) from Feb 2016 and i have been working continuously in UK.
- Is that still valid in 2020 to justify I can live in UK? or it's no longer valid since the settled status?
That blue card is valid. You can use it to apply for British citizenship.

isidore91
Newly Registered
France

Post by isidore91 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 am

hi

Could anyone comment on point A and B please ?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:00 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.