ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 (YMS) to Partner Visa

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

OhCalcutta
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 5 (YMS) to Partner Visa

Post by OhCalcutta » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 pm

Hello,

I am a Canadian on a Tier 5 (YMS) visa and my partner is an EU citizen but with ILR.

As my visa expires in one year, we want to form a civial partnership and switch from Tier 5 to partner visa so we can stay together in the UK.

I know all about the process of giving notice with the council and waiting 70 days for Home Office to 'investigate'. Everything I've read on these forums sounds like it's pretty straight forward, after the 70 days you can form a civil partnership and then apply for the spouse visa.

However, UK immigration has informed me that because the Tier 5 (YMS) visa is not extendable or switchable, I will have to leave the country to apply. Can anybody confirm this? I was under the impression this visa is switchable from inside the UK.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 5 (YMS) to Partner Visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:27 pm

You don't have to leave. The call centre is outsourced to a third party agent.

A lot depends on whether you are applying for a UK spouse visa under appendix FM or an application for pre settled status under appendix EU, on where your topic will need to be moved to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

OhCalcutta
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by OhCalcutta » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Thank you very much for your response CR001!

I was thinking of calling them a few more times to see if the responses varied...

I was originally thinking to apply through FLR (M) track but am wondering if I would qualify to apply through EU Settlement Scheme? Seems like the latter would be easier?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 pm

EU settlement scheme for pre settled status would be appropriate if your partner is an EU citizen and non British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.