ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Northern Irish Father, can I claim Irish Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Aeron
Newly Registered

Northern Irish Father, can I claim Irish Citizenship

Post by Aeron » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:28 am

I have come here because any Google search or attempt for me to find any sort of answer hasn't been completely cut or dry. My father was born in Belfast in 1950. As such he had a right to claim and Irish Passport and or a British one. However my father joined the RAF in 1967 and as such got his first passport and due to joining the RAF it was British.
My father has never bother or particulary cared about getting his Irish Passport as it was never any different to having a British one really. He now lives in America and thus as even less of a use to get one.
Question one. As my father was born in "Ireland" at least enough of it to be able to get an Irish passport anyway, could I still apply for Irish citizenship?
Question two. If that would work if I got him to get an Irish passport would that help?
Thank you.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Northern Irish Father, can I claim Irish Citizenship

Post by littlerr » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:31 am

My father was born in Belfast in 1950

You don’t need to ‘apply’ for citizenship. You are automatically an Irish citizen by descent. You can apply for a passport right away (and you can do this online if you now live in the EU/UK). Just make sure you can still find his birth certificate.

Whether he possesses an Irish passport today is irrelevant.

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Re: Northern Irish Father, can I claim Irish Citizenship

Post by avro1959 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:11 am

I suspect it’s always a pleasant surprise to learn that you can’t apply for Irish citizenship because you’re already an Irish citizen! As the previous poster pointed out, all you need is a passport.