ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ShellySA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by ShellySA » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:38 am

If your father was born in Northern Ireland, you don't need to apply for foreign birth registration, you can apply directly for a passport (unless he renounced his citizenship, in which case I am not sure).

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:56 am

inalaska2 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:16 am
New to the board. I am, like you, interested in obtaining Irish Citizenship. I have read the webpage on FBR on the DFA website, but i still have questions. other than calling the phone number on the page, is there another place one can get information? is there an FAQ, etc?

My confusion is this. My father was born in Northern Ireland and left there after WW2 and eventually became an American citizen. I was born after. If i apply for Irish citizenship am I able to do it thru my dad or do i have to go back to his parents, my grandparents. my dad and his parents were born in Northern Ireland.

appreciate thoughts and insight. i've read about the backlog and delays and was hoping to find some similar situations i could read up on before i begin the process.

thanks.

erin
-------------------------------------------------

from the web site:

Eligibility

You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, and was born on the island of Ireland. You don't need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.

If you were born outside of Ireland, you can become an Irish citizen if:

One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or;
One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland.
You are already an Irish citizen as you are the child of a person born on the Island of Ireland prior to 2005. Your father being born in Northern Ireland makes no difference for this, though it may also entitle you to UK citizenship. You can skip the FBR route and apply for an Irish passport directly.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 am

Good news passport received yesterday

Timeline ,
FBR application online 28/12/18
Application received IRE 06/02/19
Citizenship notification e-mail 11/11/19
FBR received

Passport online application 05/01/20
Passport application received 21/01/20
Passport received 06/02/20

Mariecws
Newly Registered

Post by Mariecws » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 pm

seanhodges wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:30 am
Incidentally, my boss was getting jealous because he thought we applied at the same time, but he just tracked down his email and realised he didn't get his application in until April. I persuaded him to ring up and he learned that the delay has extended again after March, so he now faces a month or two before they get to his application.
Hang in there everyone - the team are working through a mountain of paper
Say thanks to your boss for us! I was looking back at old threads and I reread that there was some kind of delay in applications that were submitted at the embassy in London (and potentially others, not sure) and they ended up being sent to dublin for processing en masse in 1 big batch. I found a post that said someone who submitted in London in Sept 18 got a confirmation of docs received in Dublin on 11 March. So by that logic anyone who got docs received after that date might be behind a huge backlog of apps! (Me included)

JaneKnits
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JaneKnits » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Hello all!
I'd dithered about applying for my FBR for over 3 years, and began compiling my documents.
My paternal grandparents were both born in Ireland but my grandfather was easier to get the docs for.
He was born in Belfast in 1900 and was able to get his birth certificate easily due to the info from the 1901 and 1911 Census. He came to NYC when he was 18.

My timeline is as follows:
21/08/2019 - FBR application online/paid fee
30/08/2019 - Mailed/registered all documents
05/09/2019 - E-mail from FBR office confirming receipt of my documents (saying it would take up to 6 months)

Now I wait... I'm hoping that it won't be too long before I hear back though I'm prepared for a 12 month wait.

I appreciate all the info on here as it has been so helpful to me.
Jane

Jordann26
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Jordann26 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 am
cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:51 pm
Do I pay the 300 Euro application free, then print out the application form with my witness' signature to send along with the rest of the documents?
Or is the 300 to be paid after the documents have been sent?
It just confuses me why it says I need to have collected all the documents before completing the application form online.
You pay for it first. Then print the application form.Then you have to finish filling it out & getting witness to sign/date/stamp (or add witnesses business card) etc....just follow the instructions.

They WANT you to have everything else ready. ALL birth,marriage & death certs///photos made ///mailing address docs///I.D.copies should be done. They say this so you can get it all to them soon. If,let's say, you fill it out then can't get a document for whatever reason it slows it all down. The process really doesn't start until they receive your document package with everything it.

Remember to write down the exact application # on the outside of packaging too. It's small but it is on the application.Make a copy of EVERYTHING to keep too.

Good Luck...jgclancy
Hi jgclancy-- My app/docs arrived in Dublin on Feb 4, 2020. I forgot to include my and my siblings application numbers on the outside of the packaging. Have you heard anything about this being a big problem?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Jordann26 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi jgclancy-- My app/docs arrived in Dublin on Feb 4, 2020. I forgot to include my and my siblings application numbers on the outside of the packaging. Have you heard anything about this being a big problem?
I don't know what they do or how they process things. I assume they'll just look inside and find the numbers on the applications. Probably, not a big deal. I've always assumed they just added the application number to a list then put all the paperwork on a shelf until they get to it. If they sent you an email they received your application you're fine. If not then I'd wait a week then call them. Can't hurt to check.

jgclancy

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 am

Jordann26 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 am
cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:51 pm
Do I pay the 300 Euro application free, then print out the application form with my witness' signature to send along with the rest of the documents?
Or is the 300 to be paid after the documents have been sent?
It just confuses me why it says I need to have collected all the documents before completing the application form online.
You pay for it first. Then print the application form.Then you have to finish filling it out & getting witness to sign/date/stamp (or add witnesses business card) etc....just follow the instructions.

They WANT you to have everything else ready. ALL birth,marriage & death certs///photos made ///mailing address docs///I.D.copies should be done. They say this so you can get it all to them soon. If,let's say, you fill it out then can't get a document for whatever reason it slows it all down. The process really doesn't start until they receive your document package with everything it.

Remember to write down the exact application # on the outside of packaging too. It's small but it is on the application.Make a copy of EVERYTHING to keep too.

Good Luck...jgclancy

Do you know it arrived February 4. because the FBR team sent you an email, or because you had tracking on the package?
It seems like they enter the application number onto their system immediately upon receiving the envelope, if the application number is visible. My documents arrived a few days ago; I got the email from FBR confirming receipt a few minutes after the tracked and signed notification email.
If you haven't had the email confirming receipt of documents, I'd imagine they won't send you it until they actually get around the opening the envelope for the first round of scrutiny and checks.

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi
Question about eligibility.

My grandad was born in mayo, he married my nana in Glasgow, my mum was then born in Glasgow. I was also born in Glasgow before my grandad died. So my mums Irish passport application is currently being processed Via the online option. once she gets all the birth certs/docs back I’ll then reuse them to apply for my FBR.

My question is
My youngest brother was born a month after my grandad died. Can he apply for FBR? Is he still eligible?
I don’t know why, but I always assumed that the grandparent and grandchild both had to be alive at the same time for FBR to be a possibility

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:17 pm

2nd question regarding FBR

My grandads Irish death cert said his marital status was ‘widowed’, which isn’t true, he and my nana actually divorced, he moved back to Ireland and she ultimately outlived him by 10 years or so.

When the FBR application asks about the grandparent, it asks his marital status but only gives options for ‘married, single or divorced’.

So he was technically divorced but his death certificate says widowed, which is obviously quite conflicting. What should I enter and will it matter much to my application. ?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:19 pm

MKCG wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:06 pm
Hi

My grandad was born in mayo, he married my nana in Glasgow, my mum was then born in Glasgow. I was also born in Glasgow before my grandad died. So my mums Irish passport application is currently being processed Via the online option. once she gets all the birth certs/docs back I’ll then reuse them to apply for my FBR.

My question is
My youngest brother was born a month after my grandad died. Can he apply for FBR? Is he still eligible?
I don’t know why, but I always assumed that the grandparent and grandchild both had to be alive at the same time for FBR to be a possibility
Just need one grandparent born in Ireland. Grandparent does NOT have to be alive when you or your brother were born. My grandfather died 4 years before I was born.
On a different note- if someone obtains Irish citizenship now through a grandparent they cannot pass it on to any children born before they obtained citizenship via FBR.

jgclancy

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:30 pm

MKCG wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:17 pm

My grandads Irish death cert said his marital status was ‘widowed’, which isn’t true, he and my nana actually divorced, he moved back to Ireland and she ultimately outlived him by 10 years or so.

When the FBR application asks about the grandparent, it asks his marital status but only gives options for ‘married, single or divorced’.

So he was technically divorced but his death certificate says widowed, which is obviously quite conflicting. What should I enter and will it matter much to my application. ?
Death certificates are known to have erroneous information. You should just check divorced. You can add a letter explaining the discrepancy.

jgclancy

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:32 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:19 pm
MKCG wrote:
Hi

My question is
Just need one grandparent born in Ireland. Grandparent does NOT have to be alive when you or your brother were born. My grandfather died 4 years before I was born.
On a different note- if someone obtains Irish citizenship now through a grandparent they cannot pass it on to any children born before they obtained citizenship via FBR.

jgclancy
Great news
Thanks
I’ll let him know

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:35 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:30 pm
MKCG wrote:

Death certificates are known to have erroneous information. You should just check divorced. You can add a letter explaining the discrepancy.

jgclancy
Ok, I will do
I don’t suppose it matters too much, it doesn’t conflict my line of blood/decent in any way, shape or form. We have all relevant docs So it should be ok I’d imagine

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 pm

MKCG wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:32 pm
Great news
Thanks
I’ll let him know
Just FYI - you and your brother can apply at the same time and both use the same documents for your grandparent & parent. Just need separate application forms & each of your individual documents. Best to
put everybody's documents into separate well labeled folders( put both of your application numbers on the outside of package as well)

Good luck -- jgclancy

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 pm
MKCG wrote:
Great news
Thanks
I’ll let him know
Just FYI - you and your brother can apply at the same time and both use the same documents for your grandparent & parent. Just need separate application forms & each of your individual documents. Best to
put everybody's documents into separate well labeled folders( put both of your application numbers on the outside of package as well)

Good luck -- jgclancy
Thanks
I don’t think he’ll bother doing it for a while. It’s easy £300 between the FBR & passport. But as I say I’m all set to go when my mum gets all her docs back from her passport application

PD9
Newly Registered

Post by PD9 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:27 pm

MKCG wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 pm
jgclancy wrote:
MKCG wrote:
Great news
Thanks
I’ll let him know

Good luck -- jgclancy
Thanks
I don’t think he’ll bother doing it for a while. It’s easy £300 between the FBR & passport. But as I say I’m all set to go when my mum gets all her docs back from her passport application
Hi, I would encourage you to try and convince your brother submit an application with yours, it makes sense on so many levels. I’ve done the same with my younger brother. One envelope and set of documents, which can be witnessed and stamped at the same time. As others have noted the only thing he needs to do is complete an application form.

In terms of time, he would be saving at least 1 year sending it with yours and ensures the documents are back with your family after ~12 months and not going out again for another year.

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm

PD9 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:27 pm
MKCG wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 pm
jgclancy wrote:
MKCG wrote:
Great news
Thanks
I’ll let him know

Good luck -- jgclancy
Thanks
Hi, I would encourage you to try and convince your brother submit an application with yours, it makes sense on so many levels. I’ve done the same with my younger brother. One envelope and set of documents, which can be witnessed and stamped at the same time. As others have noted the only thing he needs to do is complete an application form.

In terms of time, he would be saving at least 1 year sending it with yours and ensures the documents are back with your family after ~12 months and not going out again for another year.
I will spk to him about it.
But With it just being after Xmas I’d imagine the £300 will be the issue more than anything.

He can always re-order the relevant certs if needs be. I’ve got all the receipts and info of where he can find them. I ordered all 7 fresh certs, over the 3 generations and just opted to keep our originals, just Incase.

Has there been any in-cling that the Irish gov May remove the grandparent descent FBR route??

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Iamsouthy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:51 am
Well, I'm quickly coming up on the 1 year mark since my application was received in Dublin (sent from Toronto). I was emailed Feb 19, 2019 saying everything was recieved and nothing since. This is ridiculous how people from March 2019 are receiving theirs before mine. Maybe there is a bias against Canadians? Haha.

I was originally told Dec 2019 back in May 2019 from a phone call to Dublin. So who knows when I'll get mine.

I have a job offer march 25th from Germany and I need to prove my Irish citizenship showing I'm a EU citizen.

Side note, has anyone tries getting their FBR faster by trying to use FedEx or express shipping? Id rather not wait 1 month to receive my certificate. With FedEx it would take 5 days or so to Toronto..
Hey!

Looks like you and I are in the same situation. I also applied from Toronto, it was received January 10th of last year. I received my FBR December 23rd and immediately sent out for my passport. I am actually supposed to start a new job in Amsterdam for March 1st but have had to push it back to May with my new employers. I thought all I needed was a euro citizenship, but you also need to have the Irish passport in order to work in a country in the EU thats not Ireland. The passport turn around time for Canada is 12-14 weeks.

I suggest you get your passport document from the Irish embassy in Toronto, have it all filed out because its tricky and you need several pieces of physical mail and likely need to talk to a lawyer. Also call the Irish Embassy in Ireland, they will tell you where your FBR is at.

Let me know how it goes.

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by seanhodges » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am

MKCG wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Has there been any inkling that the Irish gov May remove the grandparent descent FBR route??
I believe it is in the Irish constitution and would therefore require a referendum to remove.
It's also in the constitution that non-resident Irish nationals (what we are hoping to become!) have no entitlement to vote in national elections, so the huge numbers of us new-irish can have no impact on their national politics.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 am

seanhodges wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am
MKCG wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Has there been any inkling that the Irish gov May remove the grandparent descent FBR route??
I believe it is in the Irish constitution and would therefore require a referendum to remove.
It's also in the constitution that non-resident Irish nationals (what we are hoping to become!) have no entitlement to vote in national elections, so the huge numbers of us new-irish can have no impact on their national politics.
On the propossed referendum on voting , it is only for the presidential election and not for the general election. No date has yet been set for this

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am

MKCG wrote:
Hi

My question is
Your brother is eligible. There's no requirement for the grandparent to be living.

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered

Post by tom_bcfc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Recieved my foriegn birth certificate on 4th Feb and sent it to cork on the same day with passport form and docs. They recieved the docs on the tracker 6 days after I sent it. And my estimated passport delivery date to UK address is 09/03/20, so passport takes 5 weeks to UK.....so that makes the whole process for me 3 days shy of a year!! Not bad

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm

jgclancy wrote:
MKCG wrote:

jgclancy
Quick update on this

We have found the divorce decree. It’s £32 for an original copy from Edinburgh Supreme Court.

Do you think it’s worthy to buy it & put into in the application pack with an explanation note, or rather our lack of explanation as to how it’s incorrect. Because we genuinely don’t know why it says widowed. He was estranged for a long time to my gran and my mother at the time of his death. But all his family in mayo are adamant that he never remarried.

Although that being said, Whether he was divorced or widowed I don’t see how it changes anything in relation to line of descent.

It’s Just conflicting the death certificate slightly and he obviously wasn’t alive to amend it.

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 pm

MKCG wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm
jgclancy wrote:
MKCG wrote:

jgclancy
Quick update on this

We have found the divorce decree. It’s £32 for an original copy from Edinburgh Supreme Court.

Do you think it’s worthy to buy it & put into in the application pack with an explanation note, or rather our lack of explanation as to how it’s incorrect. Because we genuinely don’t know why it says widowed. He was estranged for a long time to my gran and my mother at the time of his death. But all his family in mayo are adamant that he never remarried.

Although that being said, Whether he was divorced or widowed I don’t see how it changes anything in relation to line of descent.

It’s Just conflicting the death certificate slightly and he obviously wasn’t alive to amend it.

I had a slight discrepancy on my grandparent's death certificate as well. I enclosed a letter explaining it, which I have been advised will be sufficient. My family are also looking into having the death registration corrected.
I don't know if that is an option for you, but if you are really concerned about this affecting your application, you can look into contacting the registrar where the death is registered and providing proof that the original information was incorrect. A corrected certificate can then be issued.