ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for wife - 5 yrs route - new or exisitng service

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zimba
Mood:

Re: ILR for wife - 5 yrs route - new or exisitng service

Post by zimba » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:01 pm

n8net wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 am
any1 please confirm my understanding is correct as above?
Yes if applied within the UK
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks Zimba..yes all applications have been in country so this one also.

glad to know ILR req has not changed since I applied.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:45 pm

guys, I am staring all the paper work for my wife. But, I notice her original Home country passport has now expired.

will this be a problem ? if so how can I rectify this ?

of course, re-newing with the home embassy is an option, but she likes to change her Maiden name into marriage name now. Will this be a problem for settlement visa application (5 year rule)

as always appreciate your input/advice.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 pm

She needs a valid passport. No issue re name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 pm

thanks, but so that Understand this,

what is the premise for needing a valid Home country passport ? surely previously UK issued BRP should be sufficient for identify ?

also, I was wondering if she changes name, would it not be difficult to prove cohabitation etc. as all such documents would be on the old name ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 pm

You need a valid passport to make an immigration application. A UK issued brp is not proof of nationality and identity of the home country!

Presumably you have marriage very to prove the name change!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm

of course we have the marriage cert. so does the HO been submitting with previous application, notably the initial entry visa as PBS dependant.

about name change, wifey wants to gets funky and change the spelling in her first name slightly for numerology reasons as well..and this is what I am worried.

do I then need name change deed poll like UK citizens do as well...this is what I am most confused about...

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 pm

n8net wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm
of course we have the marriage cert. so does the HO been submitting with previous application, notably the initial entry visa as PBS dependant.

about name change, wifey wants to gets funky and change the spelling in her first name slightly for numerology reasons as well..and this is what I am worried.

do I then need name change deed poll like UK citizens do as well...this is what I am most confused about...
You can use your married surname in the UK along with a marriage certificate. No need for a deed poll
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm

just to confirm,
her name on old passport is AAA BBB
same on our mariiage certificate and all BRPs and all other docs (council tax etc)

she wants to have the following name in the new home country passport
CCC DDDD

no deed poll is need? no confusion in trying to prove cohabiation etc..

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:45 pm

She can use her married surname I said. If she is changing her first name, then she can send the new passport and explain this. Again, deed poll is not necessary

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:51 pm

cheers Zimba,
this begs the question how I prove 'AAA' is in fact CCCC that I married to and not some body else without any official documentation ?

or HO will be sensible enough to see through this ?

worried if this all worth the hassle....dont want her ILR to be in jeopardy because of a different spelling....

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:26 pm

They are not idiots. You should submit both her old and new passports (at least the copy of the old one). They see these things on regular basis

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Zimba,

sorry for the late reply..Coronavirus had not been kind.

you may have misunderstood since her old home passport is expired and we do not yet have a new passport!

She may not need one as after applying for ILR and subsequently BC, she would get the British Passport.
or do you think I need to get her a new home country issued passport under the new name?

this seems complicated to me as I might put her ILR application itself in risk due to name mismatch in the applications and the supporting docs.

also, I hv another issue, when trying to book for her Life In the UK tests, it asks for the name as shown in the BRP, which is her old name, so the certificate also gonna be under the old name.

so to make the matters easier, I am thinking of applying under the old name and change later or look into this while applying for BC as the important thing for her is to have the passport under new name, not the BRP.

regarding the Life in the UK tests, is it possible to book multiple test slots at the same time, I hv slot end of this month and just in case she fails to want to have another slot before her current BRP runs out in a month's time.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:26 pm

BOTH names can be used. Either married name or name in the passport.
Zimba wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:45 pm
She can use her married surname I said. If she is changing her first name, then she can send the new passport and explain this. Again, deed poll is not necessary
British citizenship is different as the only name in the current passport can be used to get a British passport. That is NOT relevant for now

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Zimba wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:26 pm
BOTH names can be used. Either married name or name in the passport.
it; not simple as one or the other Zimba, let me give a fictional example, (Mods dont worry abt data protection, as you can see purely fictional celeb names below)

he name is spelled in all official docs as Angelina Jolie, and after marriage, she is not only changing to
Angelina Pitt, but also Anjeleena Pitt. (not the spelling diff in her first name which is for nemerical reasons)

so, what do you suggest is the 'path of least resistnace' for her British passport to end up with 'Anjeleena Pitt'

also Mods, for my second question abt Life in the UK, I believe I need to keep on this thread...and not start a new one ?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:59 pm

I repeated that British citizenship to be ignored for ILR. Proceed with whatever possible for now. You can use a married surname without any legal process in the UK. To change the first name (which is irrelevant to marriage), you must change your name in the country of origin and then in the current passport. However, some countries do NOT allow name changes or they are very strict around that. So people often get ILR, apply for citizenship, get their British passport using the name at birth (or their married surname) and THEN, apply via deed poll to legally change their name legally in the UK and so apply for a new British passport with their new legal name. Again and again, focus on ILR for now. The name uses now will not create issues with the British citizenship.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:26 am

thanks Zimba, for the detailed answer.

will concentrate on the ILR...how about my second question regarding Life in the UK Test which is the only worry for me now.
  • Howz about booking multiple tests at the same time now there seems to be a lot of demand now and reduced capacity and the 7-day mandatory gap between tests. Is that allowed ?

she's has been practicing the free '15' tests on the app which other people suggested on this forum, but today we downloaded the official one from TSO only yo find questions are very different. So we need to go by TSO, I believe?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:05 pm

You can book multiple ones

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 pm

thanks again Zimba.

anything on official TSO app questions being different from the free '15 tests' questions?

might be good to put a shout out so that no one else gets caught out, also some answers also do not match.

for example, the free apps say the number of commonwealth countries as 53, and the TSO says 54 etc...

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:17 pm

n8net wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 pm
thanks again Zimba.

anything on official TSO app questions being different from the free '15 tests' questions?

might be good to put a shout out so that no one else gets caught out, also some answers also do not match.

for example, the free apps say the number of commonwealth countries as 53, and the TSO says 54 etc...
One should never read the LIUK test theory or practice exercises on anonymous websites which usually are outdated despite plenty have followed these and were succeeded. Without reading the official material the preparation wouldn't be satisfactory.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 am

yes, thanks..it's always good to check out official.

she has passed the exam now...but not given the letter, only a ref I could find online..think that is how it is done these days...that is one hoop jumped.

re English, as part of previous FLR(M), she has done Grade 3 (Graded Examination in spoken English) Entry Level certificate in ESOL int'l (spking and listening) (Entry 2) with Merit (awarded by Trinity London), so I think that is ok as well.

so, i am gonna start the application now, how do we apply these days pls ? online or must be form for ILR?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 am

All applications are online.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:51 pm

thanks.. is the above english test can be submitted again as I do not see any validity period ?

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:16 pm

guys In addition to the above, could you confirm, that the application is for wife on 5yr route is SET(M)?

the online checklist - takes me to the flow that says 'I settled on 'another visa' when in fact I settled via Tier 1 - > ILR -> BC. so a bit confused.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Set M is the only form she can apply on, as advised before in this topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)